Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 14, 2024, 12:44:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Contact after 4 months  (Read 480 times)
jasmine-1234

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 27, 2017, 06:28:12 PM »

I have had 4 months of no contact with my exBPD partner, I blocked his phone number.
After reading many entries here, I knew he might try to contact me at some point.

Last night I got 2 phone calls from a strange phone number and didn't answer.  I listened to the messages today and it was him... .saying that he misses me and thinks about me every day.  I instantly burst into tears. I miss that he is so open and affectionate, I'm not sure I want to contact him back... .

I've just been crying and crying for hours.

It also doesn't help that I've been trying to hang out with a different ex guy (lets call him E), who is an emotional brick wall. When I asked E to clarify our relationship, all he could say is he spends so much time alone that he can't tell if he likes me or if he's just lonely and I'm just there. That hurt so much... .I never felt special. This is exactly what led me into the relationship with my BPD partner, who told me all of the loving things.

Just feeling so confused... .it is ripping me apart.
earlyL

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

Formerly known as "Louise Wilson"

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »

Hi Jasmine,

This sounds like a really difficult message to receive, I can totally understand your confusion and pain. Can you tell us a bit more about the break up with your exBPD, how far along with the grieving process / end of relationship healing did you feel you were?

LW

infjEpic

Relationship status: In a new relationship

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 06:55:14 PM »

I have had 4 months of no contact with my exBPD partner, I blocked his phone number.
After reading many entries here, I knew he might try to contact me at some point.

Last night I got 2 phone calls from a strange phone number and didn't answer.  I listened to the messages today and it was him... .saying that he misses me and thinks about me every day.  I instantly burst into tears. I miss that he is so open and affectionate, I'm not sure I want to contact him back... .

It also doesn't help that I've been trying to hang out with a different ex guy (lets call him E), who is an emotional brick wall. When I asked E to clarify our relationship, all he could say is he spends so much time alone that he can't tell if he likes me or if he's just lonely and I'm just there. That hurt so much... .I never felt special. This is exactly what led me into the relationship with my BPD partner, who told me all of the loving things.

We have similar backstories, and I'm in a somewhat similar situation, although the timeframes are different, which makes it easier for me.

You're trying to solve an equation with 3 variables, which is too tricky.

First, take E out of the equation.
Could you and BPDex be together again?

I think you already know the answer to this. Going back there would be a really terrible idea. Give yourself more time in NC and you will start to see this.
What you miss is the feeling of being with somebody who is emotionally open - not your BPD.

Second, remove BPD guy from the equation and put E back in
Do you and E have a future?

My opinion is that, you asked E a question, but don't necessarily communicate how you are feeling.
Is he aware of how you are feeling?

Now, remove E from the equation.
Now there is only you.
It seems you think you know what you want, but haven't really given yourself enough time to figure it out.
How long have you had 'off' from relationships?
How long did you have, to have a relationship with yourself?

==

My GF can also be emotionally closed.
What I think happened me is that my personality shifted slightly from the recovery, I grew and learned a lot & my concept of love changed - I no longer conflate it with infatuation or passionate sex. I'm not saying I don't miss those things sometimes, but I had that experience - it was incredible and I'm grateful for it, but I realised other things are important to me also.
And a whole bunch of other changes.

I've communicated to my GF how I feel.
She understands.
She grew up a tremendous amount when we were apart. (otherwise I would have never recommenced the R/S)
I'm happy to be here,  to see if we can begin to emotionally align also.
If we cannot, then I will have no regrets - I gave it my best shot.

My counsellor shared the Gestalt prayer with me - I read it quite frequently. Hope it will resonate with you.

www.weheartit.com/entry/65342631
jasmine-1234

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 08:02:20 PM »

Thank you both. 

I feel you are really listening!

My relationship with my Ex E ... .who I dated immediately before my BPD partner... .
He has always been an emotional brick wall, maybe due to his childhood. Avoidant attachment style. Yes I did tell him how I felt, well, at first we agreed to just be "casual" ... .I guess I felt lonely after my BPD left... .it was so dramatic.  I went to E for some comfort and not gonna lie, the sex and chemistry is amazing...

There are a few factors going on here.  I had quit drinking too, but now with more clarity I see how E is really closed off emotionally.

I noticed that after dating my BPD partner, that I should be more open about my feelings. In the past month or so, I was trying to tell E that I enjoyed spending time with him. I guess I foolishly thought I could keep it casual, but my feelings got caught up.

And no I don't want to get back together with my BPDex B. That was all just too much drama.

I want to be able to be on my own. I'm trying. I find it very hard not to have the physical part.  I'm trying to reframe and limited contact with E also.  E told me that there was something else going on for him, I don't know what. I almost don't want to know, if it's something about me as I'm in such a fragile state right now.  I am just having a greater understanding how my relationship with E had me so starved for love and attention that it was a perfect set up to fall into B, he said all of the lovely things I always wanted E to say.

I'm wondering if E has a different kind of issue. My therapist suggested autism or asbergers as he told me he "can't tell if he likes me" because he spends so much time alone and I'm like the only person he hangs out with. I can't tell if he's telling the truth or what.

I just sometimes think I'm going crazy myself.  I'm trying to be strong and get support, go to AA meetings etc.
----
Mini back story... .
I broke up with E last year around this time, March 2016.  I tried a stupid move by driving over to his place late at night... .wanting to see him after we broke up, and he turned me away.  I drove right to a bar and met B. B and I went pretty strong in the beginning, typical BPD... .he gave me a ring around June 2016. It all went very fast... .we broke up in October 2016... .the whole thing barely lasted 9 months.

I was reintroduced to E because we have one work client together. I was working there and we started to hang out a few times.  But my feelings were drawn in, anyways it was the same cycle as before.  Its just amazing the range of emotion, the total brick wall that E is, and the extremes of B and the BPD.

thanks for listening
infjEpic

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »

Thank you both. 

I feel you are really listening!

My relationship with my Ex E ... .who I dated immediately before my BPD partner... .
He has always been an emotional brick wall, maybe due to his childhood. Avoidant attachment style. Yes I did tell him how I felt, well, at first we agreed to just be "casual" ... .I guess I felt lonely after my BPD left... .it was so dramatic.  I went to E for some comfort and not gonna lie, the sex and chemistry is amazing...

There are a few factors going on here.  I had quit drinking too, but now with more clarity I see how E is really closed off emotionally.

I noticed that after dating my BPD partner, that I should be more open about my feelings. In the past month or so, I was trying to tell E that I enjoyed spending time with him. I guess I foolishly thought I could keep it casual, but my feelings got caught up.

And no I don't want to get back together with my BPDex B. That was all just too much drama.

I want to be able to be on my own. I'm trying. I find it very hard not to have the physical part.  I'm trying to reframe and limited contact with E also.  E told me that there was something else going on for him, I don't know what. I almost don't want to know, if it's something about me as I'm in such a fragile state right now.  I am just having a greater understanding how my relationship with E had me so starved for love and attention that it was a perfect set up to fall into B, he said all of the lovely things I always wanted E to say.

I'm wondering if E has a different kind of issue. My therapist suggested autism or asbergers as he told me he "can't tell if he likes me" because he spends so much time alone and I'm like the only person he hangs out with. I can't tell if he's telling the truth or what.

I just sometimes think I'm going crazy myself.  I'm trying to be strong and get support, go to AA meetings etc.
----
Mini back story... .
I broke up with E last year around this time, March 2016.  I tried a stupid move by driving over to his place late at night... .wanting to see him after we broke up, and he turned me away.  I drove right to a bar and met B. B and I went pretty strong in the beginning, typical BPD... .he gave me a ring around June 2016. It all went very fast... .we broke up in October 2016... .the whole thing barely lasted 9 months.

I was reintroduced to E because we have one work client together. I was working there and we started to hang out a few times.  But my feelings were drawn in, anyways it was the same cycle as before.  Its just amazing the range of emotion, the total brick wall that E is, and the extremes of B and the BPD.

thanks for listening

You sound quite level headed.

Do you see a future with E?
Is he capable of change? I suspect not
Could see see a future with him, if he doesnt change?

My personality means id hate to waste time on something trivial and meaningless.
Id rather spend the time improving myself my mind and my body  for the next person.

You arw kind of using E as a crutch right now?

Going without the physical side is absolutely Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post)@@@ at first.
You get used to it quickly tho

I chose to back out of situations i felt were not  right for me. Like FWB or whatever.
I chose to go without those crutches.
That was hard at first. Made everything else 10 times easier in the long run tho

Cause i had much less to lose or fear from being made alone all over again.
There were 3 instances where i felt i was. being treated unfairly

I just got up and walked out
I was like- give me a call when you learn how to respect me. I learned to be happy alone, and ill take being alone over this crap.

I said you cant keep hurting me.
Either we grow up and start taking care of each other, or i will be single and happy, because ive had enough abuse dor 1 life time already
Total shock to the woman in question - i was always a walkover, now id found a spine and disnt put myself last

Next morning there was a knock on my door. She was stood there crying and apologizing

hurting300

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 09:08:19 PM »

Yeah you should call him. Why torture him? If he is being open you should be as well. Unless he hit you are seriously put you in danger. I remember my ex cut me off and I begged her to give me closure.

In the eye for an eye game, he who cares least, wins. I, for one. am never stepping into the ring with someone who is impulsive and doesn't think of the downstream consequences.
jasmine-1234

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 11:51:30 PM »

I wrote him a very short email saying I got his messages and asked how he was. But that opened the floodgates.  I got this string of emails back... .heart wrenching... .

He just called 3 times in a row, but I didn't pick up. I'm scared... .I'm just starting to feel better. 

What will I say?  I don't know... .I guess I will have to be strong and say I care about him but we can't be together... .  I think he will probably try to call again tonight... .

what do i do?
jasmine-1234

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 11:53:35 PM »

These are what the emails are like:

Please just tell me you do not love me the way I love u. Please baby. ... .
Imagine what it would feel like to hold each other again and tell me you don't want that. Type it.

You were so hurt when E did not fight for u. I'm fighting. I'm fighting untill the end. Nothing is more important to me than u. Please text me the opposite and u won't hear from me agin. Please.

jasmine-1234

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 12:01:38 AM »

infjpublic:
I see what you are saying about E... .
"What you miss is the feeling of being with somebody who is emotionally open"
Yes this is so true.  The more E put up his walls the more I tried to draw it out of him by being emotional.  And wow, all of a sudden I'm wondering if I'm acting Borderline.  Very interesting how the dynamics can flip like that.

And yes, I'm proud of you for standing up for yourself. 

"Next morning there was a knock on my door. She was stood there crying and apologizing"

In the past I tried this tactic, thinking E would realize and I wanted him to cry or fight for me. In the end, when I told him I didn't want the relationship any more because he had given me the cold shoulder too many times, he too easily let me walk away. The break up conversation was so short, he simply said "ok". That's it! I was so hurt he didn't try to fight to get me back, or anything. He just let me walk out the door.  And guess what, I practically walked right into B.

I'm trying really hard to refocus on myself.  In some ways E was easier because there wasn't drama, it was lack of drama I guess.

Still being sucked in to B again isn't healthy either. Just been crying a lot the last few days... .
hurting300

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 02:30:29 AM »

I wrote him a very short email saying I got his messages and asked how he was. But that opened the floodgates.  I got this string of emails back... .heart wrenching... .

He just called 3 times in a row, but I didn't pick up. I'm scared... .I'm just starting to feel better. 

What will I say?  I don't know... .I guess I will have to be strong and say I care about him but we can't be together... .  I think he will probably try to call again tonight... .

what do i do?
Ok you did good. Keep emailing him. What if he isn't BPD? You're doing good by just emailing. If you want him then take this slow.

In the eye for an eye game, he who cares least, wins. I, for one. am never stepping into the ring with someone who is impulsive and doesn't think of the downstream consequences.
infjEpic

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 04:55:23 AM »

what do i do?

Separate how he is acting now, from how he acted during the relationship.

We all have emails and msgs like that:
Excerpt
Please just tell me you do not love me the way I love u. Please baby. sad... .
Imagine what it would feel like to hold each other again and tell me you don't want that. Type it.

You were so hurt when E did not fight for u. I'm fighting. I'm fighting untill the end. Nothing is more important to me than u. Please text me the opposite and u won't hear from me agin. Please.

Take him back, or allow yourself to be recycled -  after a day or two, you'd be in a worse push/pull cycle than you'd ever experienced before.

You could try to get closure, but I don't think you will get it.
I think he'll just use every trick and opportunity to try get the feeling of being in love back, then when he doesn't need it, he'll discard you, or just cheat on you.

You could write a letter of closure, send it, then block him permanently.

If I was you - I would honestly step back everything. Let yourself get back to a place of stability.

It really is your decision tho.
If you want - you can be recycled again. Just understand that it's going to hurt much more the next time, than it does even now, when the disorder takes over - which it will.
jasmine-1234

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »

Thank you, yes I actually met a neighbor who had a BPD gf... .he said the same thing! He got sucked back in a second time and it was much much worse. I fear that if i try to get "closure" it is just opening the door a crack and he will try to bust his way through.

He is confused and hurting. He reached out but then said "don't contact me", while he wrote me 10 emails. 

I think he definitely is BPD because he told me after all was said and done that his discharge papers from the army said "personality disorder".  Apparently according to a friend who worked at the Veterans hospital, if they actually diagonosed that it is pretty bad. Because the army would rather underdiagnose people ( to hide the fact that joining the army is traumatic ).

Also thank you for the prayer.  I have been trying to get in touch with "higher power" it's an AA thing. Usually I have not been very religious in the past. But all I can think is that God is sending me some message right now... .why is the intersection happening again between B and E. There is some lesson I need to learn or am not getting. 

I think it's that I need to love myself and know that neither of them is right for me. I need a stronger sense of self esteem... .it's like I'm barely swimming with my head above water and B could drag me down very easily right now.  There is no way I can hold him up too.

It all makes me very sad.  I thought at some point I could help him.  We broke so many things that last week... .it was a living hell! The breaking point was when he smashed my laptop into bits... .that is how I make my living because I'm a graphic designer, so I couldn't take that any more. Besides that I was acting out on him which isn't healthy for him either.

Thank god I have therapy tonight! Thank you so much for your support!
jasmine-1234

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 01:23:23 PM »

Also... .I don't think he is the type to cheat on me... .he is very monogomous minded.

Do you think it would be mean for me to tell him I am with someone else (even though I'm not really) just to take the pressure off me and he would go away... .?
SuperJew82

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 01:34:38 PM »

I think hurting300 was being sarcastic?

Without knowing your history, I'm going to assume that you went NC for a good reason.

Don't make yourself start from ground zero. I feel that there is a pattern where you are finding it hard to detach from relationships that don't have a future.

I am not a believer that people can change, and if they do change - it's slow and gradual and they are doing it for themselves, not just to satisfy anyone else. But I think being in a relationship with an emotionally null person is much better than a BPD person. I personally would rather be single and a little lonely sometimes vs being in a dead-end relationship.

-roger
hurting300

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »

I think hurting300 was being sarcastic?

Without knowing your history, I'm going to assume that you went NC for a good reason.

Don't make yourself start from ground zero. I feel that there is a pattern where you are finding it hard to detach from relationships that don't have a future.

I am not a believer that people can change, and if they do change - it's slow and gradual and they are doing it for themselves, not just to satisfy anyone else. But I think being in a relationship with an emotionally null person is much better than a BPD person. I personally would rather be single and a little lonely sometimes vs being in a dead-end relationship.

-roger
Sarcastic?  I was unaware that you were a psychologist and mindreader. The man respectfully sent a nice email. If she don't want him she needs to make it clear instead of ignoring him. It's really that simple.

hurting300

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »

Thank you, yes I actually met a neighbor who had a BPD gf... .he said the same thing! He got sucked back in a second time and it was much much worse. I fear that if i try to get "closure" it is just opening the door a crack and he will try to bust his way through.

He is confused and hurting. He reached out but then said "don't contact me", while he wrote me 10 emails. 

I think he definitely is BPD because he told me after all was said and done that his discharge papers from the army said "personality disorder".  Apparently according to a friend who worked at the Veterans hospital, if they actually diagonosed that it is pretty bad. Because the army would rather underdiagnose people ( to hide the fact that joining the army is traumatic ).

Also thank you for the prayer.  I have been trying to get in touch with "higher power" it's an AA thing. Usually I have not been very religious in the past. But all I can think is that God is sending me some message right now... .why is the intersection happening again between B and E. There is some lesson I need to learn or am not getting. 

I think it's that I need to love myself and know that neither of them is right for me. I need a stronger sense of self esteem... .it's like I'm barely swimming with my head above water and B could drag me down very easily right now.  There is no way I can hold him up too.

It all makes me very sad.  I thought at some point I could help him.  We broke so many things that last week... .it was a living hell! The breaking point was when he smashed my laptop into bits... .that is how I make my living because I'm a graphic designer, so I couldn't take that any more. Besides that I was acting out on him which isn't healthy for him either.

Ok, I didn't realize he was breaking things. I missed that sentence. If you don't want him don't lie. Just email him and say you can't. If you wanna work it out do it slow. No one here knows if he is BPD. That term gets thrown around so much. Who cares if he is BPD? What if he's just a selfish jerk? I found out labels mean nothing if they aren't right for you.

infjEpic

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 07:24:38 PM »

I share that concern & I'm skeptical that you will ever get closure from your BPDex.
Regardless, assuming you can - it doesn't have to be today.

I got a form of closure after several months of NC. When was I strong enough to close that door, when she tried to push her foot through.

Excerpt

Yea, unfortunately that's where the phrase originates from ... ."I hate you, don't ever leave me"

I can't say what he is feeling, but I'm skeptical that he is feeling what you are feeling.
Unfortunately, we have the same tendency to project emotions onto others, as they have - which isn't typically a problem where non-disordered people are concerned, because our instincts are often correct.
But with disordered types, it's very problematic - and leaves us very vulnerable to exploitation.

I'm not sure if you've heard of Occam's razor? (The simplest explanation is usually the correct one)

Well, here is Epic's razor - in understanding BPD motives, the most selfish explanation is usually the correct one.

Sounds reductionist or nihilistic even - but it's generally true.

Excerpt

Knowing it's BPD is good, because it will help you to understand and recover, but regardless, it's toxic and abusive based on all of your descriptions so far.
The diagnosis (or lack thereof) is almost used as a 'get out of jaill free' card on some forums
But it's the actions that count, not the diagnosis... .abuse is abuse whether it's coming from a BPD or a Non.

This is a drum I beat over and over - but it's intentional.
In the future, you will be supporting people who are trying to recover, and this is a massive stumbling block for Nons.

Excerpt
Also thank you for the prayer.  I have been trying to get in touch with "higher power" it's an AA thing. Usually I have not been very religious in the past. But all I can think is that God is sending me some message right now... .

My pleasure, You're Welcome

Yea, I wasn't very spiritual or religious myself prior to the BPD aftermath.
I was raised a Catholic, but hadn't practised in years.

I did actually pray before I commenced the relationship with my BPD tho. I prayed for guidance.
To prevent me making the wrong choice again (I was 5 months out of a 9 year non-disordered relationship)

I prayed for guidance toward the path of happiness... .thought that prayer had been heard for 2 months. It was bliss.
Several months later, it all seemed like a very sick joke.

Now I'm believe more than ever that it was answered - just not in the way I expected. LOL!

Actually, if I'm completely honest, I believe it was pre-destined - I can elaborate if you want, but I'm concerned I'm rambling now!

FWIW, I've actually gravitated quite strongly toward Buddhism now.

Excerpt
why is the intersection happening again between B and E. There is some lesson I need to learn or am not getting. 

I think you're absolutely nailing it now.

I'm not just saying this to soothe you - I'm telling you, you're gonna have weak moments and really hard days through the recovery - but I've absolutely zero doubt your best days are ahead of you.

Excerpt

It's very sad. And never stops being sad in all honesty. It just hurts way less - in time.

Also... .I don't think he is the type to cheat on me... .he is very monogomous minded.

Do you think it would be mean for me to tell him I am with someone else (even though I'm not really) just to take the pressure off me and he would go away... .?

Oh - my BPDex was the most monogamous person who ever lived. She was furious at an ex who she claimed cheated on her.
The catch is that, when they cheat, it's our fault - so that doesn't count.
As you can guess - she wasn't faithful.

There are stats on the forum.
In 65% of respondents, the non had proof of cheating
15% had suspicions, but couldn't prove it.
5% didn't know.
10% said no cheating

That means there is about a 1 in 10 chance that they are not cheating.

In terms of telling him you've moved on - the simple answer is that I don't know unfortunately.
It could keep them away, but it could also result in narcissistic injury - which could result in scary and unpredictable behaviour.

I think the safest course is just No Contact. (and stop reading the msgs - they are designed to generate guilt and shame within you)

Excerpt

Anytime!
And yea - some weeks you are literally counting down the days until Therapy. !

Now I only go once per month and have to keep a journal to make sure I have stuff to discuss!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest