Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 09:02:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sorta tired of examining myself  (Read 374 times)
drv3006

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 04, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »

Hi all.  I don't post on here much, but I do lurk around.  I was doing well with NC for three months till he called on Valentines Day.    I listened to him for two weeks.  Everything that came out of his mouth was the same.  Singing the Me Me me song.   And I am in this 12 step program which tells me to have love and tolerance and to see what my part is.  Well, I blew up after two weeks of listening to him talk about his problems and screamed "I've been listening to you for two weeks!"  and hung up on him.   Immature I know.   But it drives me nuts the things he says are soo weird.   I asked him what he wanted from me and he said "to be available"   I hadn't heard from him for three months.   That really bothered me.    I really don't want to hear from him any more, but I have this 12 step program where I look to see what my part is.  I always seem to come up with something.  Like talking to him in the first place or slamming down the phone or something where I feel like I need to make some amends.   NC is the best.   I did it this morning, telling him its probrably me.   I don't know,  I can see my parts.  And I am tired of examining me because he has a problem.  I need to accept that maybe he just can't see it.   It is so hard -- acceptance that is.   I just need to accept that we just cannot do this.   What is i hard for me is I keep blaming myself.   I can always find something that I did that could cause the problem.  Which in turn lets him off the hook and fills me with resentments later.   He makes me feel like a bad person.  And I doubt myself.   I am tired of doubting myself.   Is that bad?
OTH
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Single

It's not too late to make better choices

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »

Sometimes it is best to just take a step back. If you step out of the relationship things can get clear really fast. What is his will stay with him and what is yours will stay with you. Give yourself some space and just focus on you.

Hi all.  I don't post on here much, but I do lurk around.  I was doing well with NC for three months till he called on Valentines Day.    I listened to him for two weeks.  Everything that came out of his mouth was the same.  Singing the Me Me me song.   And I am in this 12 step program which tells me to have love and tolerance and to see what my part is.  Well, I blew up after two weeks of listening to him talk about his problems and screamed "I've been listening to you for two weeks!"  and hung up on him.   Immature I know.   But it drives me nuts the things he says are soo weird.   I asked him what he wanted from me and he said "to be available"   I hadn't heard from him for three months.   That really bothered me.    I really don't want to hear from him any more, but I have this 12 step program where I look to see what my part is.  I always seem to come up with something.  Like talking to him in the first place or slamming down the phone or something where I feel like I need to make some amends.   NC is the best.   I did it this morning, telling him its probrably me.   I don't know,  I can see my parts.  And I am tired of examining me because he has a problem.  I need to accept that maybe he just can't see it.   It is so hard -- acceptance that is.   I just need to accept that we just cannot do this.   What is i hard for me is I keep blaming myself.   I can always find something that I did that could cause the problem.  Which in turn lets him off the hook and fills me with resentments later.   He makes me feel like a bad person.  And I doubt myself.   I am tired of doubting myself.   Is that bad?

Mary Oliver:  Someone I loved gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift

MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »

Excerpt
I need to accept that maybe he just can't see it.   It is so hard -- acceptance that is.   I just need to accept that we just cannot do this.   What is i hard for me is I keep blaming myself.   I can always find something that I did that could cause the problem.  Which in turn lets him off the hook and fills me with resentments later.   He makes me feel like a bad person.  And I doubt myself.   I am tired of doubting myself.   Is that bad?

Oh boy... .  this sounds familiar.

So... .  no, you are not a bad person... .  and examining your stuff doesn't have to mean putting yourself through torture. Ouch!

Two weeks of bla bla bla... .  I've done that, too.  It sucks.  But, I did it. I should have stopped sooner, right?

Here are some idea shifts that might help.

It's not all your fault, never has been. You do not cause all the problems. No why?  Because you just are not all  that powerful.  Could you have done things differently? Sure, me too!  But... .  no matter what, you are not responsible for this person. His happiness. His unhappiness. Or his life.  There's only one person responsbile for that, and that is HIM.  Not you.  Period.

And, he is not repsonbile for your happiness. Or unhappiness.  He's not THAT powerful, either.

So, chat if you want to chat, then stop when you need to and you have had enough.

Or go NC again if you need to.

Make amends, but don't give a pound of flesh... .  there's no need. You are not that powerful.

Listening to someone verbally vomit would become insufferable to ANYONE after two weeks. It won't fix him or make him better or change him, anyway. My experience is that more verbal vomit just begets more verbal vomit.

He has to do that for himself, by taking care of himself, and the same is true of you.  You can practice having love and acceptance of him as he is... .  AND do this with whatever distance you need... .  AND do this while taking care of YOU as your top priority.  

drv3006

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:50:14 PM »

Excerpt
IHere are some idea shifts that might help.

It's not all your fault, never has been. You do not cause all the problems. No why?  Because you just are not all  that powerful.

Ha and there it is. Not that powerful!  Its strange, I don't look at it as being powerful, but it is true.    I just need to chill.   Thanks but I know I will probably try to take the control back and feel stupid all over again.  I replay the movie sometimes in my head.   I have to try not to entertain, these thoughts. 
MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:57:58 PM »

Excerpt
I have to try not to entertain, these thoughts.

Me too. Old habits run deep.

blecker

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »

Even National Parks have boundaries and they are good for you too. Keep you out of the swamp, the sulfer and the jaws of who knows what.

What is wrong with just saying no?

I mean it is a simple two letter word. No.

I will not listen to this garbage any more and work on myself without the distractions a mentally ill person will certainly give me.

No.
catsprt

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 06:27:01 PM »

Tired of examining yourself... .  Then don't do it! What do we have in common here? We analyze, scrutinize, observe, theorize and analyze. Do we have to keep compensating for those who never did? Take a break, give yourself the gift of living in the moment, give the gift of your presence to other and yourself! Chances are you will be amazing!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest