Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 14, 2024, 02:57:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello, In 6 months I have lost 2 siblings to suicide  (Read 376 times)
josly
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: May 22, 2019, 06:16:54 PM »

Hello. I am reaching out from New Zealand. I have had 40 years with a BPD mother and have only discovered the term in the last few weeks. In 6 months I have lost 2 siblings to suicide, my younger brother at the end of 2018 and my older sister just 3 weeks ago. My sister's death has caused a rather large rift between my mother and myself, and my brother's death had the same effect with my still-living sister and my mother, so not only has she lost 2 children physically, she has alienated herself from 2 still here. I am not very good at reaching out to others, but I would like to hear how others cope with parents with BPD, and do you just know, or is there a diagnosis? I know my mother has had psychiatric care in the past, but she has been very private with that and has not shared if there was a diagnosis or not, or what it may be. My sister and I are aware that there is some issue at play, and episodes have been more frequent in recent years, making it hard to relate to her. We both have anxiety attacks if we know we have to see her!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:11:32 PM by Harri, Reason: changed title according to guideline 1.5 » Logged
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 07:23:50 PM »

Hi Josly and welcome to the board.  I am so sorry to hear about your brother and sister.  Suicide is devastating.  How are you coping?  How can we help you? 

Excerpt
My sister's death has caused a rather large rift between my mother and myself, and my brother's death had the same effect with my still-living sister and my mother, so not only has she lost 2 children physically, she has alienated herself from 2 still here.

Is it more than grief that caused the rift between you and your mom? What is the history there?

Excerpt
I am not very good at reaching out to others, but I would like to hear how others cope with parents with BPD, and do you just know, or is there a diagnosis?

I think a lot of us have difficult reaching out for help.  I know I do.  Coping with a parent with BPD is a challenge for sure and we all do things a bit differently.  It really depends on the issues we are dealing with, where we are in the healing process, our personal values, etc.  We do work together and allow each other space to explore what is right for their own situation.

Some of the family members talked about here are diagnosed with BPD but a lot there is not diagnosis.  Just a guess or sometimes a suggestion made by our own therapist (T). 

Excerpt
My sister and I are aware that there is some issue at play, and episodes have been more frequent in recent years, making it hard to relate to her. We both have anxiety attacks if we know we have to see her!
    We have a lot of articles and tools here that can help in just about all relationships, not just with pwBPD (people with BPD) so in that sense the label does not matter.  Also, a lot of the behaviors seen in BPD are seen in other disorders or even exist in a person but at subclinical levels.

All that to say I think you are in the right place and I hope you settle in, read, and join us as we support each other.

Welcome

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
HappyChappy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 08:28:16 AM »

I am not very good at reaching out to others...We both have anxiety attacks if we know we have to see her!
Hi Josly,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It must be very difficult for you right now. Not reaching out and anxiety, are A typical of children brought up by a BPD parent. I know my BPD and NPD had very odd behaviour which folk on here seemed to recognise instantly. My friends would say its weird, on here they would say "me too" and explain the science behind the behaviour. In other words feel free to say whatever you need too on here. Folk here tend to be very supportive and none judgemental.

You tend to get more feedback if you talk about specifics, like the reasons behind why you and your sister have fallen out. But a BPD parent will always look to set her children against each other, divide and conquer. They are exceptionally good at doing that, and its done on purpose. One method of doing this is triangulation. Were one child is all good, the other all bad and the third maybe ignored.

On a lighter note, Flight of the Concord, a comedy band form New Zealand, have helped me deal with all this (laughter is the best medicine), they are without doubt the best in the world at what they do. Welcome to the forum. I'll look out for your replies. 

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. Wilde.
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »

My heart hurts when I hear how you are hurting having two siblings who committed suicide in the past six months and a mother with BPD. You say you would like to hear from others with a mother with BPD. I have a mother and my only two living siblings with BPD and NPD. I would say that the secrecy around the mental illness and being in a family where feelings are mismanaged are the most destructive forces. I am still learning about how to stay present in the moment managing my feelings while accepting that I cannot control the behaviors of my family members with mental illness. Can you tell us more about what you are doing for self care and what kind of relationship you anticipate having with your mother and sister going forward? Do let us know how we can be the most helpful. We are here to support you and listen. Keep us posted on how  you are doing. You can post as often as you like, and there is no limit on the length of posts.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 11:36:30 PM »

I'm so sorry for the loss of your siblings,  josly, that's a huge and painful loss to deal with and I'm sure there was a painful history there,  too.

Excerpt
My sister's death has caused a rather large rift between my mother and myself

What went on which resulted in this rift in your time of grief?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest