Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 11:53:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conflict and Resolution  (Read 393 times)
willy45
Formerly "johnnyorganic", "rjh45", "SurferDude"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 02, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »

I'm not sure why I'm posting this... .  I guess just to get some ideas out there... .  

I keep getting stuck on the idea that I didn't try hard enough. I didn't fully commit to her. I didn't fully commit to the relationship and everyone in my life tells me she was abusive (including you guys... .  ) but I still have a hard time believing it or accepting the label of abuse. I still feel like it is my fault.

Relationships take work. That much I know from being in other relationships. And maybe this was one of my sticking points, I worked too much at something that I knew to be really bad for me.

But the idea of conflict and resolution keeps coming back. I think that the measure of a healthy relationship is how well partners can work through conflict and come up with resolution. My ex would blow up at me and yell and scream and rage. We were long-distance, so normally I would just get out of town, literally. This, she claimed, was the reason she would have her rage outbursts. I would claim that it was the opposite. That I would leave because she was raging at me (what you all are trying to convince me was abuse). She said that couples have conflict and that we didn't spend enough time together to resolve any conflicts. I think that the conflicts were never resolvable because they weren't actually conflicts. They were her yelling at me for something or another and then me yelling back. They weren't really conflicts because there was nothing to have conflicts over. I would pet a dog, wake up groggy, roll over in my sleep, etc... .  

I think that maybe what I am struggling with is this idea that relationships take work and relationships will have conflict. But how a couple deals with conflict is the indicator of success. For me, resolving conflicts means sitting down with someone, discussing the conflict, being empathetic for each other, and coming up with a compromise. And, that compromise is something that is good for both people. If a compromise can't be determined, then, if the conflict is big enough to be a deal breaker, then the relationship is over.

I could never do this with my ex. I tried. I tried many, many times. I would try to sit down with her and tell her what was bothering me. Like, she used to always tell me 'why can't you be nice to me'. I remember sitting down with her calmly and trying to explain to her why that made me feel really bad because it essentially implied that I wasn't nice to her. This would turn into a raging, screaming fit. And this was the pattern.

I remember one of the last fights we had, we were supposed to go on a bike ride. I invited her because I thought it would be nice. She agreed. But she wanted to take a ride where we would end up having to take the metro back. I didn't like taking my bike on the metro so I said no, I would rather just go for a bike ride like we decided. She kept asking me why. I kept telling her it made me feel awkward because the bikes were clumsy and always falling over people. She kept asking my why I didn't like that. I kept telling her. She asked me 5 or 6 times over and over again. I kept telling her the same thing until I got fed up and said: 'Listen, I just don't want to and that should be enough. I don't have to justify it. I asked you on a bike ride. I don't care where we go. I just don't want to take the bikes on the metro'. She freaked out. I met her downtown to go for the bike ride and she was balling her eyes out and then started yelling at me in front of all these tourists.

Anyhow, to make a long story short. I remember her telling me that people have conflicts and that this was normal. I remember telling her that yes, conflicts are normal, but resolving conflicts doesn't mean that someone wins and someone looses. It is about coming up with a compromise that both people are happy with. She didn't really seem to get it. Instead, we biked to a park off a highway where she sat and cried uncontrollably for 45 minutes.

Am I wrong to think this? I think that relationships require communication and talking through conflicts and compromising. She was just not capable of doing this. It was always a huge power struggle until either I gave up and she got her way, or she seemed to give up and then would sulk and get angry with me if I wasn't happy when I got my way (I usually wasn't happy because we had a huge fight and she was sulking). I ended it and never committed to her because I didn't think she was actually capable of resolving conflict. Conflicts were just brushed under the carpet. Nothing was ever resolved. It was just forgotten.

But I am haunted... .  If I had moved to be in the same town as her, would we have been able to come up with a way to resolve conflict? Did we not come up with a way to resolve conflict because I didn't commit to her? Because I didn't spend enough time with her? I made the choice that she just wasn't capable... .  that it had nothing to do with our relationship but that she didn't have the capacity. I just didn't understand why she would blow up the way she did. I felt like I was walking around on eggshells (even before I heard of BPD I would tell her those exact words). I felt like things were just going to explode at any moment, even when things were good. And any attempt I made to resolve conflicts just resulted in way, way more conflict. They would always (except for once or twice) result in insane rages and screaming matches. And I got hooked into it to. I would participate in the yelling and raging. It got to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore.

Arg. This is so hard. I think I was in love with a fantasy and I kept getting so angry when confronted with the reality of who this person was... .  a person incapable of true empathy, a person without any form of emotional intelligence, a sweet and kind and loving person on the outside but a raging, hateful, angry and needy person on the inside. This is so hard to reconcile. And the fact that she always blamed me and manipulated me continues to make me feel like I messed up, like I made all these mistakes and that if I had just tried hard enough, everything would be amazing. Arg.
Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:55:15 PM »

I keep getting stuck on the idea that I didn't try hard enough. I didn't fully commit to her. I didn't fully commit to the relationship and everyone in my life tells me she was abusive (including you guys... .  ) but I still have a hard time believing it or accepting the label of abuse. I still feel like it is my fault.

Many of us, me included had this very same thought johnnyorganic. Why do you believe it was your fault? Where does that come from?

Is it not the other persons responsibility to handle their side of the fence and you look after yours – why is it you blame yourself?  Dig deep.

Relationships take work. That much I know from being in other relationships. And maybe this was one of my sticking points, I worked too much at something that I knew to be really bad for me.

Bingo! Why?

But the idea of conflict and resolution keeps coming back. I think that the measure of a healthy relationship is how well partners can work through conflict and come up with resolution. My ex would blow up at me and yell and scream and rage. We were long-distance, so normally I would just get out of town, literally. This, she claimed, was the reason she would have her rage outbursts. I would claim that it was the opposite. That I would leave because she was raging at me (what you all are trying to convince me was abuse). She said that couples have conflict and that we didn't spend enough time together to resolve any conflicts. I think that the conflicts were never resolvable because they weren't actually conflicts. They were her yelling at me for something or another and then me yelling back. They weren't really conflicts because there was nothing to have conflicts over. I would pet a dog, wake up groggy, roll over in my sleep, etc... .  

I agree, how couples handle conflict is a tell tale sign of the health of the r/s. Conflict arises from each partner attempting to make the other wrong and them right – it is a battle of ego’s rather than the ability to consider and respect the others point of view and coming to a solution. Solutions never happen because they are so caught up in the conflict cycle of wrong/right.

The fact she would rage shows she has very poor coping skills rjh – she is not capable of managing conflict. Raging is abusive.

I think that maybe what I am struggling with is this idea that relationships take work and relationships will have conflict. But how a couple deals with conflict is the indicator of success. For me, resolving conflicts means sitting down with someone, discussing the conflict, being empathetic for each other, and coming up with a compromise. And, that compromise is something that is good for both people. If a compromise can't be determined, then, if the conflict is big enough to be a deal breaker, then the relationship is over.

I could never do this with my ex. I tried. I tried many, many times. I would try to sit down with her and tell her what was bothering me. Like, she used to always tell me 'why can't you be nice to me'. I remember sitting down with her calmly and trying to explain to her why that made me feel really bad because it essentially implied that I wasn't nice to her. This would turn into a raging, screaming fit. And this was the pattern.

It was conflict cycle rjh where she would make you out to be the persecutor for her feeling so woeful about herself. She felt like the victim and wanted to be rescued. You cannot rescue her.

Reminding ourselves that BPD also means an unstable sense of self, unstable relating to the others and impulsive – instead conflict turns into a circular argument and nothing gets resolved.

You did the right thing by leaving when she rages. There is little you can do or communicated during a rage.

She rages to self soothe – not your fault.

If I had moved to be in the same town as her, would we have been able to come up with a way to resolve conflict? Did we not come up with a way to resolve conflict because I didn't commit to her? Because I didn't spend enough time with her?

Not at all! Long-distance keeps you at a safe distance – long distance is very common in BPD r/s.

Borderlines fear abandonment, intimacy and engulfment – if you had been living closer do you think this would help her fear of intimacy and engulfment?

I made the choice that she just wasn't capable... .  that it had nothing to do with our relationship but that she didn't have the capacity.

Yes you would be right.

Arg. This is so hard. I think I was in love with a fantasy and I kept getting so angry when confronted with the reality of who this person was... .  a person incapable of true empathy, a person without any form of emotional intelligence, a sweet and kind and loving person on the outside but a raging, hateful, angry and needy person on the inside. This is so hard to reconcile. And the fact that she always blamed me and manipulated me continues to make me feel like I messed up, like I made all these mistakes and that if I had just tried hard enough, everything would be amazing. Arg.

What does love mean to you fjh?

What does friendship mean to you?

What is it in you that thought you could save this person at the expense of saving yourself?

Why is it you blame yourself - where does that come from?

mango_flower

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »

A few random thoughts Smiling (click to insert in post)

1) You're not super human.  None of us are.  Your needs are as important and sounds like she didn't put in her 50%.

2) Regardless of whether it could have/would have/should have worked, is this what you want for your future?  To have to constantly go with what the other person wants, 100% of the time, to avoid conflict? You deserve better. You deserve equal.

I am still struggling with the same things as you though, so take my ramblings with a pinch of salt Smiling (click to insert in post) x

willy45

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »

Hi All,

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.

I guess for me, the bottom line was always about whether or not we could resolve conflicts. The first night I hid under the bed from her during one of her late night rages, I vowed to get out. I didn't. The second time it happened, I vowed again. I didn't. The third time it happened, I told her to F off and left town. I broke up with her a few weeks after that.

I guess what screws with my head is that she always blamed me or our 'situation' (code for me). I guess there will always be that lingering doubt in my mind that maybe she was right. Maybe if I did move in with her, move cities, change my job, get rid of my car, get rid of my apartment, that maybe it would have worked. Maybe she would have stopped raging at me. But deep down, I didn't believe it. I guess I kept trying to make her see my side of things. I didn't want to change my entire life around someone who thinks it is OK to rage at someone in the middle of the night for rolling over or going to the bathroom, let alone during the day for the million and one things I never did right.

You are right. That isn't love.
Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:33:52 AM »

I guess what screws with my head is that she always blamed me or our 'situation' (code for me). I guess there will always be that lingering doubt in my mind that maybe she was right. Maybe if I did move in with her, move cities, change my job, get rid of my car, get rid of my apartment, that maybe it would have worked. Maybe she would have stopped raging at me. But deep down, I didn't believe it. I guess I kept trying to make her see my side of things. I didn't want to change my entire life around someone who thinks it is OK to rage at someone in the middle of the night for rolling over or going to the bathroom, let alone during the day for the million and one things I never did right.

You are right. That isn't love.

You may have wanted to believe it.

The accusations and blame were aimed to relieve the pressure of herself - she is responsible for how she handles/balances her emotions - or doesn't for that matter.

Can you ever imagine raging at someone?

If it wasn't her that raged, would you accept that treatment from another person? Someone at work maybe?

What would tell a friend if they told the same story.

There is a reason why we believe we are to blame, that we didn't do enough to save them and the relationship - the answer lies within you johnnyorganic not her.

willy45

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:50:46 AM »

Yes. Excellent point.

And no. I would never rage at her. Ever. I would get really angry at some points after she would rage at me. And I would scream back. Hoping that using a louder voice that it would somehow sink in that I wasn't going to marry her and move in with her as long as she continued to rage at me and cry and yell at me for no real reason. She would always tell me it was because I wasn't committed to her. But I never really believed that. I guess deep down, that is a core value of mine... .  to treat people with respect and dignity. And what she was showing me as not respectful. Yelling at me if I didn't sleep on a blow-up mattress on the floor wasn't very respectful. Or worse, guilting me into sleeping on blow-up mattress because she 'chose to sleep on it' for three night prior isn't very respectful. Everything was my fault, even her crazy sleeping disorder. She would wear ear plugs at night because any noise would wake her up and send her into a fit of rage. She must have had super sonic hearing or something. If I even tippy toed around to go the bathroom and take 5 minutes opening the door so that it wouldn't make a sound, she would still hear me and she would still go haywire.

I'm venting... .  Sorry.

But your point is very well taken. I would never, ever rage at anyone. I only raged at her once. And that was the last day I saw her. And that wasn't even rage. I just told her to F off after she was yelling at me at 3am for being an '___hole' because I couldn't sleep on the blow up mattress while she slept on our $2500 bed. It was 80 degrees in the room and my body was sticking to the rubber of the mattress it was so hot. I tried to sneak into the bed and she flipped out. That is the only time I ever really lost my cool. But really, I don't regret anything that I said. In fact, I should have told her to F off years and years and years ago.

You are right. That kind of behavior is not respectful. And it really would have been disrespectful of me to stay.

Thank you... .  
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest