Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 15, 2024, 08:54:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What I learned  (Read 370 times)
MaggieMisty

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Recently separated

« on: February 08, 2022, 12:30:12 PM »

Hello,
Have not been here in a number of weeks. I broke up with my ex two months ago… well more correctly I had to flee the house after another one of his abusive episodes. Since then he bombarded me with texts and emails and promises to come back and all will be perfect. And then I blocked him on everything. Did not buy into his promises again.. And why? I am sharing here with the hope that this might help some of the other people on this forum who are in pain, missing their loved ones with BPD and / or contemplating letting  them back in.

I realized this, after the initial shock passed:

If you at all care about yourself and your loved one with BPD you have to go NO CONTACT, not just for your own sanity but also because these kind of relationships are like drugs - both parties are addicts. That’s the effects they have on our nervous system with all the ups and downs and run around. Neither you nor that person can get better if there is contact (not sure how people who share children deal with this but I am sure there’s a lot of good advice on boundaries on this forum).

How can your loved one get better if you are pushing drugs onto them (your love, soothing, etc)? They cannot. This helped me a lot to detach. No matter how much he pleaded I knew that he will never get better in a relationship, he needs to do his work by himself and for a very long time before he’s ready to love anyone truly. I really hope he does. He admits now that  he has BPD and has started therapy, although alarmingly he’s on the sixth therapist now (since August last year). For the sake of the people who will cross his path in the future I really hope he is committed to getting better.

I also have to go no contact as the drama and upheaval of being in this kind of a relationship distracted me from healing my own wounds (“oh poor you let’s fix you so I don’t have to look at my own pain and trauma” type of a thing.). I had enough of that. Life is too short for delaying my own work and happiness. I wish you all the best in your recovery.
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 01:34:00 PM »

Thank you for checking in and updating us MM. BTW...I am happy for you and proud of you for seeing where your head is at now.

Always remember to Want Better, Expect Better, Do Better!

Cheers and best wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 08:35:43 PM »

You have shared some important wisdom, MaggieMistyDoing the right thing (click to insert in post) Thank you!

Sounds like you are making some great strides forward in setting up the boundaries you need to be able to heal. Self introspection is so important as we learn from the past. Well done. Keep at it!

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
MaggieMisty

Relationship status: Recently separated

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 12:49:30 PM »

I am really grateful this website exists it helped me a lot in making sense of my experience.
Thank you all.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest