Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 07:04:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some of the things that happened to me...  (Read 363 times)
Ippolito69

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 26, 2013, 05:55:44 AM »

are these the behaviors of a BPD.

1) My ex-girlfriend, after 6 months of dating, started complaining about the sound of my voice and insisted I get checked out at an ENT and/or get voice therapy. She told me my voice triggered her and she hated listening to it.

2) My ex-girlfriend would abuse herself during a fight or disagreement by cutting and beating up on her face and stomach.

3) She would start to cry almost instantly when we fought, negating any feeling I was having and turning it around into being about her feelings. Sometimes, the only way through an incident like this, was for me to sit there and tell her I was sorry over and over again, and I had to use the exact words she needed me to say, or she could not forgive me.

4) She would escalate from 0 to 100 in no time flat, start yelling or screaming, calling me names, telling me it's over, insisting I leave (and then running after me when I attempted to) and physically attacking me: punching, kicking, scratching and coking.

5) She accused me of being an "abuser," and blamed me for her reactions during the fights, telling me if I didn't trigger her, she would not have acted this way.

6) She would break things around me when angry.

7) She refused to talk about certain topics, and if I tried to discuss them, would trigger very quickly.

8) She was highly critical of me: the way I talked, how I interacted with others in groups, etc/.

9) She would go on and on about how in demand she was, and how many people wanted a piece of her.

Rose Tiger

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:10:17 AM »

Hi Ippolito69

Welcome

The intense emotions and emotional immaturity are traits of BPD.  Sounds like you have been through the wringer.    Are you in NC (no contact) with your ex-girlfriend?
MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:17:56 AM »

Yes, this sounds like symptoms of BPD, and are very unhealthy no matter what the clinical dx might be. Healthy people aren't so drastically triggered by everyday relating / intimacy. I hope you are getting a lot of support and taking care of yourself, it's shocking to see and be on the receiving end of these kinds of symptoms, and it's shocking to realize this person is so ill. It will be important to focus on your own healing.

Ippolito69

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »

I am in touch with her via email right now. We have emailed a few times, and at the very least agreed, to keep the tone of things friendly and only supportive. So far, we have both maintained that. However, she has the ability to flip the switch very easily. For example, a week ago we were talking on the phone. She wavered back and forth throughout this conversation from calm, to irrate, to calm again and then escalating. In the course of one conversation, she would tell me she loves me and the next minute telling me I am an ass and she never wants to see me again... .  she even said she has fallen out of love with me. What I did find helpful was gentle saying, "quite voice," to her when she started escalating. I did my best to remain calm and collected because raising my voice usually results in her escalating more and/or on rare occassions calms her, but one never knows. When I said, "quite voice," she would stop for a second or so, and agree, and at least attempt to take it down a notch or two. During this one conversation, for example, I had to say it at least 3 times, which can be exhausting. Currently, I am trying to take some space from things and--as of today--plan to not communicate with her for the next 3 or 4 days. I want to see what it will feel like to not speak with her. What feelings come up for me? How if feels to not "walk on eggshells." all the time? Etc.,?
GustheDog

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:01:13 AM »

are these the behaviors of a BPD.

Are they ever . . . .

1) My ex-girlfriend, after 6 months of dating, started complaining about the sound of my voice and insisted I get checked out at an ENT and/or get voice therapy. She told me my voice triggered her and she hated listening to it.

At about this point I was told to procure elective surgery to remedy my snoring.  She also told me the sleep-mask thingy (I don't know what they're called) I wore in bed "shut her out."  The mask disappeared at one point.  No one knows what happened to it.

3) She would start to cry almost instantly when we fought, negating any feeling I was having and turning it around into being about her feelings. Sometimes, the only way through an incident like this, was for me to sit there and tell her I was sorry over and over again, and I had to use the exact words she needed me to say, or she could not forgive me.

Classic.  I think my r/s lasted as long as it did because I was SOO good at buying into it actually being my fault.

The need for conflict is so high, but I never recognized it.  A frequent, "innocuous" example (and there were many, many not-so-innocuous examples) is: we are going out for the night.  I'm in a good mood; she's in a good mood.  Somehow, someway, she ends up in a bad mood.  I question.  This inevitably ends with her giving me an exasperated look and saying, "Come on, I just want to have a fun night, can't you just . . . ."

4) She would escalate from 0 to 100 in no time flat, start yelling or screaming, calling me names, telling me it's over,

Didn't see this until the end, but then I saw it constantly.

5) She accused me of being an "abuser," and blamed me for her reactions during the fights, telling me if I didn't trigger her, she would not have acted this way.

Yep.  I'm still an abuser.  This is how the new guy has been/will be reeled in.

7) She refused to talk about certain topics, and if I tried to discuss them, would trigger very quickly.

Yep.  Complete, utter inability to discuss *anything* significant.  The off-limits topics gradually increased until she could not speak to me at all.

8) She was highly critical of me: the way I talked, how I interacted with others in groups, etc/.

Highly critical barely scratches the surface.  Every bit of you is now a BPD trigger, down to the cellular level.

9) She would go on and on about how in demand she was, and how many people wanted a piece of her.

My ex's words: "Men love me."

For example, a week ago we were talking on the phone. She wavered back and forth throughout this conversation from calm, to irrate, to calm again and then escalating. In the course of one conversation, she would tell me she loves me and the next minute telling me I am an ass and she never wants to see me again... .  she even said she has fallen out of love with me.

It's very disturbing to experience, isn't it?  Not only is it hurtful to you to hear her saying all the horrible things, but it's also painful to see someone you care about exhibit this bizarre, twisted behavior.  Sometimes, mid-conversation, she'd go from sweet to hateful and, unable to take anymore, it'd be as though a circuit shorted out in her head and she'd go blank/empty into a zombie-like dissociative state.  No one home.

willy45
Formerly "johnnyorganic", "rjh45", "SurferDude"

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 12:02:31 AM »

Dude,

Be careful. My ex didn't do the physical stuff you are talking about (which sounds awful by the way) but word for word everything else you described here. Even post breakup. Exact same conversations. She would flip from loving and telling me I am the greatest thing in the world to my being an ___hole, jerk, etc... .  in the matter of minutes. Back and forth.

My advice to you is to be EXTREMELY careful. This went on off and on for about 4 months after the breakup. It got to the point that I was feeling suicidal. And then I saw her last month and it almost destroyed my entire life.

Be very, very, very cautious. What I have just realized is the amount of psychological damage that this woman has caused me. What she is doing is using you and abusing you. She doesn't love you. If she loved you, she would leave you alone and let you heal. What is happening now is she is acting out all her craziness in more real time than before. This will beat you down.

I was pretty happy after the break up. Felt relief. She kept coming after me. And I would continually give in. She would continue to break me down. Build me up. Break me down. Build me up.

You know she is completely unstable, unhealthy and abusive. She abused you before. And she is abusing you now. This is not your fault. But, you do have a choice.

For me, I had to go NC. And now I am dealing with an incredible amount of psychological fall out. The wounds aren't visible, but they run incredibly deeply. The psychological wounds are really hard to heal but you can't see them as they happen. It takes some time and some space to realize what has happened. Once you get that realization, it then takes time to heal and sort yourself out. The longer you stay in this abusive dynamic, the more work you will have to do later on.

Be careful. This woman sounds extremely dangerous.
willy45
Formerly "johnnyorganic", "rjh45", "SurferDude"

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 12:06:10 AM »

Oh... .  And listen to GusTheDog. Maybe the three of us should start a group. It sounds like we all dated the same woman.
GustheDog

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 12:11:18 AM »

Oh... .  And listen to GusTheDog. Maybe the three of us should start a group. It sounds like we all dated the same woman.

Dude, we're already members of the group - it's called bpdfamily.com.  As 2010 wrote:

"They will refuse to take your calls and avoid you at all cost. Should you manage to catch up with them - they will act as though nothing is wrong and you are the problem. It is choreography.

When you separate yourself from the mix and look back at it- you will notice the previous partners and subsequent partners all got and will get the same treatment. It is a dis(order) that is a misnomer. It is actually an orderly thing, a pattern. Put the individual interactions together and see the result. No one wins. This is a key piece of evidence that cannot be denied. It also singles out the end of hope. It is a persistent trait."
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest