Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 13, 2024, 05:44:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do your BPD spouse act bad during holidays/special occasions?  (Read 3375 times)
Silveron

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 05, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »

Seems like just about all holidays and especially special occasions (such as the non-BPD birthday) they seem like they purposely try to ruin the day?  My BPD wife is like this, during xmas time (we have a 6 year old daughter) she will make things difficult with things such as going to my family's place and just her lack of agreeing to being at a place at a certain time.

My bday is tomorrow and I already know she's going to make it a difficult day for me.  All I wanted was for us three to go to the movies tomorrow night, my daughter has been wanting to see that new movie.  Of course my wife decides to tell my daughter and me that if I am taking her, that she is not going.  My daughter who has major anxiety over her mother is now crying saying she doesn't want to go if mom doesn't go.  I told my daughter she earned this because she has been doing so well.  Seeing the pain in our daughter's eyes, my wife reacts without emotion. 

The past few birthdays have been ruined.  Last year, she came out with me to a bar (she met me, though it was almost midnight) so I spent most of the night by myself.  I put music in the jukebox and she flipped out when she didn't like what I played and left by herself. 

Is it me or is it common for BPDs to act really bad when there is a special day that is not about them?
PHDnon

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 02:42:40 PM »

Y.E.S.  I was just explaining this very point a few days ago.  It was a sh1t storm if it was a common holiday (xmas, thanksgiving, easter, memorial day, etc) or someone else's special day (birthday, graduation, 1st time moving into the college dorm, etc.)  .  Her birthday... .NEVER.  Valentines Day... .that was 50/50 if I "performed" up to expectations.  Wedding anniversary... .see Valentines Day.

But she didn't need a special occasion to act bad... .I could have set a watch to it... .every three weeks for nearly 20 years.  Unless I told her something funny that happened at work... .and then it was a sh1t storm over how it was obviously inappropriate.

Silveron

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 02:50:08 PM »

Glad to know I am not the only one.  I just found this site a couple of months ago, I had no idea what BPD was.  Been married to her for 10 years.  A year ago we went to a psychologist and she told me my wife needed years of therapy, but didn't tell me what she thought was wrong with her.  BPD fits her to a tee, so I can now see why the psychologist told me what she did.

Thing is, when I was friends with her and dating, she didn't exhibit these signs, it wasn't until we were engaged and she moved in.  I first thought it was just her nerves (she pushed for a fast wedding) and since then it's just been very hard.

I also seem to get a lot of 'blanket' statements.  Such as Tuesday night, she went into a rage and was telling me how 'awful' I am and how I should just kill myself.  I asked her to give me a specific example of why she thinks I am so bad... Her reaction was to say 'You suck'.  She couldn't give any.  By no means am I perfect but I don't deserve to be labeled like this, especially in front of our daughter.

The more I read about BPD the more I realize that she's not going to get better and I am not going to get the relationship that I was promised by her when we married...
Tim300

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 03:07:34 PM »

Thing is, when I was friends with her and dating, she didn't exhibit these signs, it wasn't until we were engaged and she moved in.  I first thought it was just her nerves (she pushed for a fast wedding) and since then it's just been very hard.

It's difficult for people who haven't been through this to understand.  We understand here.  Mine acted a bit funny at times before we got engaged, but it really wasn't until we got engaged that the mask came off.  And then when we moved in together she kept herself together for maybe about 6 weeks before things really got crazy.

Regarding the holidays: Yes, I think the holidays do seem to trigger drama for them.  We were only together for 2.5 years but I had begun to see the pattern.  For example, Valentine's Day last year was ruined for no reason.  I had kinda begun to expect some drama on holidays, like it was normal. 
PHDnon

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »

Mine acted a bit funny at times before we got engaged, but it really wasn't until we got engaged that the mask came off.  And then when we moved in together she kept herself together for maybe about 6 weeks before things really got crazy.

Normalcy for us lasted four months.  The intermittent crazy started when we moved in together.  And then it shot to the moon once we married.  Not gradually but the VERY NEXT Day! 

From what I have read and what I have been told by my T, it is part of the pattern... .they moderate it to the best they can until they know that you are "theirs"
BestVersionOfMe

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »

Seems like just about all holidays and especially special occasions (such as the non-BPD birthday) they seem like they purposely try to ruin the day?  My BPD wife is like this, during xmas time (we have a 6 year old daughter) she will make things difficult with things such as going to my family's place and just her lack of agreeing to being at a place at a certain time.

My bday is tomorrow and I already know she's going to make it a difficult day for me.  All I wanted was for us three to go to the movies tomorrow night, my daughter has been wanting to see that new movie.  Of course my wife decides to tell my daughter and me that if I am taking her, that she is not going.  My daughter who has major anxiety over her mother is now crying saying she doesn't want to go if mom doesn't go.  I told my daughter she earned this because she has been doing so well.  Seeing the pain in our daughter's eyes, my wife reacts without emotion. 

The past few birthdays have been ruined.  Last year, she came out with me to a bar (she met me, though it was almost midnight) so I spent most of the night by myself.  I put music in the jukebox and she flipped out when she didn't like what I played and left by herself. 

Is it me or is it common for BPDs to act really bad when there is a special day that is not about them?

Yep almost always.  Life is zero sum gain so if you are happy or it is your day that means she loses.  She can't lose.  Her fragile self esteem won't handle that well.
PHDnon

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 03:26:16 PM »

I also seem to get a lot of 'blanket' statements. 

Ditto.  Watch for blanket modifiers... .ALL women, No woman, ALL men, No man, All healthy relationships, and on and on and on... .I don't think mine ever said "some" in her lifetime.  

I once attended a biz dinner with 8 men and 1 woman.  Later that night when I got home, it was "No woman should go to dinner with 8 men" and "all good husbands would not go to that dinner because the woman was there" and "all wives would have a problem with that"... .

Tim300

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »

From what I have read and what I have been told by my T, it is part of the pattern... .they moderate it to the best they can until they know that you are "theirs"

Sounds right to me.  Part of it seems like they intentionally keep their behavior under wraps until they have you.  I guess in some ways BPD is often just an extreme version of Non behavior.  When a Non gets married he might not always "put his best foot forward" as much.  A pwBPD takes this to another level and starts belittling you intermittently.  

But part of it also seems to be that the intensity of the relationship picks up and this drives the pwBPD bonkers.  I mean, the fears of abandonment seemed to intensify when I moved in with her (which in a normal world doesn't make any sense -- the fears of abandonment should have subsided).

cloudten

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »

YES YES YES.

Mine even went so far this year to say "Can we please have one holiday without drama?"

I said "YES!" and then thought "PLEASE! Because you are the one that CREATES the drama so you have something to rage about!"

I doesn't even have to be a holiday- it can be any important event going on... I have 3 coming up. A bar mitzvah for my boss' son this saturday, his mother's birthday next week, and my sister's wedding next month. If there is any drama at these 2 events coming up- i will absolutely be done with him before my sister's wedding. I will absolutely not tolerate any drama at her wedding. period.

I do have to say, the first holiday or 2, my codependent self thought that i was the one that created the drama. nope! him! every darn time.
Tim300

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 03:45:54 PM »

YES YES YES.

Mine even went so far this year to say "Can we please have one holiday without drama?"

I said "YES!" and then thought "PLEASE! Because you are the one that CREATES the drama so you have something to rage about!"

I doesn't even have to be a holiday- it can be any important event going on... I have 3 coming up. A bar mitzvah for my boss' son this saturday, his mother's birthday next week, and my sister's wedding next month. If there is any drama at these 2 events coming up- i will absolutely be done with him before my sister's wedding. I will absolutely not tolerate any drama at her wedding. period.

I do have to say, the first holiday or 2, my codependent self thought that i was the one that created the drama. nope! him! every darn time.

Special events became dicey for me as well.  In fact, I wouldn't 100% confirm my attendance to anything.  I mean, it got to the point with close friends where I would have to say something like, "There is a 90% chance I will make it depending on if [ex] is acting up, and it's possible that I will go but she won't."  How embarrassing, but this is what it became.  I really, really wish I had swept us both off in a cab as we were approaching my buddy's birthday party near the end of our relationship -- she threatened to make a scene, and she certainly, certainly did.  It was perhaps the most embarrassing and traumatic sequence of events in my life and it pretty much ruined any chance of our relationship being on track.  Lesson learned is that if your pwBPD is dysregulating as you're approaching an important event, get the pwBPD out of there and leave yourself if you need to, no matter how important the event.

It seemed like my pwBPD got a high off of acting up as we were approaching an event that she knew was important to me.  Like she knew this was the point at which she could exert a lot of power.
cloudten

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 03:56:31 PM »

Special events became dicey for me as well.  In fact, I wouldn't 100% confirm my attendance to anything.  I mean, it got to the point with close friends where I would have to say something like, "There is a 90% chance I will make it depending on if [ex] is acting up, and it's possible that I will go but she won't."  How embarrassing, but this is what it became.  I really, really wish I had swept us both off in a cab as we were approaching my buddy's birthday party near the end of our relationship -- she threatened to make a scene, and she certainly, certainly did.  It was perhaps the most embarrassing and traumatic sequence of events in my life and it pretty much ruined any chance of our relationship being on track.  Lesson learned is that if your pwBPD is dysregulating as you're approaching an important event, get the pwBPD out of there and leave yourself if you need to, no matter how important the event.

It seemed like my pwBPD got a high off of acting up as we were approaching an event that she knew was important to me.  Like she knew this was the point at which she could exert a lot of power.

OH MY GOSH YES! I think all of my friends believe I have become such a flake because I never commit to anything 100% anymore, especially if he is involved.  I even told my exhusband yesterday that I don't know if I want to take BPDbf to the bar mitzvah and that it would be an extremely last minute decision.

I am so sorry about what your ex did! Huh- interesting- that she could exert a lot of power. Eeek... .that makes me so scared for Saturday!
Silveron

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 07:17:06 AM »

Well my birthday is today and last night she ruined it.  She has been really verbally abusive for the past few months and last night she just snapped at me for no reason.  I asked her ':)o you even love me?' and she said 'No'.  That the times she told me she loved me was to 'shut me up'.  Our daughter was upset and was clutching onto my wife's scarf.  My wife was even physically trying to pull it out of her hands with force.  My wife continued her barrage of verbal attacks on me and went upstairs.  It was 10:30 at night and my daughter asked if we could sleep somewhere else.

I would but it was too late and she had school, I told my wife that we are sleeping downstairs and if you come down to start anything I am calling the police and we are leaving.  She didn't come down.  Ironically it was my birthday that I proposed.  To hear that from her hurts very badly.  I asked her to give me examples on why you hate me so much.  She just continued blanket statements and she just got more upset.  I think it's because she doesn't even know herself.  All she said was that she can't stand to even look at me.

I told her that I am taking my daughter to the movies tonight at 6:30, I've told her many times the past couple of weeks.  Her reply last night was 'So what are you going to do if I take her somewhere else instead?'  All I told her was that she would have no choice but to move out.

After she went upstairs to bed, my daughter, bless her heart told me that she is confused.  I told her I am as well.  That it's not your fault or mine and that mom is going through a rough time right now.

Has your BPD spouse ever told you they don't love you?  I remember last year when we were seeing the psychologist she told her that she didn't know if she loved me.  When we were leaving she saw I was quiet and really down.  She then said that I am too sensitive and that the reason she said it was because she was mad.
apple2

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 06:57:26 AM »

Absolutely yes. Vocation, my birthday party, my new-year party, everything ruined... .
Compassion14

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 09:20:25 AM »

Silveron - Happy (belated?) birthday. It is a special day, even if you BPD can't acknowledge that.

I have to say, my heart is just breaking, not just for you, but very specifically for your daughter. The craziness that your wife is acting out is totally heart breaking and utterly confusing for her, and I worry what kind of damage this madness will cause her, in the long run. I know that is hard to read, but it is written with the best of intentions. 

You both deserve so much more.

My BPD and I split up some 6 months ago. I too have a young child. Thankfully it did not get to the stage where she outright witnessed his outrageous behaviour since we were not living together, but she felt my anxiety, and that fact still makes me sad.

If there is any way out, please consider it, for your child as much for yourself.

C14x
cloudten

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 05:39:25 PM »

Ok we are literally on the way to the bar mitzvah party now, and he says to me that I am going to marry my boss (who is getting a divorce). It is my boss' son's bar mitzvah. I have zero desire what so ever to pursue my boss. My boss is equally crazy and older than my father. So... .I said "should we just go back home?" Apparently it was a "joke"... .he'he's trying to start something. Grr.
cloudten

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 10:49:41 PM »

So... .that was effing awful. Most awful night of my life. In front of my coworkers. I'm shaking. Awful awful awful... .on both our parts. Words can't even express
apple2

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 03:38:04 AM »

Well my birthday is today and last night she ruined it.  She has been really verbally abusive for the past few months and last night she just snapped at me for no reason.  I asked her ':)o you even love me?' and she said 'No'.  That the times she told me she loved me was to 'shut me up'.  Our daughter was upset and was clutching onto my wife's scarf.  My wife was even physically trying to pull it out of her hands with force.  My wife continued her barrage of verbal attacks on me and went upstairs.  It was 10:30 at night and my daughter asked if we could sleep somewhere else.

I would but it was too late and she had school, I told my wife that we are sleeping downstairs and if you come down to start anything I am calling the police and we are leaving.  She didn't come down.  Ironically it was my birthday that I proposed.  To hear that from her hurts very badly.  I asked her to give me examples on why you hate me so much.  She just continued blanket statements and she just got more upset.  I think it's because she doesn't even know herself.  All she said was that she can't stand to even look at me.

I told her that I am taking my daughter to the movies tonight at 6:30, I've told her many times the past couple of weeks.  Her reply last night was 'So what are you going to do if I take her somewhere else instead?'  All I told her was that she would have no choice but to move out.

After she went upstairs to bed, my daughter, bless her heart told me that she is confused.  I told her I am as well.  That it's not your fault or mine and that mom is going through a rough time right now.

Has your BPD spouse ever told you they don't love you?  I remember last year when we were seeing the psychologist she told her that she didn't know if she loved me.  When we were leaving she saw I was quiet and really down.  She then said that I am too sensitive and that the reason she said it was because she was mad.

Hi Silveron,

a late happy birthday! Yes, mine also told me he has no feelings, he does not love me, he only used me for sex, he tried to manipulate me... .horrible. I believe when he felt bad, he could really not look at me. He said to me that why it is so hard to get rid of you?

When I recalled those words, I cried. The sad thing is, when I cried, he only gave me more verbal abuse, without understanding my feeling or comfort me. I asked myself, even a normal friend deserves this?

They have their own problem to deal with. We are sad because we are normal. I can only try not to think about the bad moments, otherwise I would cry a sea:)

RR4U

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: seperated

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 11:09:45 AM »

Wow its such a great feeling to know Im not alone. Happy birthday! ! Mine is coming up too waiting to see how this one will go... .
Climbmountains91

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 06:35:28 PM »

Meh my ex BPD is a misery, any event to him i.e Christmas, Easter is just another day to him he never wanted to do anything and if we had family events hed want to get home early to get drunk on his own and lock himself away from the world

Maybe him not celebrating events is not a BPD thing and his just that sort of person but i just thought what a misery. On nights out he just buggers off to talk to other people mostly woman chats them up to make them laugh so it gives him that ego boost, doesn't socialise with the group his come out with.
Tim300

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 10:52:34 PM »

So... .that was effing awful. Most awful night of my life. In front of my coworkers. I'm shaking. Awful awful awful... .on both our parts. Words can't even express

What happened?
cloudten

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 10:38:38 AM »

What happened?

I almost don't even know where to start!

Well, I work for a very notable family in philanthropy. This party was a bar mitzvah for one of my boss' son's. Technically someday this kid will be my boss... .along with a host of other family members. This bar mitzvah was over-the-top. Probably 3 times the cost of a wedding. Everything about it was amazing.

My boss was gracious enough to extend and invitation to me and a guest. I chose my BPD because he has complained that i don't include him in my life and in important events... .and this is exactly why. because he is a loose cannon.  I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt and a chance to redeem himself.

So in the car on the way to the bar mitzvah night party- my BPD accuses me of sleeping with my boss to get my job (which is truly the opportunity of a lifetime) and accusing me of breaking up my boss' marriage and having an affair with him. ALL OF WHICH IS COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED AN BOGUS.  I have no interest in my boss. He is my boss. He is crazy too... .just as crazy as my BPD. He has a beautiful family. He is stupid for leaving his wife frankly. But he is still my superior. I have never and will never prostitute myself for a job, career, or simply to stiff my boss. period. it's sick and demented.

So- to start off the evening in the car, he accuses me of this. I said "that is completely untrue. I am not and will never be interested in my boss. If this is the way it is going to be we should just turn around and go home." I should have done just that.

He said no no, let's go. So we went. It was amazing just as I knew it would be.

We were some of the first people there even though we were late. I introduced myself to someone I had seen earlier at the synagogue. I introduced my BPD as my boyfriend. My BPD immediately stepped back after the introduction, like 5 feet away, and wasn't having any part of our conversation. I saw he was uncomfortable. I graciously ended my conversation and proceeded to recommend to my BPD that we get drinks. He agreed. So we each got a drink from the bar. I could see he was anxious... .which I fully understood. I was hoping a little beer would help him relax a little. But he just continued to get colder and colder. I did the best I could to include him in conversations and introduce him to people. But I cannot be responsible for his happiness. I tried. There was one point in time I needed to just move away. I told him I was going to get another drink. In typical fashion, I got caught talking to a family member at the bar. I was gone 10-15 minutes. When I came back- he was like a different person. Completely stone cold. I asked him what was wrong. what was he upset about... .that made him madder. So I sat there with him in silence for about a half hour. finally I said I was going to the bathroom. When I got back he was still the same. It was no longer fun.

So I had some conversations with colleagues. I tried to pull him into the conversation. He kept standing behind me, out of my line of sight, about 5 feet away. I would move, he would move. I just kept thinking What the heck. What is the matter with him? My 5 year old would have been better behaved than my BPD. I was embarrassed. I was frustrated. OH- there was a photo booth. I was standing there having a conversation with some people... .and I thought he was there with me or standing right behind me which he liked doing. A couple minutes went by and I realized he wasn't there anymore. He popped back a minute later and said "Hey i went and got my picture taken by myself"... .and was waving a picture of him by himself standing in front of a disney princess backdrop. I said "you did that alone- I would have gone with you if you knew you were going".  I had no idea there even was a photo booth. But isn't the decent thing to say to your girlfriend- "HEY, Lets go get our picture taken in the photo booth... .come on"... .i felt like $hit and i still feel that way.

We had discussed before hand that I wanted to dance. He and I never really dance at functions. So finally I walked over to him, asked him what he was doing. He said "just watching". whatever. I was frustrated and I said "well I am going to go dance"... .at that point my feet had had enough in my heels. I kicked them off and went out on the dance floor. About 2 minutes later, he was on the dance floor handing me my ticket for my coat check and the car- and said he was taking a taxi home. For a second my heart sank... .but then I had a rush of relief. I decided I didn't care. I wanted to have fun and celebrate. So, I danced for another song. Then I felt bad- but not really- I wanted him to have fun and he just wouldn't. I tried to include him, but there came a point where I gave up. So I went and got my coat, got the car. He was still standing there waiting for his taxi. My car pulled up and i hopped in. I didn't invite him to get in, but he did. we then yelled at each other all the way home. He kept accusing me of sleeping with my boss and breaking up their marriage... .which was just completely unfounded! Maybe he was projecting and that is something that he would do, but that is not who I am. I got so pissed off at one point I pulled over on a very busy interstate and told him to get out. he refused. I literally sat there and yelled at him to get out for 5 minutes. He wouldn't budge. At that point i didn't care where I was leaving him... .i just wanted him gone. Unfortunately he had his cat (yes- he has a cat he can't live without)... .at my house. so i just got us home as fast as possible. We walked into my flat, he picked up his cat and THREW IT ACROSS THE ROOM! The cat meowed. He told me to keep the cat. I picked up the cat whom I love, and she was shaking. I felt horrible. I told him to leave and never come back. He proceeded to sit down and not talk for a half hour. Then he packed his stuff, cat included, and left.

I'll admit that in the car, I was a raging maniac. I was so pissed off. But in that half hour we sat there in silence, I texted my co-worker. Told her I got home okay... .and I asked her if I was unreasonable... .if anything i did warranted his anger. If I ignored him and was a B*tch, she would have told me. She said no, I did nothing wrong- and it was completely him... .that he was cold and standoffish.

So- I was mortified. This isn't just my job. Its my career. Its an affluent family. I take my position very seriously. I do not want to jeopardize my career in any way for some crazy a$$hole.

So- that was my night. I was accused of stiffing my boss, repeatedly. All I kept thinking is that it was so demented and delusional. If I WAS stiffing my boss, he wouldn't have invited me to the bar mitzvah, he wouldn't have invited me to bring a guest, and I sure enough would not have brought a guest. But I am not unethical- so I can't even dream up this stuff.

The whole thing was just bizarre.
Tim300

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »

He kept accusing me of sleeping with my boss and breaking up their marriage... .which was just completely unfounded! Maybe he was projecting and that is something that he would do, but that is not who I am.

Yes.
BestVersionOfMe

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 09:31:20 PM »

What happened?

I almost don't even know where to start!

Well, I work for a very notable family in philanthropy. This party was a bar mitzvah for one of my boss' son's. Technically someday this kid will be my boss... .along with a host of other family members. This bar mitzvah was over-the-top. Probably 3 times the cost of a wedding. Everything about it was amazing.

My boss was gracious enough to extend and invitation to me and a guest. I chose my BPD because he has complained that i don't include him in my life and in important events... .and this is exactly why. because he is a loose cannon.  I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt and a chance to redeem himself.

So in the car on the way to the bar mitzvah night party- my BPD accuses me of sleeping with my boss to get my job (which is truly the opportunity of a lifetime) and accusing me of breaking up my boss' marriage and having an affair with him. ALL OF WHICH IS COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED AN BOGUS.  I have no interest in my boss. He is my boss. He is crazy too... .just as crazy as my BPD. He has a beautiful family. He is stupid for leaving his wife frankly. But he is still my superior. I have never and will never prostitute myself for a job, career, or simply to stiff my boss. period. it's sick and demented.

So- to start off the evening in the car, he accuses me of this. I said "that is completely untrue. I am not and will never be interested in my boss. If this is the way it is going to be we should just turn around and go home." I should have done just that.

He said no no, let's go. So we went. It was amazing just as I knew it would be.

We were some of the first people there even though we were late. I introduced myself to someone I had seen earlier at the synagogue. I introduced my BPD as my boyfriend. My BPD immediately stepped back after the introduction, like 5 feet away, and wasn't having any part of our conversation. I saw he was uncomfortable. I graciously ended my conversation and proceeded to recommend to my BPD that we get drinks. He agreed. So we each got a drink from the bar. I could see he was anxious... .which I fully understood. I was hoping a little beer would help him relax a little. But he just continued to get colder and colder. I did the best I could to include him in conversations and introduce him to people. But I cannot be responsible for his happiness. I tried. There was one point in time I needed to just move away. I told him I was going to get another drink. In typical fashion, I got caught talking to a family member at the bar. I was gone 10-15 minutes. When I came back- he was like a different person. Completely stone cold. I asked him what was wrong. what was he upset about... .that made him madder. So I sat there with him in silence for about a half hour. finally I said I was going to the bathroom. When I got back he was still the same. It was no longer fun.

So I had some conversations with colleagues. I tried to pull him into the conversation. He kept standing behind me, out of my line of sight, about 5 feet away. I would move, he would move. I just kept thinking What the heck. What is the matter with him? My 5 year old would have been better behaved than my BPD. I was embarrassed. I was frustrated. OH- there was a photo booth. I was standing there having a conversation with some people... .and I thought he was there with me or standing right behind me which he liked doing. A couple minutes went by and I realized he wasn't there anymore. He popped back a minute later and said "Hey i went and got my picture taken by myself"... .and was waving a picture of him by himself standing in front of a disney princess backdrop. I said "you did that alone- I would have gone with you if you knew you were going".  I had no idea there even was a photo booth. But isn't the decent thing to say to your girlfriend- "HEY, Lets go get our picture taken in the photo booth... .come on"... .i felt like $hit and i still feel that way.

We had discussed before hand that I wanted to dance. He and I never really dance at functions. So finally I walked over to him, asked him what he was doing. He said "just watching". whatever. I was frustrated and I said "well I am going to go dance"... .at that point my feet had had enough in my heels. I kicked them off and went out on the dance floor. About 2 minutes later, he was on the dance floor handing me my ticket for my coat check and the car- and said he was taking a taxi home. For a second my heart sank... .but then I had a rush of relief. I decided I didn't care. I wanted to have fun and celebrate. So, I danced for another song. Then I felt bad- but not really- I wanted him to have fun and he just wouldn't. I tried to include him, but there came a point where I gave up. So I went and got my coat, got the car. He was still standing there waiting for his taxi. My car pulled up and i hopped in. I didn't invite him to get in, but he did. we then yelled at each other all the way home. He kept accusing me of sleeping with my boss and breaking up their marriage... .which was just completely unfounded! Maybe he was projecting and that is something that he would do, but that is not who I am. I got so pissed off at one point I pulled over on a very busy interstate and told him to get out. he refused. I literally sat there and yelled at him to get out for 5 minutes. He wouldn't budge. At that point i didn't care where I was leaving him... .i just wanted him gone. Unfortunately he had his cat (yes- he has a cat he can't live without)... .at my house. so i just got us home as fast as possible. We walked into my flat, he picked up his cat and THREW IT ACROSS THE ROOM! The cat meowed. He told me to keep the cat. I picked up the cat whom I love, and she was shaking. I felt horrible. I told him to leave and never come back. He proceeded to sit down and not talk for a half hour. Then he packed his stuff, cat included, and left.

I'll admit that in the car, I was a raging maniac. I was so pissed off. But in that half hour we sat there in silence, I texted my co-worker. Told her I got home okay... .and I asked her if I was unreasonable... .if anything i did warranted his anger. If I ignored him and was a B*tch, she would have told me. She said no, I did nothing wrong- and it was completely him... .that he was cold and standoffish.

So- I was mortified. This isn't just my job. Its my career. Its an affluent family. I take my position very seriously. I do not want to jeopardize my career in any way for some crazy a$$hole.

So- that was my night. I was accused of stiffing my boss, repeatedly. All I kept thinking is that it was so demented and delusional. If I WAS stiffing my boss, he wouldn't have invited me to the bar mitzvah, he wouldn't have invited me to bring a guest, and I sure enough would not have brought a guest. But I am not unethical- so I can't even dream up this stuff.

The whole thing was just bizarre.

Don't beat yourself up too much for your role in the fighting.  He provoked you and you went to a place of anger, I get it.  At the same time, don't forget who you are dealing with.  He is paranoid of abandonment.  To him it was likely a real thought that you were having sex with your boss.  Feelings = reality and truth.  Imagine if someone was cheating on you?  You'd be a wreck.  This doesn't excuse his behavior, but I was hoping you'd keep a perspective on his reality in order to help you not take too much personally.  He sounds like a mess at the moment.  You dancing on the dance floor was more fear on his part.  He is scared that you'll cheat on him or leave him.  I don't mean the kind of fear you have when you watch a scary movie, I'm talking mind-blowing, terrifying, panic attack type of fear that consumes his entire mind and body.  No matter where you are taking this thing, validating his feelings needs to be the core of how you communicate with him for the time being to diffuse everything that is going on.  You kicking him out was probably akin to having you reach through his chest and ripping his heart out, throwing it on the ground, and then lighting it on fire.  I don't say this to take his side, just as a perspective thing so that you know where he is coming from and how "triggered" he must be. 
cloudten

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 11:43:35 PM »

Wow- that's really a different take on it. I never thought that me kicking him out of the car would be like me ripping his heart out. But I get it. I think I am too far gone. I am vindictive now. I want him to hurt as much as he has hurt me... .emotionally of course. I want him to feel the pain he has caused me. It is killing me to admit it, but it's true. I wish I would have kicked him out of the car. well, it's over between he and i... .for good. That much I know. we had a huge falling out tonight where psycho me came out again. I can't live like this anymore. I am not myself. I don't want to be who I am right now... .angry
Enoch

Relationship status: married

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 07:19:10 AM »

I read all the posts here... .same story for me. My DBPDW has been acting out at all the occasions mentioned above. But not at the occasion. No, that would be too public. She does her acting out for two days prior and a day or so after. This is when I get to hear about all of my sins and the sins of others.

She has another tactic that keeps her behaviour private. She will isolate her target in private and then have her say (and way). Those of us in her close circle compare notes and know what she is spreading. We all feel sorry for her but we do not let her control us.

After 35 years of this stuff, we know it's gonna happen. Not that we ignore her or her behaviour, but we do not cave in to her demands or her behaviour. We know the triggers and try not to provoke. We can see it coming, and prepare accordingly.

We stopped trying to "make things better" for her. That simply doesn't work. She will find something.

Life with a Borderline is difficult and not for the faint of heart. I stopped hoping it would get better a long time ago... .and at that point, I felt free of her domineering control. I still get frustrated and angry with her (her illness that is) and l wish it would go away.

Ken Druck says that life is not fair... .it's more than fair... .

Took a while for me to accept that one. I hope you are able to detach from your SO's bad behaviour. In most cases, it just ain't your fault.

lena7

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 05:44:44 PM »

Yeah, I haven't celebrated my birthday, Christmas, new year since I've been married to my uBPDh 6 years.

Acting out on special occasions? Yes, that's why we only celebrated one special occasion, and it went south very quickly. It was our little wedding ceremony at our house. He blew a fuse to the point the guests got so scared they left the house!

You can say that the mask came off right after our wedding. I saw a few red flags but didn't realize what I was getting myself into.

I believe I have PTSD because of that, and also a lot of resentment.

BestVersionOfMe

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »

Wow- that's really a different take on it. I never thought that me kicking him out of the car would be like me ripping his heart out. But I get it. I think I am too far gone. I am vindictive now. I want him to hurt as much as he has hurt me... .emotionally of course. I want him to feel the pain he has caused me. It is killing me to admit it, but it's true. I wish I would have kicked him out of the car. well, it's over between he and i... .for good. That much I know. we had a huge falling out tonight where psycho me came out again. I can't live like this anymore. I am not myself. I don't want to be who I am right now... .angry

I'm perfectly ok with being angry.  You are entitled to your own feelings.  Vengeance is an entirely different thing, that is reacting in a bad way to your feelings of anger.  I'm opposed to that.  You can't change him.  You can't save him.  You can't change him by trying to make him hurt more either.  You can only change you and if that means getting out then take action on that. 
BestVersionOfMe

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 06:24:17 PM »

I read all the posts here... .same story for me. My DBPDW has been acting out at all the occasions mentioned above. But not at the occasion. No, that would be too public. She does her acting out for two days prior and a day or so after. This is when I get to hear about all of my sins and the sins of others.

She has another tactic that keeps her behaviour private. She will isolate her target in private and then have her say (and way). Those of us in her close circle compare notes and know what she is spreading. We all feel sorry for her but we do not let her control us.

After 35 years of this stuff, we know it's gonna happen. Not that we ignore her or her behaviour, but we do not cave in to her demands or her behaviour. We know the triggers and try not to provoke. We can see it coming, and prepare accordingly.

We stopped trying to "make things better" for her. That simply doesn't work. She will find something.

Life with a Borderline is difficult and not for the faint of heart. I stopped hoping it would get better a long time ago... .and at that point, I felt free of her domineering control. I still get frustrated and angry with her (her illness that is) and l wish it would go away.

Ken Druck says that life is not fair... .it's more than fair... .

Took a while for me to accept that one. I hope you are able to detach from your SO's bad behaviour. In most cases, it just ain't your fault.

This is what I'm learning.  Most of mine come in the form of an angry, manipulative, blaming text.  I just simply don't answer them anymore.  I mean why?  What do I get out of it?  Now I read them, identify the BPD thinking in all of it, have compassion for what she must be going through, then read affirmations and gratitude, and go about my day. 
Caredverymuch

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 08:12:22 PM »

Hi Silveron, I am sorry but yes this is unfortunately typical. I endured it for every holiday and special celebration for 25 yrs. 
Michelle27

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »

Not just special occasions but anything positive has been ruined for me.  5 years ago I was approaching my 40th birthday and wanted a nice celebration.  I even dropped hints for maybe a party with lots of friends and family.  Instead, I had to plan my own dinner out.  3 weeks later it was his 40th birthday and I planned and prepared a huge BBQ for him at our house.  He dysregulated to the point of storming out of the house and I was left to entertain his guests with a big old smile on my face. 

After losing 130 lbs, I ran my first 10 K race last spring.  He chose that very night to go into a huge rage, keeping me up all night and I still had to go to work the next day.

About 5 years ago, I asserted my right to do things for me, and started an annual trip to Vegas for myself.  Until this past trip, I was always faced with some kind of dysregulation immediately before I left or as soon as I got home.  Drove me crazy.

And of course, Christmas has always been rough, but he uses the excuse that his Mom passed away right before Christmas so that's why.  I do understand that one on some level.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest