Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 03:53:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with anxiety  (Read 341 times)
glacier_glider
AKA "Uncomfortably Numb"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 27, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »

I've read hundreds of topics on this forum but haven't come across anything related to anti-anxiety medications.

Most of us go through enormous non-stop anxiety attacks.

I went to see a doctor and got something prescribed.

It took several weeks before it started to work, but it does work!

It will not stop the thoughts that originally cause anxiety but it will stop the horrible burning reaction to these thoughts.

By no means this is a permanent solution.

But when anxiety becomes unbearable and in these situations it does, medication helps.

It has to be taken on a regular basis under doctor's supervision.
free and happy

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »

I had been on and off meds prior to making a decision to move out and file for divorce. So I prepared myself for the upcoming anxiety attacks that I was sure to encounter by getting back on the meds. I have to tell you they evened me out. I have not had any anxiety attacks at all. I also told my Psych what I was planning to do, move out and divorce, in advance so she could monitor my progress. So far so good. Dont think I could focus and stay as calm as I have been in the last month without them.
glacier_glider
AKA "Uncomfortably Numb"

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »

Same here, Bro! They've been saving me.

At some point I was going to do what you did - prepare for the upcoming crisis in advance and get them prescribed because I am prone to anxiety (especially during break-ups). But I didn't.

So I suffered through about 4 weeks while they were building up in my system.
mango_flower

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »

Oh I so hear you!  I got to the point where I was pacing constantly, couldn't eat... .  my friends at work had to take me out to walk round the building at lunchtime.  I lost about 14lbs in weight.

It's been 3.5 months now and I feel less anxious (thank goodness!) so keep taking it day at a time.

What are your triggers for the anxiety? Is it ongoing, or just when you deal with her? (mine is now just when I deal with her).

I found that over the counter sleeping pills worked nicely for me to at least sleep, not that I'd recommend relying on meds.  I did wake up every hour though! But better than no sleep.

xxx

glacier_glider
AKA "Uncomfortably Numb"

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »

Right after the first break-up in September I lost 18 lbs in two weeks, about 10% of my weight.

Every phone conversation, text message, e-mail, almost every thought of her triggered a horrible anxiety attack.

I smoked two packs of American Spirit every day.

During those anxiety attacks my face turned so red that my co-workers kept asking me whether I was getting sick.

Many people actually asked me if I was on a diet because they could see how I was dropping pounds.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

At that point I went and got two things prescribed:

1) Helped to reduce anxiety, get some sleep, get appetite (started working immediately)

2) Long-term med for CAD (anxiety)

jp77

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »

Another vote in favor of medication. I was suffering horrible anxiety and panic attacks, and also lost tons of weight, probably due to the combination of overwhelming stress as well as health issues with my stomach. I took a while to decide to start taking medication, since I was anxious about trying it, but overall it's been a great help. It helped me to sleep more soundly, and my moods have gotten more even and less panicked.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest