Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 11:46:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the manipulation/lies ever stop?  (Read 1504 times)
Recooperating

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2015, 07:31:13 AM »

Well thats also an ongoing struggle! I started of really strong 8 months ago when we broke up. Since he and she kept harrasing me, sending me rages and tantrums I deactivated my FB altogether. I later created a new account under a different name, only invited people I know really well to be my friend and kept it locked down like a fortress! I blocked both of them so they wouldnt be able to find me. They have been blocked ever since. I never checked my exs page cause I know it would be filled with hostile quotes and nonsense anyway. Now comes the bad part... .She has been blocked ever since to and I dont check the content of her page... .I go to the section where you block people, type her name and then she pops up in the list with her profile pic... .Thats the only way I kept tabs on them. Its pathetic I know.

The point is I really dont want to unblock them, since then they'll be able to find and harras me. Now I have to keep away, and keep reminding myself its none of my bussiness. I dont want him back ever, I have to move forward instead of looking in the past. And looking will only hurt me... .But as always its easier said then done... .It truely is detoxing from an addiction!

How about you? How are you handling the replacement and the whole situation?
JayApril

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2015, 07:42:36 AM »

Well thats also an ongoing struggle! I started of really strong 8 months ago when we broke up. Since he and she kept harrasing me, sending me rages and tantrums I deactivated my FB altogether. I later created a new account under a different name, only invited people I know really well to be my friend and kept it locked down like a fortress! I blocked both of them so they wouldnt be able to find me. They have been blocked ever since. I never checked my exs page cause I know it would be filled with hostile quotes and nonsense anyway. Now comes the bad part... .She has been blocked ever since to and I dont check the content of her page... .I go to the section where you block people, type her name and then she pops up in the list with her profile pic... .Thats the only way I kept tabs on them. Its pathetic I know.

The point is I really dont want to unblock them, since then they'll be able to find and harras me. Now I have to keep away, and keep reminding myself its none of my bussiness. I dont want him back ever, I have to move forward instead of looking in the past. And looking will only hurt me... .But as always its easier said then done... .It truely is detoxing from an addiction!

How about you? How are you handling the replacement and the whole situation?

I pray for the new girl, or replacement this is his second replacement. It makes me wonder what kind of person she is to be with someone like him. I check his facebook for things I can use to prove his disunctional, or mental illness in court. (If we had to go to court). Like him abusing drugs and, suicidal behavior. Pretty much anything to prove he is not stable. It is legal blackmail really. But, I think I have gotten enough proof but, I still check to be nosy. Its bad but... .I do it.
going places

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2015, 07:56:04 AM »

This is some (probably irrational) fear that I have. That she will meet someone else and stop with the lies. Tell him the truth and become an honest person. I know that I would probably have put up with her if it wasn't for all the lies and infidelity. Can they decide to stop lying?

My experience is this:

Divorced after 25 years. He lied to me the day we met, and every single day afterwards.

From little stuff like "what did you have for lunch"

To affairs and addictions.

He still lies his guts out today.

And he, is NOT my problem. Praise the Lord.

I am 11 months post divorce, and it took a long time to get where I am mentally and emotionally, but I am so thankful, so relieved he is out of my life. I am thankful for every day, I do not have to talk to him. I am hopeful of my bright bright future! I am moving 5 states away in 2 months, and I cannot wait!
skittles22

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2015, 09:42:19 AM »

Even being fully 100% aware of what they do, they seem to have these built-in defense mechanisms to alter what happened in their head so it fits what suits them. This is just how their brains are. It's impossible for us to grasp because most of our brains developed normally. I think it's more akin to brain damage rather than mental illness. They developed all of these defense mechanisms a lot of times before they were even born. Look up "Stress Portrait of a Killer"

My diagnosed exBPD truly convinced me at the end of our relationship that she was going to stay away from men altogether and try to recover, fully acknowledging how screwed up she is. We hadn't even fully broken up, we took a "break" so she could get her head straight. 1 month later she's with some new guy and is all normal again, thanking me for everything I had helped her through and how she's grateful to have had me in her life. Yes, even after saying out-loud that she NEEDS to stay away from men, and fully acknowledging her how sick she is. But of course, that never happened.

They could possibly learn to behave less destructively, but they will never actually change. Life's waaay too short to spend even another minute worrying or thinking about someone who's so damaged. There are literally billions of other people out there who will treat you so much better, waiting for you to come along. Don't stay stuck on this one bad apple. Even I'm still trying to do that myself, but we will get through this.
LonelyChild

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 09:52:59 AM »

Even being fully 100% aware of what they do, they seem to have these built-in defense mechanisms to alter what happened in their head so it fits what suits them. This is just how their brains are. It's impossible for us to grasp because most of our brains developed normally. I think it's more akin to brain damage rather than mental illness. They developed all of these defense mechanisms a lot of times before they were even born. Look up "Stress Portrait of a Killer"

Don't be too quick on the trigger there. We're the ones sitting here, trying to figure ourselves out. What just happened to us, why did we put up with it, etc.

If you look at my first post, you would never think anyone would put up with that. Yet here I am, missing her. Or something we had. Or something I thought we had. Or some fantasy that I never had. I barely know who I am anymore.

My diagnosed exBPD truly convinced me at the end of our relationship that she was going to stay away from men altogether and try to recover, fully acknowledging how screwed up she is. We hadn't even fully broken up, we took a "break" so she could get her head straight. 1 month later she's with some new guy and is all normal again, thanking me for everything I had helped her through and how she's grateful to have had me in her life. Yes, even after saying out-loud that she NEEDS to stay away from men, and fully acknowledging her how sick she is. But of course, that never happened.

The convincing part is very uncomfortable and almost scary. They can be so extremely convincing. Even though there is NO basis for what they are saying. They are probably very good cult leaders.

They could possibly learn to behave less destructively, but they will never actually change. Life's waaay too short to spend even another minute worrying or thinking about someone who's so damaged. There are literally billions of other people out there who will treat you so much better, waiting for you to come along. Don't stay stuck on this one bad apple. Even I'm still trying to do that myself, but we will get through this.

It's funny how we all INTELLECTUALLY know we have to move on from their crap. But EMOTIONALLY we struggle like children. Isn't that what they do, as well?
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »

From what I have read, a personality disordered individual needs 5+ years of therapy to show any signs of progress, if any signs at all. That's if that person goes into therapy at all. If you are dealing with a highly functioning PD person, chances of him/her going into therapy are rather slim. So, stop living in that fear, there is nobody out there besides a therapist who can change her.

This is overly pessimistic view of therapy.

This editorial reports 40% of patients with borderline personality disorder remit (remission) after 2 years, with 88% no longer meeting Diagnostic Interview for Borderlines—Revised or DSM-III-R criteria after 10 years

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=123298.msg775390#msg775390

And people who are high function do even better.

The number above are not about "intensive therapy" - there were people that started therapy and it includes those that did little and those that worked hard at it.

Compare this to AA, the rates are far better.  AA shows rates of  5% - 25%.

LonelyChild

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 10:31:30 AM »

... .

Our overly pessimistic views are probably partly due to us wanting to confirm our own suspicions - that they don't get better - to make detaching easier.

Either way, it seems you can get better with therapy (of course), but why do so few pwBPD improve? Asking anyone on here (of course, it's a biased sample, but still) change doesn't really seem to happen.
Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2015, 10:44:05 AM »

I wonder if it is our magical thinking is partly a factor that kept us with them for so long... .  The hope that they would change. 

The hope that the r/s would revert back to the first year.

The hope that we would, with hard enough work, get the r/s we envisioned.

So post b/u... .

Maybe the thought that our ex partner will magically have the r/s we had envisioned all along, but with another, not us... .

Maybe this is actually evidence of our continued attachment to that original fantasy r/s?

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
LonelyChild

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2015, 10:52:26 AM »

I wonder if it is our magical thinking is partly a factor that kept us with them for so long... .  The hope that they would change. 

So post b/u... .

Maybe the thought that our ex partner will magically have the r/s we had envisioned all along, but with another, not us... .

Maybe this is actually evidence of our continued attachment to that original fantasy r/s?

Do you have this magical thinking in other areas of life? My ex was my dream gf first months. I guess I came to believe that's who she was. But it was just an act.
Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »

So post b/u... .

Do you have this magical thinking in other areas of life? My ex was my dream gf first months. I guess I came to believe that's who she was. But it was just an act.

Humm... .Good question.  I am not sure.  I would imagine I do, but cannot think of it.  Maybe it is an element of codependency, therefore, only surfaces in intimate r/s?  I work with people and am always sizing up the potential I feel they have and then helping them work toward that.  However, I wouldn't call that magical thinking as I'm reasonable about where I feel their potential can be.  I do this with r/s too though... .  I am often taking on a facilitator type role.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
FannyB

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »

Excerpt
It's funny how we all INTELLECTUALLY know we have to move on from their crap. But EMOTIONALLY we struggle like children. Isn't that what they do, as well?

Wow, LC, harsh but fair IMO. But do we simply suffer from proximal insanity which takes a long time to wear off - but hopefully isn't permanent? 
jhkbuzz

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2015, 11:19:35 AM »

Excerpt

Wow, LC, harsh but fair IMO. But do we simply suffer from proximal insanity which takes a long time to wear off - but hopefully isn't permanent? 

I know that in the first months of the b/u I struggled with what I knew intellectually (she is disordered; until she acknowledges this and gets help there is no hope for our r/s) with what I felt in my heart (I loved her, I wanted to stand by my commitment to her, I missed her).

I don't think this is a childish struggle; I think it's a normal struggle in which an important r/s is grieved and time is needed to emotionally accept that someone you loved and shared a life with has a serious mental disorder.
FannyB

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 01:44:55 PM »

Excerpt
I think it's a normal struggle in which an important r/s is grieved and time is needed to emotionally accept that someone you loved and shared a life with has a serious mental disorder.

Jhkbuzz

You're right that it's normal to grieve. But I think that many of us are willing to take the positives of BPD (intense love, idealization, the hope of a wonderful future) but don't want to accept the limitations of the disorder when reality dawns. This makes it fundamentally different from breaking with a non after a LTR - and so much harder. 
LonelyChild

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 01:53:13 PM »

... .but don't want to accept the limitations of the disorder when reality dawns... .

This ties back into the manipulation for me. What ARE the limitations? My uxBPDgf couldn't do anything. She couldn't handle crowds of people because of stress. Too much sounds etc.

BUT. When she felt like it, she went partying like crazy.

This is why the disorder is so hard to grasp.

What if your SO was in a wheel chair and said "I can't walk, can you help me?" And then, on certain days, your SO went "F you", got up from the wheel chair and went out running. That would drive you mad. Just like BPD. It doesn't feel sincere. I will never know if it is or isn't. I know she CAN act normal. I have no idea if she chooses not to the times when she doesn't.
FannyB

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2015, 02:01:42 PM »

Excerpt
What ARE the limitations

The paradoxical behaviours and inconsistencies. If we classify ourselves as 'normal' then we're never going to get it because we don't think like them. I don't get child killers or paedophiles either - but I accept they are out there. Similarly, I accept that my ex is disordered but have no wish to make sense of her actions as I'd need to be disordered myself to do that!
JayApril

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2015, 02:09:42 PM »

Excerpt
What ARE the limitations

The paradoxical behaviours and inconsistencies. If we classify ourselves as 'normal' then we're never going to get it because we don't think like them. I don't get child killers or paedophiles either - but I accept they are out there. Similarly, I accept that my ex is disordered but have no wish to make sense of her actions as I'd need to be disordered myself to do that!

That is a good point. We are not disordered therefore we will never understand their logic or behavior. I think there comes a point where you are healed and you do not care to understand their behavior or logic.
apollotech

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2015, 02:38:43 PM »

"I know that in the first months of the b/u I struggled with what I knew intellectually (she is disordered; until she acknowledges this and gets help there is no hope for our r/s) with what I felt in my heart (I loved her, I wanted to stand by my commitment to her, I missed her).

I don't think this is a childish struggle; I think it's a normal struggle in which an important r/s is grieved and time is needed to emotionally accept that someone you loved and shared a life with has a serious mental disorder.
"

Very nicely stated jhk. I agree, that head/heart battle is a tough one.
jhkbuzz

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2015, 07:20:25 AM »

Excerpt
I think it's a normal struggle in which an important r/s is grieved and time is needed to emotionally accept that someone you loved and shared a life with has a serious mental disorder.

Jhkbuzz

You're right that it's normal to grieve. But I think that many of us are willing to take the positives of BPD (intense love, idealization, the hope of a wonderful future) but don't want to accept the limitations of the disorder when reality dawns. This makes it fundamentally different from breaking with a non after a LTR - and so much harder. 

I agree... .especially when many of us don't understand that we have a disordered partner. The dichotomy between the idealization and the devaluation is extreme - it was difficult for me to wrap my head around.
LonelyChild

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2015, 07:24:02 AM »

I agree... .especially when many of us don't understand that we have a disordered partner. The dichotomy between the idealization and the devaluation is extreme - it was difficult for me to wrap my head around.

My ex is currently in a psych ward. I still have a hard time accepting she's disordered. From the outside, it's as if she chooses this. Because I've seen her turn to normal in the blink of an eye. She CAN act normal. So why she does this is beyond me.

She sent me pictures of herself from in there. She had banged her head against the wall, with blood on her face. She has cut her arms. She has scratched her cheeks and neck so her face and neck are full of bloody sores. It's as if she sees this as a game, play or act. I don't understand it.

She has gone "horror movie mental" right now. I have no idea if it's real or not.
jhkbuzz

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2015, 09:21:43 AM »

My ex is currently in a psych ward. I still have a hard time accepting she's disordered. From the outside, it's as if she chooses this. Because I've seen her turn to normal in the blink of an eye. She CAN act normal. So why she does this is beyond me.

She sent me pictures of herself from in there. She had banged her head against the wall, with blood on her face. She has cut her arms. She has scratched her cheeks and neck so her face and neck are full of bloody sores. It's as if she sees this as a game, play or act. I don't understand it.

She has gone "horror movie mental" right now. I have no idea if it's real or not.

I understand your struggle... .for me, my journey towards "radical acceptance" has included "letting go" of the thought that she is just like me: an adult living a purposeful life who is (usually) making well thought-out decisions. I say this with sadness: she is nothing like me; she is disordered and impulsive and is unsure of who she is. The fact that she sometimes mirrored my stability and values doesn't mean they were hers; the ping-ponging back and forth shows this to be the case.

When you say "I have no idea if it's real or not" do you mean that you're not sure if the pictures are "staged"?  Because if you are certain that she has been hospitalized then it's "real" - and what you need to come to grips with is your own denial of her disorder. This has nothing to do with her and everything to do with you.
apollotech

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »

"I still have a hard time accepting she's disordered. From the outside, it's as if she chooses this. Because I've seen her turn to normal in the blink of an eye. She CAN act normal. So why she does this is beyond me."

LC,

Yes, they can act normal. In fact, like all of us, they must act normal in order to participate in society (This is why she "acts" normal at times.). As herd creatures, which we are, we learn said behaviors in order to interact with/participate within the herd. Those behaviors can also be imitated (A wolf can enter in sheep's clothing. I am not calling your exSO a wolf, but I want to reference that common analogy/story that is shared and understood by many.). I suspect that that is what she is doing when you see her "acting" normal---she is imitating what is expected. That does not mean that that is who/how she is. In my opinion, this is the reason that their words very seldom match their actions, one is an imitation of what is expected.

We all learn and play many different roles in life. To my son I am Dad. To my brothers I am brother. To my friends I am friend. Etc. Because I am mentally healthy, I do not have to imitate what others expect of me in those roles. I am a Dad. I am a brother. I am a friend. I have accepted the responsibilities that each of those roles entail. Because of her disorder, she is "acting" the part; she is not living the part. See the difference?

At times she does "choose" to "act" normally, but that is draining; she cannot maintain the facade indefinitely. (At this point, think about the burden that she bears in life. She is not normal; she recognizes that as she is trying to "pretend" to be normal (That is the proof of my statement.) She "pretends" to be normal in order to be accepted. She knows that she cannot continually show us, the herd, who she really is because she won't be accepted as such (She is now hospitalized.). I am not making a moral call here---should she or shouldn't she be hospitalized, should she or shouldn't she be accepted into the herd as she is? I am trying to view the world from her side; her view of herself through us must present endless disappointment and unforseen nightmares for her. To know that you do not (cannot) fit in.)

LC, the very best thing you can do for your friend (and yourself as well) is to "accept" your friend as she is. This is not to say that you should enter a damaging relationship with her and sacrifice yourself. You must be healed and whole yourself before you can be of any benefit to anyone, especially someone that is not well. If you do not maintain you, you cannot be of a benefit to her. She cannot carry the load.
ShadowIntheNight

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2015, 11:19:44 AM »

This is some (probably irrational) fear that I have. That she will meet someone else and stop with the lies. Tell him the truth and become an honest person. I know that I would probably have put up with her if it wasn't for all the lies and infidelity. Can they decide to stop lying?

Let's say you have a habit that you've had since you were a child. Let's say that you've done it everyday of your life til this very day.,let's say you meet someone who you think could be "the one." Now what do you do with this habit? Do you show the new person who may reject you for it? No, chances are you HIDE the habit until "the ONE" is firmly ensconced and won't think it's that big a deal anyway.

Now how do you break that habit til then? You don't. That's right, you don't. You're not around "the one" 24/7 yet so there are ample opportunities for your habit to be on display in other areas of your life. Sure you may slip up every now and then and "the one" sees or experiences the habit. But you don't do it in front of said person enough to make them bolt. Said person shrugs it off and says everyone has the little quirks.

Once they're firmly in place and aren't moving anywhere, you pull out the habit more and more, til "the one" realizes maybe you've had this habit all along. How come I never saw or noticed it before? Then they are off to the races.

The point is, no, they don't drop something they've done their entire lives for "the one" UNLESS they go into deep counseling and TRY to get over being a liar.

My ex is a huge liar. I can guarantee you the man she is with now has no idea she was in a lesbian relationship for 10 years with another woman. If I've even come up it's been as "my friend," she's lied to her family about us, her kids, her friends. Amazingly, as religious as she is, the one person she can't lie to is  God. And if she could figure out how to get away with it, she probably would.

So shrug that thinking off. Zebras can't get rid of their stripes. Liars don't stop lying for someone new. Not for long anyway... .
LonelyChild

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »

When you say "I have no idea if it's real or not" do you mean that you're not sure if the pictures are "staged"?  Because if you are certain that she has been hospitalized then it's "real" - and what you need to come to grips with is your own denial of her disorder. This has nothing to do with her and everything to do with you.

The pictures are real, and she has been hospitalized. The weird thing is that she can decide to act normal whenever she wants(?). It's as if she consciously chooses this kind of life.
LonelyChild

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »

LC, the very best thing you can do for your friend (and yourself as well) is to "accept" your friend as she is. This is not to say that you should enter a damaging relationship with her and sacrifice yourself. You must be healed and whole yourself before you can be of any benefit to anyone, especially someone that is not well. If you do not maintain you, you cannot be of a benefit to her. She cannot carry the load.

Thank you for a very nice post.

Yes, but what makes it so hard to detach is the fact that she becomes normal (seemingly) whenever I'm about to.
jhkbuzz

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2015, 12:18:59 PM »

The pictures are real, and she has been hospitalized. The weird thing is that she can decide to act normal whenever she wants(?). It's as if she consciously chooses this kind of life.

Think about that ^ statement "It's as if she consciously chooses this kind of life."

Do you know anyone who would consciously choose being hospitalized and self-injurious?  I don't.  It's the disorder.  You are fooled by her intermittent appearances of "normalcy."  It's as if, for you, she has to "act crazy" 100% of the time for you to believe there is a disorder at play.

She is mentally ill. Her hospitalization and self-injurious behavior make this clear.

You're having a hard time reconciling her appearances of normal with her disorder, which I understand.  It took me a long time to reconcile as well.  It will come with the passage of time, and with emotional distance from her.
LonelyChild

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2015, 12:26:09 PM »

Think about that ^ statement "It's as if she consciously chooses this kind of life."

Do you know anyone who would consciously choose being hospitalized and self-injurious?  I don't.  It's the disorder.  You are fooled by her intermittent appearances of "normalcy."  It's as if, for you, she has to "act crazy" 100% of the time for you to believe there is a disorder at play.

She is mentally ill. Her hospitalization and self-injurious behavior make this clear.

You're having a hard time reconciling her appearances of normal with her disorder, which I understand.  It took me a long time to reconcile as well.  It will come with the passage of time, and with emotional distance from her.

Yes. Like someone in a wheelchair, I expect someone to either be able to interact in a normal way with others or not. But I guess mental disorders are more complex than that.

So who is she when she is normal? Is that not her? When she's being a sweet girl? Who is that? Just theatre?
jhkbuzz

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2015, 01:11:17 PM »

Excerpt
Yes. Like someone in a wheelchair, I expect someone to either be able to interact in a normal way with others or not. But I guess mental disorders are more complex than that.

Yes - exactly.

Excerpt
So who is she when she is normal? Is that not her? When she's being a sweet girl? Who is that? Just theatre?

None of it is purposeful or premeditated if she is BPD - NPD and ASD are a different ballgame. If she is truly just BPD, they are ALL her.

I found reading about Jeffrey Young's Schema Therapy (and the associated "schema modes" to be really helpful in understanding some of the questions you currently have.  Where is the "normal adult" I fell in love with?  Why does she sometimes seem like a vulnerable, scared little girl?  Why does she sometimes come across as completely cold and emotionally detached?

www.getselfhelp.co.uk/schema.htm

apollotech

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »

"Yes, but what makes it so hard to detach is the fact that she becomes normal (seemingly) whenever I'm about to."

LC,

I don't understand your difficulty in understanding/believing that your friend is sick with a mental illness. She is in the hospital due to her disorder; that is not an act. That is her. When she acts normal, that is her as well. But, her disorder underlies all of what you see and experience with her; because of that, when she appears to be normal she is not normal.

If I step into a crowded room, full of people, the chances are very great that at least one person in that room is going to have diabetes. Will I be able to pick that person out of the crowd, no. That does not mean the person doesn't have diabetes just because I cannot "see" their diabetes. It is there with that person; it underlies that persons life. In regards to absolute health, that person is unhealthy because he/she is stricken with diabetes. The diabetes is an abnormality, although unseen.

I think that when you see your friend as normal you have hope that that is who she is. Then she regresses and the disorder presents it's ugliness. Again, all of that is her, and her disorder underlies all of it. You have seen it. I don't believe that you have reached a point where you can accepted it. Hope can keep us from facing reality. It is not a game for her LC. Her life, because of her disorder, is a wreck. When your hope wanes, you'll see and accept her as she is. (That is your responsibility, not hers.)
LonelyChild

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2015, 03:01:27 PM »

"Yes, but what makes it so hard to detach is the fact that she becomes normal (seemingly) whenever I'm about to."

LC,

I don't understand your difficulty in understanding/believing that your friend is sick with a mental illness. She is in the hospital due to her disorder; that is not an act. That is her. When she acts normal, that is her as well. But, her disorder underlies all of what you see and experience with her; because of that, when she appears to be normal she is not normal.

If I step into a crowded room, full of people, the chances are very great that at least one person in that room is going to have diabetes. Will I be able to pick that person out of the crowd, no. That does not mean the person doesn't have diabetes just because I cannot "see" their diabetes. It is there with that person; it underlies that persons life. In regards to absolute health, that person is unhealthy because he/she is stricken with diabetes. The diabetes is an abnormality, although unseen.

I think that when you see your friend as normal you have hope that that is who she is. Then she regresses and the disorder presents it's ugliness. Again, all of that is her, and her disorder underlies all of it. You have seen it. I don't believe that you have reached a point where you can accepted it. Hope can keep us from facing reality. It is not a game for her LC. Her life, because of her disorder, is a wreck. When your hope wanes, you'll see and accept her as she is. (That is your responsibility, not hers.)

Not quite sure. It's just hard to understand how you can be perceptive at one moment, and not the next. Where does she go when she stops being perceptive? Could you liken it to something that happens for normal people? Is it like becoming drunk?

I visited her today. She was the sweetest girl ever. I know this won't last. But is this her? Is she acting? Is she thinking "I'll play sweet so he doesn't abandon me"?

What's it like to be a pwBPD? Are they like, high? Drunk?
LonelyChild

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2015, 03:30:30 PM »

... .

It's just very hard to integrate both of her personalities. If I accept that she is as crazy as she acts, she is absolutely horror movie insane style crazy. If I don't accept that, I have to call it an act. It's just very hard to warp my head around it.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest