Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 07:05:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the love we feel, what is it?  (Read 493 times)
seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 03:24:43 PM »

I had read all of 2010's stuff, and it was good, but it didn't sufficiently explain the intensity/depth of feeling I had for my pwBPD. And while I know I had some N tendencies in dealing with my pwBPD, I am not NPD, and on test for it come out low of normal... .  which is pretty consistent with being a codependent/people pleaser... .  but still didn't explain the intensity.

The fact is - you bought it all - the idealization, the mirroring, the words... .  it was stronger for you than the actual logic and actions.  The intensity is because temporarily that "core wound" felt healed.  Once the temporary band-aid is ripped off, it is a bigger wound than what you started with.

Why?  Lonely, narcissism, childhood wounds, codependency, addiction, emotionally immature - that is something for you and your therapist to figure out.

The reality is if we stayed in these relationships a significant amount of time - we overlooked logic and chose to believe the words that were said because that FELT better.  It FELT better (more intense) because it was simply a numbing agent on our core wounds.

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack
gina louise

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married a few years

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »

thanks for this discussion Everyone-

The reality is if we stayed in these relationships a significant amount of time - we overlooked logic and chose to believe the words that were said because that FELT better.  It FELT better (more intense) because it was simply a numbing agent on our core wounds.

SB-this really resonated with me.

it FELT better, but that didn't necessarily mean it WAS better than anything else. It not only numbed the core wound-it permitted us to function as if, albeit temporarily, we had NO core wound to begin with.

For me, that was crucial. It allowed me a greater, and perhaps false, sense of freedom than I had felt in other intimate r/s. I FELT I was able to be more My Authentic Self-and be accepted that way- than previously, and that was a relief.

Until the rug got yanked from under me, I lost my footing and the FOG came rolling in.

GL
charred

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »

I am not sure who needs to give it time... .  my god, it has been 30 yrs and is still intense... which is why I lean toward it being a faux primary attachment related issue, otherwise it should have been extinguished long ago... heck if I had just married her early on, probably would have been over and done in 18 months... .  but ... she still has an effect on me after all this time, and I could go on and on about all the nasty things she has done, the abuse/hatred... .  in the 4 yrs of actual time we spent together ... .  about 8 or 9 months was great, about 4 months was okay... .  rest was new level of hell that Dante missed... .  the BPD r/s level. I am thankful we didn't marry or have kids.

Didn't want to hijack the discussion, just fixated on the intensity... .  and how long the duration was... .  I have been infatuated with women and had it burn out in 6 mos or less before... and then there was nothing, I mean zero. Dated nicer women, some that were more motherly, a few were mothers... and the r/s were all normal, no psycho-drama. I may be blind to some of the other causes of the intensity, as they seem less real. I know there were red flags to the r/s and I heard what I wanted to and chose to believe things that rationally ... .  didn't make sense. I have paid a dear price for it.

I do think many of us that had troubled childhoods (which is about everyone really)... dream of meeting their true love, having kids and spending an idyllic life growing old together. I had that in mind... .  and probably had blinders on to the truth... .  but still, something made it strong and long lasting... .  why would it not be attachment related? (Other than not wanting it to be as it sounds so icky)
Truth in Ruin

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:21 PM »

The Dude is right.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest