Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 11:08:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hopeful signs in counseling  (Read 366 times)
sanemom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 14, 2013, 10:05:49 AM »

After FOUR long months asking for counseling between DH and DSD, the GAL finally recommended it.  In the meantime, DSD has been seeing her own individual counselor, who, as far as we can tell, is buying BPD mom's stories (and probably moreso because DSD is still enmeshed).  The boys have been seeing another counselor with DH (who tried to get their mom to come, but mom refused), and I think DH is going to request this counselor to work with DSD and him.

The counselor who has been seeing the boys told DH that DSS12 has good coping--he blows off what his mom says and doesn't really listen to her.  She said that DSS14 is still such a people pleaser that he is having a hard time.  And I guess based on what she is hearing from the boys, she let DH know that if she starts working with DSD and him, she thinks that DSD has to stay in denial to remain close to her mom (so he should not expect her to come out of denial anytime soon).  Now we don't really know what the boys have been telling her so I am not sure what BPD mom says that DSS12 "blows off" or DSS14 "has a hard time with because he is a people pleaser", but at least she is seeing the dynamic... .  and it isn't just DH and I letting her know that their mom lies and tries to manipulate them because it sounds like she sees it, too.

I suggested to DH that he sign off for this counselor to speak with DSD's counselor--DSD's counselor may be more likely to listen to another counselor's understanding (based on talks with the boys) than to DH.  

I guess I am finally hopeful that the GAL will start hearing from the counselors about what we thought was so obvious from the beginning.  AND... .  I am most hopeful that DSS14 will start asserting himself more and DSD and DH can heal.
Matt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced.

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:10:02 PM »

That sounds encouraging.

It might not go very fast, but I think it's good to work toward everything being pretty much out in the open.  Your husband won't want to overwhelm the counselor with the whole story in the first hour, but just talking openly with her and SD, over time, will probably help a lot.  And I also think you're right about the counselors talking with each other - that's likely to lead to exposure of false stuff.

sanemom

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:22:28 PM »

After FOUR long months asking for counseling between DH and DSD, the GAL finally recommended it.  

I spoke too soon.  The GAL told our lawyer he was going to recommend counseling on Tuesday morning.  As of Friday, he has yet to write the recommendation up.  I am sure that BPD mom's counsel is fighting the recommendation once again.  Our GAL is so annoying and slow.
Matt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 04:27:13 PM »

After FOUR long months asking for counseling between DH and DSD, the GAL finally recommended it.  

I spoke too soon.  The GAL told our lawyer he was going to recommend counseling on Tuesday morning.  As of Friday, he has yet to write the recommendation up.  I am sure that BPD mom's counsel is fighting the recommendation once again.  Our GAL is so annoying and slow.

What did your lawyer do when the Tuesday commitment passed?

To:  GAL

Last week you told me that you would be making a recommendation regarding counseling.

When will you be submitting that recommendation?

Thank you,

Lawyer

Some attorneys are good at following up to keep things moving.  Some aren't.  You might have to be the lawyer's reminder.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest