Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 01:26:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A step in a new terrible direction.  (Read 457 times)
romancandle

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 17, 2013, 09:14:59 AM »

So one of my worst fears came to fruition last night. My partner in frustration with our toddler started screaming and cursing at him and then took his drink and slammed it on the dinner table in front of him and then threw it across the room splattering it all over the dining room.  She then proceeded to tell me she is tired of being a parent and that I better enjoy being a single dad because she is done and left for a while.

I have dealt with a lot of abuse both physical and verbal from her in the past (feel free to read my past posts), so much so that I have become very desensitized to the behavior directed toward me.  But, I absolutely will not tolerate how she acted towards our 2 year old last night.

I took care of him and calmed him down (he was really scared after that) and after he went to bed I tried to talk calmly with her about it.  It ended up being an even bigger mess.  I told her how I felt and how I would not stand for her putting our son through that.  She tried to displace blame for her behavior on me and our son saying I didn’t help out enough and that he was ungrateful (he’s only 2!).

After all of this she became even further dysregulated and barricaded herself in the room.  When I eventually managed to see her she had been cutting herself and was a not talking to me.

I just don’t know what to do.  She kept telling me I was being a dick and judgmental.  I told her that I was going to be honest with her about my feelings(for once) because what had transpired earlier with our child was terrible.  I told her that I was concerned about the screaming and the violence and that she kept saying “I am sick have having a child” right in front of him.  She ignored me expressing my feelings and called me more names and eventually we went to sleep.

I just don’t know what to do.  I will not accept her taking out her depression/anger/frustrations on our innocent child.  To me a 2 year old can be very frustrating, but screaming profanities at them, saying you are sick of “having a child” and are “done with them” to them is not an adequate response.

Does anyone have any advice?  This is my biggest nightmare.  I worry all of the time that she is going to imprint this anger and violence in him and he will grow up to have it too.  I know that sounds terrible of me to say, but it is what keeps me up at night and is always in the back of my mind.  I want him to grow up in a safe nurturing environment, not some stress ridden ticking time bomb situation.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Somewhere

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »

jmho -- call CPS.  (Child Protective Services -- or whatever they call it in your area.)

You need the help AND the documentation.

You have a duty to protect the child first.

Rockylove

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »

I know how hard this is and you absolutely are correct in thinking that this will eventually give your 2 year old some very disturbing messages about himself and the world around him.  He is in a very formative stage and needs to feel safe... .  and you need to provide that if his mother isn't able.  Has she been diagnosed?

I've been a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate for children) for years now.  I've seen how devastating it can be for children to be reared in a dysfunctional environment and the aftermath is far worse than you can imagine.  Please... .  if you do nothing else, go to your local Social Services agency and ask for advice on handling this situation.  I can only give you limited advice as I'm not YOUR child's legal advocate... .  I just care.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest