Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 11, 2024, 10:19:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am giving the r/s another try. This time, it will be different...  (Read 411 times)
Mustbeabetterway

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 24, 2015, 11:36:28 AM »

Hello everyone, you can see from my name that i have been looking for a better way.  Below is the link to my original post (see below).

I have learned a lot by participating in this forum.  I was hesitant to share, but am glad I did.  The suggestions, lessons and understanding I have received has been a balm for me.  Thank you!

I am giving the r/s another try.  This time, it will be different because i am different.  In the past, i had approached my r/s problems from the standpoint that he needed to change.  He was the one with the problems, etc.  etc.  Where did that get me?  Nowhere!  :)oing the same thing but expecting different results - doesn't work out so well.

In the book "Stop Caretaking the BPD or NPD in Your Life" the author says the BPD needs a caretaker.  I have made some major moves to stop taking care of things that he should/could do for himself.  

For example, I have always gotten up early to make his lunch and fix his breakfast.  Once I quit doing these things, he began to do these things for himself.  Wow!  Now I actually have time to fix my own lunch and eat breakfast before work.  :)on't know why it took me so long!

I have also made time to go to dinner with a friend or spend a chunk of time with my daughter and grand daughter.  In the past, I have been unable to enjoy doing these things because I was so afraid he would be mad when I got home.  If he is unreasonably angry, so what!  That is now his problem and not mine.

These are but a few of the examples of progress I have experienced.  I am continuing in T and he is reading his Anger Management book.

I know my troubles are not over, but for now they do not seem unmanageable.  I hope somebody out there finds encouragement from my post.

There is a better way!

I have been in a relationship with my s/o for over 30 years.  We have had good times and bad times.  It has been a roller coaster.  I thought if I could just do things right my s/o would be happy.  Much of the time, I felt that I was just missing something.  I didn't understand why he was so unhappy.  Consequently, I was unhappy much of the time, too.  

Finally, I googled "walking on eggshells" because that is what I felt I was doing.  I was surprised to find out that I wasn't the only one walking on eggshells.  I ordered the book and workbook.  It helped me to feel like I wasn't crazy.  Maybe there was a reason for all of the chaos in our relationship.  I have been saying for years that I would no longer put up with the awful name calling among other things.  Well finally, I left, well actually he forced me out, but this time I have stayed gone for 4 weeks now.  I am in therapy.  He is "not ready" for therapy, but says he will go to Anger Management, only if I come home first.  

I am not inclined to come home because I am finally feeling as if I can breathe.  I am hesitant to throw this relationship away, but I am afraid my reason for staying is to make him happy.  I realize I am deeply enmeshed in the relationship.

Does anyone else think they may be happier split up, but worry about their s/o?

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »

That's great.

I've noticed that you posted mostly on Leaving and Undecided and read Margalis book (she is a friend and member here).

I might suggest that you stay active and work with us here to Learn the tools and apply them.  I'd also suggest reading "Loving a Person with BPD".  This is a great book on tools.

What do you think of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDEc5YteGQ#t=22

ColdEthyl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »

I am glad to hear your commitment to your choice! It's liberating when we figure out we can't control how they respond... .we can only control how WE respond. Good for you! Make sure to keep checking up on these boards for help and support! Smiling (click to insert in post)
Mustbeabetterway

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »

That's great.

I've noticed that you posted mostly on Leaving and Undecided and read Margalis book (she is a friend and member here).

I might suggest that you stay active and work with us here to Learn the tools and apply them.  I'd also suggest reading "Loving a Person with BPD".  This is a great book on tools.

Hello Skip, First thank you for all of the work you have done with this site.  There are so many tools here and lessons to be learned.

I love the book by Margalis.  It just resonated with me.  I go back and read parts as they apply.

I checked out the first video.  I am going to practice.  I have been trying SET.  I am a very logical person.  So i am often ruled by logic and don't express emotion as well.  I think this makes it hard to really listen.  I want to jump in and fix.

Even though I have learned much, I am fearful of being drawn back into the old ways of relating. 

Thank you for the support and encouragement.
Mustbeabetterway

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:51:29 PM »

I am glad to hear your commitment to your choice! It's liberating when we figure out we can't control how they respond... .we can only control how WE respond. Good for you! Make sure to keep checking up on these boards for help and support! Smiling (click to insert in post)

ColdErhyl,  thank you for the support.  I think I will need this forum even more since I will have to apply much of what i have learned here to be able to stay.
ColdEthyl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 03:17:35 PM »

ColdErhyl,  thank you for the support.  I think I will need this forum even more since I will have to apply much of what i have learned here to be able to stay.

Indeed I come here daily for support and new tools to use in my marriage Smiling (click to insert in post)
JohnLove

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 04:41:11 PM »

Thanks for posting that Skip. I thought it was enormously helpful in the "art" of validation. By someone who is an expert in these things because she can see both sides of the coin. As in been there done that... .with a genuine BPD perspective.

Truly helpful. I encourage everyone to watch it even if they think they have validation covered.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest