Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:44:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: As one who has read this book, how would you rate it?
Excellent - 0 (0%)
Good - 0 (0%)
Fair - 0 (0%)
Poor - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Respect and Dealing When Your Line Is Crossed - Courtney Macavinta  (Read 800 times)
blackandwhite
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« on: October 03, 2010, 06:42:20 PM »

Respect: A Girl's Guide to Getting Respect and Dealing When Your Line Is Crossed
Author: Courtney Macavinta and Andrea Vander Pluym
Publisher: Free Spirit Publishing (June, 2005)
Paperback: 228 pages
ISBN-10: 1575421771
ISBN-13: 9781575421773

Book Description
This book helps pre-teen and teen girls understand and practice respect—at home, at school, with their friends, and in the world. Tips, activities, writing exercises, and quotes from teens keep readers involved. A “big sister” style inspires trust. Girls learn respect is connected to everything, every girl deserves respect, and respect is always within reach because it starts on the inside.

The book teaches explicit relationship skills. What do you do when somebody treats you nicely in private but disdainfully in public? When somebody makes up stories about you? When you realize you've betrayed someone and want to repair the damage? For girls with a BPD person in their lives (particularly a parent or sibling), these lessons may be a great place to open up difficult conversations about issues like boundaries, abuse, and dealing with strong emotions. (Note: There is a chapter on sexuality, with the goal of helping girls make empowering choices. Adults should review the material for appropriateness.) Children who grow up in a BPD environment can end up with very skewed ideas about how relationships work. This book's explicit messages and lessons can help provide a counterbalance.

About the Authors
Courtney Macavinta and Andrea R. Vander Pluym are the former editors of the popular online and radio network ChickClick, and writers whose articles have appeared in teen and adult magazines and news outlets.

What they call you is one thing.
What you answer to is something else. ~ Lucille Clifton
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »

hello black and white.

i got this book about 2 weeks ago... .thinking it might be useful to discuss with my BPD14... .now that she is in a place within herself to listen and feel that she deserves respect... .on the reviews at amazon... .there were a few moms who didn't recommend the book.

i am only about half the way through and there have been a few times i thought "that challenges our family values"... .then i remind myself that i have to trust my daughter to develop her own value system and respect herself and our value system... .i need to let go a bit and not attempt to protect her from her own choices... .

the book is much more detailed than i expected and  i found the main topics; validation of self and others, boundaries and values, developing a sense of self, etc... .very familiar  Smiling (click to insert in post)

thanks for posting this resource.

lbjnltx

ps... .there may come a time when we use this book as a guideline for a teen group study.

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition