Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 07:50:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard day... Part 3  (Read 2307 times)
MaroonLiquid

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2014, 07:18:30 AM »

Right, and if I'm not paying why bring them up?  She knows that by now but continues to bring up "bills" because she is short on money and for what seems like starting a fight to make me look bad, I guess... .It irritates and hurts me because she would rather start a fight than talk about what's important, our family and marriage... .

Uhm... .it takes two to fight.

All she can do is provoke you. It isn't a fight until you "bite" on it.

Your chances of reconciling with her will go up if you respond in ways that don't drive your resentment up... .and possibly even make her feel better about you.

Remember--she is the one with mental illness. She is not capable of leading your r/s into more healthy patterns. If you can't lead on this, it isn't going to happen.

How am I responding in ways that drive my resentment up?  I don't show her the resentment do I?  So tell me what I'm doing wrong... .This is where I start to feel like a failure.  It feels like I can't respond correctly no matter how I respond.  I tell her I won't drop something off at her doorstep, and she meets with me only to pick it up and won't sit down to have lunch with me.  I tell her that I won't discuss it on text and she won't meet with me.  I tell her I'm not paying her bills and I'm still the a$$hole and she says that "they will never see us again".  It seems that no matter what I do, I can't gain control of this and the ball is always in her court... .She still has my laptop for God's sake... .
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2014, 07:46:15 AM »

Another thing, when I'm doing stuff without her, it seems to drive her crazy.  Friday she texted me, and Saturday I was at a birthday party with my kids and posted a picture to Facebook and that's when she started texting me about bills and dysregulating.  Forgot to mention that part of when she started texting.
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2014, 07:54:59 AM »

You asked for help. I'm going to be tough and give it to you the best I can. I'll be taking this apart bit by bit to show you your part of things here the best I can. Hang on, this might be a ride!

How am I responding in ways that drive my resentment up?

Your resentment is your feeling. I don't know exactly where it comes from, and even if I did, it wouldn't help you for me to be telling you about it.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Ask yourself some questions: What am I feeling about her? Think about the last few interactions, and what you were feeling immediately after you got a text or had a conversation.

Give yourself some time to just feel these things, you don't have to DO anything at all.

You may answer your own question about what you are doing that is driving up your resentment.

Excerpt
I don't show her the resentment do I? 

I'm not watching your interactions, so I don't know.

pwBPD are usually hypersensitive to the emotions of others around them. If you are feeling a tenth of an ounce of resentment while you are talking to her, she will probably notice... .and react.

Excerpt
So tell me what I'm doing wrong... .This is where I start to feel like a failure.  It feels like I can't respond correctly no matter how I respond. 

It is really tough to do this well. Perhaps the first problem is to define "respond correctly."

If your definition includes the behavior you want from her, you will never get it "right"

If your goal is to reconcile with her, offer her positive, validating interactions with you. Don't validate the invalid. Don't be a human punching bag for emotional abuse. You will still need your boundaries.

Excerpt
I tell her I won't drop something off at her doorstep, and she meets with me only to pick it up and won't sit down to have lunch with me. 

You were trying to force her to spend time with you. She saw that as controlling and manipulative, and didn't react well.

If you offer something, offer it as a genuine gift, without attaching strings. If you are feeling too pissy to do this, that's OK. Save the "gift" for later when you can give it freely.

Excerpt
I tell her that I won't discuss it on text and she won't meet with me.

It is your right to not discuss something on text. There are lots of good reasons for that; I'm not second guessing that.

You have no right, no ability, and no good reason to force her to discuss something in your way.

If she reacts by not discussing it at all, or cutting communications for a week, that is her choice, and you cannot stop her... .and absolutely shouldn't try.

Excerpt
I tell her I'm not paying her bills and I'm still the a$$hole and she says that "they will never see us again".

You have every right to tell her what you are going to do with your money.

She has every right to call you any names you stick around and listen to.

She doesn't have to be correct. She doesn't even have to be truthful.

And you don't have to listen to her, or believe her.

Excerpt
It seems that no matter what I do, I can't gain control of this and the ball is always in her court... .

That is true. Here's the kicker:

When you are trying to control her, you are putting the ball in her court, setting her up to smash it right down your throat.

If you don't like how that plays out, stop doing your part of it.

Excerpt
She still has my laptop for God's sake... .

This sounds like the resentment you were asking about earlier.
Grey Kitty

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2014, 07:58:29 AM »

Another thing, when I'm doing stuff without her, it seems to drive her crazy.  Friday she texted me, and Saturday I was at a birthday party with my kids and posted a picture to Facebook and that's when she started texting me about bills and dysregulating.  Forgot to mention that part of when she started texting.

It is her right to go crazy when you do something without her. You can't stop that.

It is your choice what to do about it if and when she does.

The healthy thing is to disengage from her, and stick to living your life in a way that works for you.

You know how to live better. Don't let her stop you. And don't try to convince her that it is the right thing for you to do. Her opinion on it doesn't matter (to you).
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2014, 08:24:15 AM »

Ok... .Here is how I am feeling at times... .

1.  I'm very hurt that she doesn't seem to want to spend time together with me.

2.  I'm hurt that she doesn't care more about our relationship than this.

3.  I'm hurt that she doesn't care more about my kids who love her and want to see her and want to see their brothers and sisters.  Seeing them hurt over this this weekend bothered me even though I stayed strong and didn't show it. 

4.  I'm hurt that she has lied on me to other people.

5.  I'm hurt that I haven't seen her kids who called me dad.

6.  I'm tired of everything being about her.

7.  I'm hurt that she has made me drop classes this semester by keeping my laptop when she was such a huge factor in helping me have the courage to go back to school.

8.  I'm tired of all her problems being my fault.
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2014, 08:46:49 AM »

I am still confused on my wife's birthday Saturday.  Formflier said wait to see how counseling goes, but since she has said she isn't going to counseling, what should I do.  I do want to get her some flowers.  No strings attached, but I love her and want her to know that.  Don't want to be a doormat either or reward bad behavior.
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »

How do I get her to spend time with me without her feeling "controlled or manipulated"?
Grey Kitty

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2014, 11:16:05 AM »

How do I get her to spend time with me without her feeling "controlled or manipulated"?

Tough answer: You don't.

She decides that she wants to spend time with you. Or she doesn't. 100% up to her.

HOWEVER, if you stop trying to control and manipulate her, she is more likely to want to spend time with you. Eventually.

Doing it this way is the long game, and there is no guarantee of success.

Accepting this is heartbreaking.

Back to being blunt: How's the other method you've been using working for you?

I do want to get her some flowers.  No strings attached, but I love her and want her to know that.

Man, do what feels right to you. Hope for a good reception. Be prepared for a raging dysregulation instead. Or silence. Follow your heart.
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2014, 12:21:42 PM »

Tough answer: You don't.

She decides that she wants to spend time with you. Or she doesn't. 100% up to her.

HOWEVER, if you stop trying to control and manipulate her, she is more likely to want to spend time with you. Eventually.

Doing it this way is the long game, and there is no guarantee of success.

Accepting this is heartbreaking.

Back to being blunt: How's the other method you've been using working for you?

I do want to get her some flowers.  No strings attached, but I love her and want her to know that.

Man, do what feels right to you. Hope for a good reception. Be prepared for a raging dysregulation instead. Or silence. Follow your heart.

The other method hasn't worked.  Should I apologize for "trying to control her?"  Why would a gift on her birthday cause her to dysregulate when it is something she loves... .The woman I fell in love with would have never refused to see me.  This is what breaks my heart.
Grey Kitty

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2014, 12:51:39 PM »

Should I apologize for "trying to control her?"  

How has apologizing worked for you before?

Yes, that was a rhetorical question. Seriously, she won't believe your words if they don't match her feelings.

Let her see your actions and draw her own conclusions.

Excerpt
Why would a gift on her birthday cause her to dysregulate when it is something she loves... .

Birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays are a classic time for a pwBPD to dysregulate. I can't uunderstand that mindset quite well enough to explain why... .go and re-read hurthusband's story of his wife's birthday if you haven't recently.

Excerpt
The woman I fell in love with would have never refused to see me.  This is what breaks my heart.

That statement doesn't match reality. The woman you fell in love with is doing exactly that, right now.

And it is heartbreaking.

Pretending it isn't happening won't heal your heart.
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »

Should I apologize for "trying to control her?"  

How has apologizing worked for you before?

Yes, that was a rhetorical question. Seriously, she won't believe your words if they don't match her feelings.

Let her see your actions and draw her own conclusions.

Excerpt
Why would a gift on her birthday cause her to dysregulate when it is something she loves... .

Birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays are a classic time for a pwBPD to dysregulate. I can't uunderstand that mindset quite well enough to explain why... .go and re-read hurthusband's story of his wife's birthday if you haven't recently.

Excerpt
The woman I fell in love with would have never refused to see me.  This is what breaks my heart.

That statement doesn't match reality. The woman you fell in love with is doing exactly that, right now.

And it is heartbreaking.

Pretending it isn't happening won't heal your heart.

Ouch!... .Doses of reality are needed, but hurt regardless... .
Grey Kitty

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2014, 05:42:15 PM »

Ouch!... .Doses of reality are needed, but hurt regardless... .

Yeah. Tell me about it!

(Don't know if you've read my threads about infidelity... .I've gotten over the RDA of reality from my wife already.)

I wish I could give you a better reality than the one you've got.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »

Been out for a bit.

Will try to answer more later.

Don't apologize.

Stop telling her what you won't do... .stay positive.

I'm happy to meet so we can discuss bills properly. 

Yes it is still controlling... but comes across less so.  Ultimately... .you are only controlling your actions... .she will control her actions... and she will feel the way she feels.

Go to counseling... .she may change her mind many times... .and may or may not show up.

How did counseling get brought up before... .when she told you she wasn't going?

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2014, 10:53:33 PM »

Been out for a bit.

Will try to answer more later.

Don't apologize.

Stop telling her what you won't do... .stay positive.

I'm happy to meet so we can discuss bills properly.  

Yes it is still controlling... but comes across less so.  Ultimately... .you are only controlling your actions... .she will control her actions... and she will feel the way she feels.

Go to counseling... .she may change her mind many times... .and may or may not show up.

How did counseling get brought up before... .when she told you she wasn't going?

Her dysregulation was Saturday when I was at a birthday party for my friend's daughter.  She texted me not minutes after me posting a picture and video.  I told her that I would see her in counseling at the end of our texting session and that the address was on the "family calendar" that we share.  She unsubscribed from it as soon as I said that.  
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2014, 03:40:36 AM »

Staff only

This topic has now been locked as it has reached its page limit in accordance with board policy.

Thank you everyone for your participation.

If there are any ongoing aspects you wish to discuss further feel free to open a new topic

Thanks for your understanding

Waverider

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest