Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 01:53:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
PSYCHOLOGY: Help us build this database.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COMPARISON: PTSD vs BPD  (Read 5147 times)
Skip
Site Director

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »

This will help pt the combined number in perspective

https://bpdfamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/28-of-us-population-have-either-mental.html

Wanna Move On

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »

Wow! (I read the link you posted about raw numbers and perspectives.) Again, wow!

Skip, thanks for such prompt responses. I really appreciate it.
SeaCliff

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »

BPD is also referred to as "Complex PTSD" by many people who work in the health or medical fields. Regardless of the descriptive names given to these behaviors, there are various similar traits shared by BPD and PTSD traits. BPD may be related to childhood traumas and / or external or dietary toxins while Complex PTSD, in turn, may be related to one or more traumatic life events. Either way, one may have a smaller or "zapped" Amygdala, which then may be the catalyst for these behavioral traits.

www.BPD.about.com/od/relatedconditions/a/Complex-PTSD.htm

Quotes: "Complex post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is also sometimes called "disorder of extreme stress not otherwise specified" (DESNOS). This is a condition characterized by three categories of symptoms: emotion dysregulation, dissociation and problems in physical health.

Complex PTSD or DESNOS is thought to result from severe and chronic childhood maltreatment. Complex PTSD is not listed as a separate diagnosis in the DSM-IV; the features of complex PTSD are instead listed as "associated features" of PTSD.

One of the reasons that complex PTSD was left out of the fourth edition of the DSM was that experts in the field felt that this syndrome was so similar to borderline personality (BP) that it did not warrant a separate diagnostic category. Indeed, many of the features of complex PTSD are also core symptoms of BP. A critical difference, however, is that the cause of BP is not always known, whereas complex PTSD can always be traced back to traumatic events.

Emotion Dysregulation

Severe emotion dysregulation is a symptom typical of both complex PTSD and BP. In both conditions, people experience very intense emotions that shift unpredictably and are difficult to soothe.

Dissociation

Both complex PTSD and BP are also associated with dissociation. Dissociation is a state of altered perception that leaves people feeling "unreal," "zoned out," or "numb." In complex PTSD and BP, dissociation is frequent and chronic – it tends to happen often and can continue for long period of time.

Physical Health

Complex PTSD is also associated with problems in physical health, such as chronic pain, a proneness to frequent illnesses and frequent and complex medical problems that do not respond to medical treatment. While physical health problems are not in the diagnostic criteria for BPD, research suggests that many of these same medical problems are associated with BPD."  

Meridius

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 05:43:58 AM »

C-PTSD has been finally included in the ICD-11 classification(Euro), but not the DSM-V(USA)...yet.    I found one interesting article comparing the three diagnoses from a symptoms and behaviours point of view.  

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3402/ejpt.v5.25097?src=recsys#

Table one has a good side by side description of PTSD, C-PTSD and BPD symptoms and behaviours.  You need to click on the "show table" button in the article.

I downloaded and formatted Table 1 directly from the research paper if you can't see it.

My BPDw psychiatric team has named all three at some point in her treatment history.  I'd say seems to have one or more of the three depending on the day.  And oddly, I'm sort of okay with that.  It helps understand why some treatment approaches are working and others aren't.  

I'm not saying I want to stay in the relationship, but it's provides a bit more clarity on what I'm up against.

Logic...is a cold comfort.  Sigh.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:58:48 AM by Meridius » Logged

Easy does it
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy