Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 02:28:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recommended books on BPD  (Read 503 times)
healingmyheart

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 06, 2013, 07:49:20 AM »

What books would you suggest to further my knowledge on BPD?  I've already read walking on eggshells.  I'm looking for something that will help me further understand the pathological nature of the disorder and maybe even offer some insight into why i was drawn to this type of person. 

Thanks in advance
LoveNotWar

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:57:12 AM »

"High Conflict Couple" by Fruzetti. Gives some good strategies for communicating and avoiding blow ups.

If you are experiencing verbal and/or physical abuse " Why Does He DO That" by Bancroft. This is written mostly regarding male abusers however the lessons about an abuser needing power and control  are good and universal.

Hope this helps get you started... .  

LNW
healingmyheart

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:02:29 AM »

LoveNotWar,

Thank you so very much! I'll check them out... .  any other suggestions?  I see to be obsessed with BPD right now and can't get enough info.
refuge

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:36:06 AM »

I'd have to say Alice in Wonderland is at the top of my list when it comes to seeing what a personality/dissociative disorder really looks like.

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.

The Cat: Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Alice: How do you know I'm mad?

The Cat: You must be. Or you wouldn't have come here.

Alice: And how do you know that you're mad?

The Cat: To begin with, a dog's not mad. You grant that?

Alice: I suppose so,

The Cat: Well, then, you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad.

Leaf

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:41:28 AM »

Hi Stolemysoul, Before I broke up with my BPDbf I found 'The essential family guide to BPD' by Randi Kreger extremely useful, especially some stuff about abuse and Stockholm syndrome. But Kreger is the co-author of 'Stop walking on eggshells', which I haven't read, so the contents might overlap.

I also read 'Loving someone with BPD' but I thought that would be more relevant to low functioning people with BPD. Also suicide was mentioned a lot and my ex wasn't the suicidal type.

Because like your ex my ex is BPD (w/NPD traits) I've just ordered 'Narcissistic Lovers: How to Cope, Recover and Move on' by Cynthia Zayn. I like the title but I haven't read it yet.

In order not to make the same mistake again I found 'Mars and Venus on a date' very useful. I had some prejudice against that Mars and Venus stuff and I've never read the original bestseller, but a senior on this board advised it so it had to be good  Smiling (click to insert in post) and it was.

healingmyheart

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:43:52 AM »

Thank you Leaf!  Let me know how you like Narcissistic Lovers and if you would recommend it.  I'll check it out too... .  really appreciate your advise.
recoil

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:58:21 AM »

I know what you mean about becoming obsessed with reading books about BPD.  Here are some that I have read over the past seven months:

Feeling Good - The New Mood Therapy [This is for myself; I like this book a lot.]

The Seven Levels of Intimacy [Showed me why a relationship with my EX would never truly work, as she was scared of intimacy.]

Let Go Now - Embracing Detachment

Codependent No More

The Practicing Mind

High-Conflict Couple

I Hate You - Don't Leave Me.

Stop Walking on Eggshells

The White Knight Syndrome

Understanding the Borderline Mother [Love, love this book.]

The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath (Decided to read the journals of someone who was BPD and a good writer -- sort of an "inside look" if you will).

For Your Own Good

SarahinMA

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:22:05 AM »

I'm sure some of these will be repeats from earlier posts:

I Hate You- Don't Leave Me: interesting, but my ex didn't rage a lot; more internal raging.

When He's Married to Mom: I found this one super interesting.  My ex was totally enmeshed with his mother before we met.  She still called him at least once a day. 

He's Scared, She's Scared: This was more for my own benefit- helping me figure out my pattern in choosing emotionally unavailable men. 

The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: dealing with my detachment and my struggles after the breakup

Living with the Passive Aggressive Man

Emotional Unavailability

slimmiller

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »

Some have been recomended that I have not read so cant comment on those. The ones on top of my list is of 'Walking on Eggshells' and my latest and one of the most informative is 'the borderline mother'  Its pricey but worth it. It not only helps me to understand the condition itself but also what makes them so to speak. I now clearly see her mother as BPD with slight NPD. Also it helps me to understand how to better deal with/protect my own children and hope and pray to God I can at least somewhat protect them from her.

I am not trying to make her out to be a monster but she is sick and does not function in the normative sense. I think its important to understand the illness in the formative years
healingmyheart

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »

Btw, my counselor said she's heard of a book from a client called "A Wolf in Sheeps Clothing"... .  she's not read it yet but does anyone know anything about it or read it? 
LoveNotWar

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »

Oh wait... .  here's a GOOD one to understand the mind of a person with BPD.

"Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder" by Rachel Reiland

This BPD recovered, which isn't always the case, but it gives insight on the thought process for pw/BPD.

healingmyheart

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 07:09:14 PM »

Thank you all!  Guess I've got some reading to do.  I wonder how long it is healthy to obsess about BPD especially after the partner is gone... .  well, almost gone.  At some point, I've got to let go and live but I'm still searching for validation and just answers.
DreamGirl
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 12:06:38 PM »

Excellent suggestions! (My first book was SWOE as well)

I have to admit that I am not very good at reading books the whole way thru.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

I wanted to suggest other reading material, not just books, that are included in this list:

Suggested Reading

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

stevenq

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 01:41:15 PM »

i read it. it was helpful.
real lady

Relationship status: Living together, engaged but had been VERY ROCKY from Nov. 2011 to August 2012...evening out now...I am in counseling!!

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 05:49:53 AM »

I think I have nearly read EVERY one that has been written... .  of course, Randi's "Walking on Eggshells" is a ground breaker for BPD but I found one that "spoke to me more directly" about my person with BPD and how to "handle" myself and situation.

Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder by Valerie Poor... .  I highly recommend it.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest