Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 01:19:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Probably Moot Anyway  (Read 1212 times)
downandin

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 02, 2013, 11:43:52 AM »

Painted black almost the entire holidays.  She did thaw slightly on Christmas, because I asked her if she could just try to be happy for the children.  She is in a really bad way, and it is because of our already discussed in another thread (touchy subject) issue.  We can't talk about it to try to work things out, because that simply doesn't work.  

I do love her, and I love my step children immensely.  Divorce would mean not only losing her and everything we have worked so hard to build but also my kids (and to me they are my kids).  I was older (early 40s) when we married.  It was my first marriage, her third.  I do not have biological children and do not want to lose my kids.  They also should not have to deal with another divorce.  They have had relative stability for the first time, and it should not be taken from them.  I hate this life.  I try to make things work, but I am miserable.  I do not know what to do.

And I got to thinking... .  it probably is a 'moot' point anyway, because of my health.  I do not know how much more of the stress my body can take.  During the holidays, I was sick the entire time.  I have lost over 40 pounds in the last year.  Almost my entire family had heart disease.  I have many ailments already, and I suffer almost daily panic attacks from the fear of confrontation with her.  I guess it is just a question of which will break first, my spirit or my body.  I am afraid it will be my body.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:33:53 PM by Harri » Logged
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

elemental
aka "zencat"

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »

Down, what are you doing to take care of your health, both emotional and physical?

downandin

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »

Down, what are you doing to take care of your health, both emotional and physical?

For my physical health, I do see doctors.  Most of my problems, though, are chronic ones and are managed with medications.  I am scheduling an appointment with another one, about my sickness during Christmas.  As for emotional health, there really isn't much I can do.  I saw a counselor one time, but it wasn't very helpful.  I don't have any family to talk to, and my best friend isn't available much, though I do talk to him when I can.  I try to remain detached as best as I can from the emotional chaos of my life, but it is difficult.  I am an 'outdoor' person, and this makes winter absolutely horrible.  If I can be outside, working in the yard or garden, I am so much more happy.  I have never been diagnosed, but I am pretty sure I have SAD (seasonal affective disorder).  It was never really this bad, though, before I got married.
Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Together 9 years

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »

Hello Downandin

I'm worried for you. Please take good care of yourself. It's good that you are seeing a doctor for your physical health. Is there not another counselor/therapist/psychologist you can see? Even thought it didn't help much the first time, it might be different with another one. It's not just a question of credentials, but also of personal chemistry, whether you feel comfortable with the therapist.

Detaching is hard, I know. If it's not possible to see a therapist, you'll still find lots of great advice and help here. 

~~ The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again ... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly ~~ Become who you are ~~
CodependentHusband

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:39:20 PM »

down,

ohhhh! That's not good. I'm sorry to hear you sound so defeated right now. It is a rocky road, and I know all too well that it gets worse before it gets better for the long term. Don't let the stress get to that point. If you have to, pretend you don't care as much in order to start getting the emotional distance you need. You may have to disengage a bit further emotionally for a while in order to regain some stability before you find the right balance that's going to be more consistent on the long-term. I know that's what I had to do in order to get through it. I used to not really believe that stress can manifest itself in a physiological way to the extent I'd seen widely reported for years. I found out years ago during the last few years of marriage to an alcoholic that the link between mental health and physical health is VERY REAL. I'm in my mid 40's as well, and while the body changes over time, no doubt, you are still relatively young. Try to pinpoint some specific things that are stressing you out, and work on eliminating them one at a time. Don't know if that will work for you, but it sure did for me.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest