Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 09:56:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: 40 years later: First love of my life has reappeared Pt. 2  (Read 524 times)

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Unknown at this point

« on: February 26, 2024, 07:55:29 AM »

Link back to original thread: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=357300.0

Hello Notwendy. I appreciate the input, from the perspective of a woman. Hopefully that is ok saying that!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) I haven’t got much of a clue anymore.

I had a text message exchange with girlfriend #3. She was rather polite, almost humble. She wanted to sort out some loose ends with some things we jointly own. The conversation went down memory lane a bit and I have to say it made me feel sad. This was a long term relationship of 10 years. She was in her mid 30’s when I met her. I have know her for a quarter of my life. I guess what I am saying is I am mourning the loss. Then there was a moment when suddenly she switched tonight and the accusations and anger spilt out. I was transported back in time instantly and went into validation mode. Things settled down a little and I left the conversation.

Tonight I am reflecting on this.

If I hadn’t been jolted to my senses by girlfriend #1 appearing unexpectedly, I would indeed be there tonight with #3, fending off the gaslighting, wondering whether I might be sleeping in bed with her or in my car…. wondering what might be thrown at me as I beat a hasty retreat. I don’t have to worry about that with #1.

It isn’t until you are removed from the thick of it that you can see the situation from afar. I think if we stay in these relationships for a long time there is a chance we’ll end up psychologically damaged. And maybe this is making me overthink girlfriend #1. Her kindness might not be love-bombing at all. I think the way foreward is to lighten up a bit and take things slowly. And that goes for both of us.

I should count my blessings!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 06:27:14 PM by SinisterComplex » Logged
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 11:22:48 AM »

Hello Notwendy. I appreciate the input, from the perspective of a woman. Hopefully that is ok saying that!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) I haven’t got much of a clue anymore.

Tonight I am reflecting on this.

If I hadn’t been jolted to my senses by girlfriend #1 appearing unexpectedly, I would indeed be there tonight with #3, fending off the gaslighting, wondering whether I might be sleeping in bed with her or in my car…. wondering what might be thrown at me as I beat a hasty retreat. I don’t have to worry about that with #1.

It isn’t until you are removed from the thick of it that you can see the situation from afar. I think if we stay in these relationships for a long time there is a chance we’ll end up psychologically damaged. And maybe this is making me overthink girlfriend #1. Her kindness might not be love-bombing at all. I think the way foreward is to lighten up a bit and take things slowly. And that goes for both of us.

I should count my blessings!

I don't mind! I read a book a while ago "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus" which probably is a simplified and possibly not as acceptable today as it was then. What stood out to me as true-at least for me was the idea that women "talk" to emotionally connect while men tend to hear this talk as problem solving and offer a solution. So if someone offers a quick solution, it feels a bit disconnected somehow.

You know she likes music- but what genre? I like music but also had to Google "Space is the Place" as it's not something I have heard of. It looks interesting but might not be someone's top choices for favorite music since it may not have been as well known, so one idea is to ask her- what artists do you like and then send something from one of them. You can still share your interests too. Aim for some reciprocity- you share your interests but also be curious and listen to/look at some of hers. Also be true to yourself. It's OK to have different interests but you can find some overlap.

Also with WW2 discussions. How you share your interest can have an impression. There's the history, the international politics, the lessons learned from it- horrible things happened that should not ever again happen- which is why we should not forget them.  Same with crime documentaries. Understanding what happened, taking steps to prevent them, and restoring justice is the goal for these.

Taking things slow and getting to know each other better sounds like a good plan--

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 08:16:58 PM »

I am really confused. I guess that is why I am writing in the Conflicted area of BPDFamily.

Things with girlfriend#1 are not good. A couple of days ago she was up late trying to get a college assignment in by midnight. In the morning I saw she had sent messages that she hadn’t completed it. I sent her a message empathising. When she replied she said she was over the whole message thing.That I am not responding to her messages or they are going unread. She said “Which is frustrating, given how often I need to tell you how unhappy I am about your effect on me”.

She then said she had a mountain of work to do so she is ending our pen palship. She says it has more to do with how I am strongly opposed to the things she does, such as writing songs, and nearly everything else she does as well. “It has become an ongoing and stressful imaginary conversation running most of the time in my mind, you criticising everything I do.” It ends by her saying she is going cold turkey and it will be a relief not to hear my degrading opinions anymore.

I replied “ok, I have read your message. Message understood.”

The next day, yesterday, I have an email titled ‘Hard Line’ in my inbox. She acknowledges the “brutal line she drew with a poisoned nib across the papery throat of our friendship”. Then she tells me how effective it has been for her in that my demeaning commentary has less air time in her mind. She says she is dropping units with her study, says she needs to get on top of things… She blames me for interrupting things by appearing in her life. And then she says, “by the same token, I really miss you. And my desire for contact increases. Will you please answer your  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) telephone?”

Sorry for all the copy and pasting, he said she said. I am trying to make sense of this. (we interrupt this broadcast with an important message:  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post))

A week ago or so she tells me she wishes I’d put more energy into sex than the other obsessions I have. So I ask her what she means. She tells me she wants me to tie her up. The problem is she isn’t sure she can trust me with that yet. So this is a different rope analogy to the other one mentioned earlier! Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

So yesterday I replied to her email. I told her she had been very clear identifying what she dislikes about me, yet she is trying to connect with me. She wants me to tie her up, and tell me she has all of these other ‘suitors’ materialising out of thin air. I reminded her that it was her who showed up in my life, this time. I told her I didn’t know what to make of any of this.

There was back snd forth emails into the evening. I am being accused of ‘toxic sabbotage’ and that it is all a practical joke to me in order to have ‘mean fun’. I denied this, which did no good.

So today I am bedridden. Luckily my autistic son is doing activities with his worker, so I don’t have that to contend with. I have not emailed #1. When I spoke to my psychologist on Friday he was explaining happy relationships and healthy ones. His take on this is that relationships are happy all of the time, but people in healthy relationships don’t call each other names. He was questioning me whether I would want ten years of this. The answer is no, I don’t.

I am pretty depressed today. I was just looking at my messages from girlfriend #3. She has been messaging daily. Wanting to know where this all went wrong and how she can be a better person in relationship. It is very sad. I am thinking very hard about this. I suspect, as I have before, that we are the problem. It is a scary thought. Perhaps Girlfriend #1 has a valid point. Maybe I am very negative. She is telling me she perceives it as so. Being in a war zone since 1966 hasn’t been easy. Surely that will make me view the world though s Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) tinted glasses?

I think I need that time alone to look at myself. I really can’t go leaping into another relationship/war.

I haven’t given up yet guys! Hoping to smell the roses soon, even if they are the ones on my own grave! Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 08:22:01 PM »

sorry, I cannot edit. I meant to say, the psychologist said relationships are NOT happy all of the time…..
Notwendy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 04:53:27 AM »

So today I am bedridden. Luckily my autistic son is doing activities with his worker, so I don’t have that to contend with.

He (therapist) was questioning me whether I would want ten years of this. The answer is no, I don’t.

I am pretty depressed today.

I think I need that time alone to look at myself. I really can’t go leaping into another relationship/war

While there's the question of what issues GF#1 might have- I think you can turn the focus to you- how is this affecting you? Is this good for you?

I think you have answered this- no- it's stressful to the point where you feel depressed and unable to function. You can decide to not be in a relationship with either of them. You have left a disordered relationship with GF#3- you are not obligated to go back or to explain at this point. With GF#1- she is the one who initiated this- you can also have your say in where this goes.

Your therapist can help you with what to say. In general it's best to make this about you, not her- or that can become a circular argument and hurtful. You can say something like "I am not in a place emotionally to be in a relationship at this time and it's best we don't continue" and this works with GF#3".

Looking at yourself doesn't mean there must be something wrong with you- it's that this relationship is causing you stress and depression. You can decide to not continue to be in this situation- for your own emotional well being.
Notwendy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 04:54:57 AM »

We can't edit- this should say

Your therapist can help you with what to say. In general it's best to make this about you, not her- or that can become a circular argument and hurtful. You can say something like "I am not in a place emotionally to be in a relationship at this time and it's best we don't continue" (and this works with GF#3 if you need to say this to her too).

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 09:27:05 PM »

Thanks Notwendy. I need to hear this. I am still stuck in the twilight zone, neither here nor there.

Having girlfriend #1 appear has complicated my life more than ever. It did however allow me to see and experience relief from the increasing drama of girlfriend #3. The problem is, I feel I am walking into a similar relationship as before.

Yesterday it was my 32 year old son’s birthday. His mother whom I have had almost no contact with for over a decade is in town until sunday and she came over for a visit. It was an interesting visit. After a couple of hours she says she heard I was not in a relationship anymore. This would have been information she received via my kids. I told her I was not and really needed to be single. She was pressing me about what happened but I didn’t reveal much in detail. Later she tells me she was watching some serial killer documentaries which she found disturbing. I commented that the two individuals she mentioned were very unwell and possibly borderline. She said, “yeah right. I had a psychologist say I might be borderline once. I don’t think itks true though”. This is a person who had scars on her wrists when I met her in 1988. I went on a road trip with her to see a band in 2008, for old times sake. It ended with her slashing her wrists in a hotel room because she saw a young girl talking to me.

Girlfriend #1 emails me last night whilst I was asleep. She is pet sitting on a farm 30km from here for the next few weeks. I responded to her email politely this morning. She just sent me a reply saying she is dead, having a funeral tomorrow, I am required to attend alone, wrap her up in sheer red muslin and tie her in red hemp rope.

And 16km north is girlfriend #3. She was sending me Philip Larkin poetry last night. I messaged her back a bit but she suddenly went cold leaving a sarcastic hurt message regarding my son’s birthday. And I was starting to think I was missing her!

I am fairly certain I have attracted very similar partners in all three of my relationships. That is rather alarming. It is telling me I need to have a good look at myself. I see the psychologist again on the 22nd of March.

Time to re-read that thread here about ‘attracting crazy’.
Notwendy

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 04:29:30 AM »

I think a big question is- can you manage being single and on your own?

You seem to be managing and then one of them emails you and somehow you feel pulled in.

Relationships take two people. There's the idea of "attracting crazy" but also- "saying no to crazy". It's possible that two people meet each other and are inititially attracted to each other. They don't know each other well. As the relationship continues, one person may discover the relationship isn't compatible- so they end the relationship.

Why don't people leave disordered relationships? I think that's a complicated question but something to bring up with your therapist. You will always have some contact with the mother of your children- as parents but that's a different relationship.

I agree -GF #1 sending strange emails- that's strange. GF#3 is abusive to you. The question though is - if you see that your relationship with them is disordered, why are you still in some kind of "relationship" with them both- and you can't stop contact?

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 07:34:39 AM »

You pose some very good questions. I do a lot of reading here on the website. It is common to see somebody write, “your partner is just like mine”! And yes, they are alike, but equally we are alike too.

So why do we stick around? We should really be looking at ourselves. We can identify the BPD behaviour, but what about our own? I will be talking to my psychologist about this in future sessions.

Meanwhile, last night, I stayed with Girlfriend #1 who is house sitting half an hour away in the mountains this nice hippie cabin with two cats. It was pleasant enough and we enjoyed each others company. We did talk about this idea of a relationship. It was not easy for me, but I had to tell her that I am in no place to commit to a relationship with anybody right now. I think she could see that this is the case. I am still trying to recover or even detatch from the most recent relationship. Also, as nice as some of her qualities are, I am not sure we are a match. She is way easier to get along with than #3, but I guess if I am honest, I might be ‘addicted to crazy’. I seriously have some problems!

I’ll write more later. Perhaps others can relate?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest