Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 12:45:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asking forgiveness from BPD wife  (Read 471 times)
badknees1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 26, 2017, 02:04:47 AM »

Untreated BPD wife is raging about my failure as a husband. The nugget of truth here is i recently realized my passive aggressive attitude towards her over the years. I realize how I ve made things harder for her by putting distance between us out of my reaction to her chaotic behaviour. I want to change that in me and have been working on this... .but she wants a groveling begging crying apology asking despararely for forgiveness. She want an apology equal to the pain I caused being passive aggressive. A lot of my behavior came from ignorance... .trying always to keep her happy all the time. Something in me says this begging groveling is not right. Is my ego or pride blocking or changing and apologizing sincerely the better way. If I grovel I feel I am just going back to my codependent behavior again.? And repeating a cycle

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

infjEpic

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: In a new relationship

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »

Sounds very tough badknees, sorry to hear this.

Untreated BPD wife is raging about my failure as a husband. The nugget of truth here is i recently realized my passive aggressive attitude towards her over the years. I realize how I ve made things harder for her by putting distance between us out of my reaction to her chaotic behaviour. I want to change that in me and have been working on this... .but she wants a groveling begging crying apology asking despararely for forgiveness.

How does the chaotic behaviour make you feel?
Do you feel distress? Or apathy?

What in your view, would be an appropriate response to chaotic behaviour?

Excerpt
She want an apology equal to the pain I caused being passive aggressive. A lot of my behavior came from ignorance... .trying always to keep her happy all the time. 

Are you passive-aggressive by nature?
Or is it a responsive? (i.e. you are provoked into this reaction)

Excerpt
Something in me says this begging groveling is not right.

Was this a requirement of past or current relationships (not just romantic) in your life?
Or is this applicable solely to your relationship with her?

Excerpt
Is my ego or pride blocking or changing and apologizing sincerely the better way.

Have you aplogoized sincerely in the past?
And what was the outcome?

Excerpt
If I grovel I feel I am just going back to my codependent behavior again.? And repeating a cycle

Do you feel that offering a sincere apology for your response to someone else's chaotic behaviour, is less co-dependent, than a passive-aggressive response to someone's chaotic behaviour?

Do you think your passive aggressiveness should stop?
or the chaotic behaviour should stop?

ArleighBurke

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: was married - 15 yrs

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 11:44:44 PM »

I think a sincere apology is good. A grovelling for forgiveness apology is not. Of COURSE she wants you to grovel, she'd LOVE the experience of you being wrong, and being able to blame you for her feeling bad.

You can state quite sincerely, "I have done this behaviour in the past. I realise it's wrong and I will work to fix it. I am sorry for the pain it's caused you, and look forward to moving us to a better place".

Apology done. Then, whenever she raises it again, state "I'm sorry for the pain I caused you." and after the 10th time, "I've already apologised, i am not going to dwell on the past".

Your journey, your direction. Be the captain!
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »

Being authentic in your apology is the best approach. When I need to give a "my attitude toward you lately has really sucked" apology, I do not give that apology while my uBPDh is angry, upset, or dysregulated in any way. I share the deep heartfelt apologies for times when things are good and we are just having great conversation.

I'll say that I've been doing self reflection on my behavior and attitudes toward him. Share how it has affected the way I treat him. And then apologize and say that I am going to work on trying harder to be better at whatever it is. I let him know I love him and that it's important to me that we communicate better. I leave it at that. I don't grovel. I don't over explain or even get into specific arguments we've had. I acknowledge my bad behavior and I expect nothing from him in return. He doesn't have to apologize for anything. He doesn't have to accept my apology.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

CrazyChuck

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:02:52 AM »

Untreated BPD wife is raging about my failure as a husband. The nugget of truth here is i recently realized my passive aggressive attitude towards her over the years. I realize how I ve made things harder for her by putting distance between us out of my reaction to her chaotic behaviour. I want to change that in me and have been working on this... .but she wants a groveling begging crying apology asking despararely for forgiveness. She want an apology equal to the pain I caused being passive aggressive. A lot of my behavior came from ignorance... .trying always to keep her happy all the time. Something in me says this begging groveling is not right. Is my ego or pride blocking or changing and apologizing sincerely the better way. If I grovel I feel I am just going back to my codependent behavior again.? And repeating a cycle

Whats crazy is I could have written this. I feel exactly like this. The only thing I can suggest is to help yourself first. That's what my therapist told me. But I haven't done it yet.

As for the apology they can take it or not.
badknees1

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »

Thank you . I read all reply and using apology skills,  without grovelling.☺
badknees1

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 08:34:43 PM »

infjEpi- sorry for such a delay- I thought alot about your questions, here are my answers:

Chaotic behavior - my first reaction is deep fear then anger
I feel distress, I cannot get to apathy, I wish I could a little so not to take it so hard
My idea of the appropriate response to chaotic behavior would be like reacting to a child's tantrum: keep them safe, bulletproof to the anger or criticism, waiting it out, staying in control of myself with the storm whips around me.
I do not think I am passive aggressive by nature, I think I developed it during our message when my voice my opinions my feelings who  I was was always was pushed aside. and I did not speak up about it.
I think I was always a compliant child and adult, I liked to avoid conflict. But my marriage to my BPD wife focused it like a laser beam.
I have made sincere apologies in the past but always with a twinge of "why am I doing this".
Yes I do feel a sincere apology as a response to someone else's chaotic behaviour, is less co-dependent, than a passive-aggressive response to someone's chaotic behaviour.
I believe MY passive-aggressive behavior has to stop first. the chaotic behavior may never stop but I can choose to end the PA. Be more honest open and own my emotions
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest