Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 07:23:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-parenting Ourselves  (Read 360 times)
bb12

« on: March 06, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »

So when we have an invalidating childhood and have to 'read the room' and keep the peace, we can develop codependent relational dynamics.

We feel we earn love - we have to do to be loved, instead of just be

And the reading indicates that we are then drawn to people who reinforce the dynamic we experienced in childhood. We choose the wounded birds so we can fix and rescue and feel needed... .  we take our cues from others instead of ourselves - our self-esteem being so low that we need to choose people who don't look like being able to leave.

The pain we feel at being discarded or abandoned is so immense, only because we believe we have had our unlovability confirmed!

A pwBPD can emotionally withdraw so quickly that our minds can't quite comprehend it... .  after all, we have been working our butts off to make sure we feel secure and confident that what we are doing is producing the right effect.

My question then is this: is there a quick way to unlearn these codependent behaviours? A quick way to build self-esteem?

If this only hurts so much because we accept what it is saying (you are worthless) as true, then is there a quick way to counter that belief and not feel so hurt?

bb12 Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
mosaicbird

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 05:25:53 PM »

A quick way? I don't think so... .  

If you haven't already, I would suggest reading Reinventing Your Life as an aid to help you track down the childhood beliefs and schemas that might have been triggered by the pwBPD in your life. (I've been reading the clinically focused schema therapy books as well.)

There are some therapeutic models that involve "limited re-parenting", with the therapist intended to model healthy adult behavior, but obviously it requires a great deal of trust to become involved in that sort of therapeutic relationship.

Clearmind
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »

Very succinctly put bb!

Another carry over from childhood is my need to get it fast – it’s a process and it can take some time to re-parent.

Our belief systems as adults are developed from childhood and early childhood. Many of these belief systems, derived from BPD parents are not want we want to carry into our adult life. Its great you are looking at ways to re-learn.

Do you know how it feels to be triggered? – Can you provide an example of the situation and how it felt in your body?

There is a 3 P’s exercise – permission, prescription and prohibition which helped me to see where my beliefs came from. It can take some time to do.

bb12

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 05:57:10 PM »

thanks mosaicbird. I just ordered it on Amazon

Clearmind... .  an example of when I can feel triggered is easy: if I think of the silent treatment I have endured at the hands of my exBPD I can feel deeply shamed. It feel it as an emptiness in my chest with a slight lump in my throat and a hot flush. I have learned not to dwell on this sensation over the past 12 months. If I really let myself waddle in it, I can feel it as strongly as the day I realised this person was not going to return my calls.

How does PPP work?

BB12
Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:55:20 PM »

Silent treatment is really hard bb12 – I internalized it and blamed myself for what I did or didn’t do. I lost my personal power and put the decision in his hands. This is all so reminiscent of my childhood. I always felt like I had no power and felt very unprotected. I saw my ex as a protector – even though he couldn’t provide it.

We need to find ways to protect ourselves and not base our personal worth on whether or not they call. This threw me into my faulty belief system of “not being good enough, being worthless, useless” – this of course is not true – I realize this now – at the time it floored me.

Its really helpful to look at how you would handle a situation like this with your new found knowledge – at the first sign of silent treatment or abuse, of any nature – I would walk – I wouldn’t wait for a round 2 or 3 – I value my worth way too much to give anyone my power.

_____

It will be so helpful to you that you know when you are triggered – this for me was 90% of the battle. Your bodies defence system, or protection mechanism will fly into fight or flight when triggered – this is that warm feeling or hot flush we feel – I also can feel it in my belly and heart sometimes.

How we process those triggers, when felt, is the other 5% of the battle. It helps at this point to pause to find where the feeling sits, begin to talk yourself through the emotion – it’s a valid emotion bb12 and you have every right to feel it – we can however process it in a way where it does not provide a deafening blow to our esteem, we negate the need to blame ourselves, we don’t feel the need to rescue. 

The other 5% is realizing why we feel triggered at the hands of someone else’s actions – when it’s not ours to own. This is where our faulty belief system kicks – that voice in our heads that telling us we are to blame, it’s all our fault, how dumb am I, I stuffed up, I am hopeless, useless and then fall into a depression slump. Its important we find ways to “manage” this inner critic and find work with those faulty beliefs.

Where these beliefs come from has much to do with the learnt behaviors, childhood conditioning learnt as a child. And like you, I am sure there were moments of dysfunction. These beliefs are carried into childhood – we are continuing to “act” in adult life based on those childhood emotions.

The 3 P’s exercise starts to pull apart, break down the permissions, prescriptions and prohibitions taken on from childhood – reminding ourselves that at that age we had little choice – we do now.

Permissions, Prescriptions and Prohibitions

There are other exercises too bb. Much of belief systems are self-defeating – we need to remind ourselves that we are now capable of protecting ourselves if threatened – unlike the feeling we had as children where many of us did not feel protected.

Often it’s the belief system that leads to twisted thinking – it’s the twisted thinking we need to work through:

Excerpt
“Ten Forms of Twisted Thinking”

adapted from David Burns: Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy book

1. All-or-nothing thinking (a.k.a. my brain and the Vatican’s): You look at things in absolute, black-and-white categories.

2. Overgeneralization (also a favorite): You view a negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat.

3. Mental filter: You dwell on the negatives and ignore the positives.

4. Discounting the positives: You insist that your accomplishments or positive qualities don’t count (my college diploma was stroke of luck…really, it was).

5. Jumping to conclusions (loves alcoholic families): You conclude things are bad without any definite evidence. These include mind-reading (assuming that people are reacting negatively to you) and fortune-telling (predicting that things will turn out badly).

6. Magnification or minimization: You blow things way out of proportion or you shrink their importance.

7. Emotional reasoning: You reason from how you feel: “I feel like an idiot, so I must be one.”

8. “Should” statements (every other word for me): You criticize yourself or other people with “shoulds,” “shouldn’ts,” “musts,” “oughts,” and “have-tos.”

9. Labeling: Instead of saying, “I made a mistake,” you tell yourself, “I’m a jerk” or “I’m a loser.”

10. Blame: You blame yourself for something you weren’t entirely responsible for, or you blame other people and overlook ways that you contributed to a problem.

Thought monitoring can also help – Thought Monitoring Record Sheet – there are plenty on the net – have a poke around.

Write down events that are triggering – use the thought monitoring form to work through what you would do now – I realize this is all in hindsight however what it does do is empower you – if the same were to happen you will be better equipped to protect yourself.

bb12

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »

Thank you so much Clearmind... .  not sure I have ever received a reply to one of my posts that has been so directly applicable and helpful

My self-esteem is recovering and I am sustaining the good periods for much longer now. Like you, I would not tolerate passive aggression again - especially knowing that any reaction only serves as supply to the abuser.

I am feeling very solid right now - very conscious and aware and happy. Just keen to address my twisted thinking and start protecting myself for the first time

My sincere thanks again

BB12
Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 07:35:01 PM »

You are welcome bb12 - I did a lot of work on triggers/faulty belief systems/twisted thinking - I still do daily. The difference now is what use to take 3 days to process a trigger - I can now do it in a matter of minutes.

I feel the trigger - Pause - Talk to myself about my emotions and acknoweldge how I'm feeling - find where in my childhood I was made to feel like that (3 P's) - comfort myself/remind myself I can protect myself - move through it ---> acceptance for what it is/the facts not what your mind/emotions are telling you how it is (this is twisted thinking)

You are in a good place bb if you are wanting to start processing this - good on you!

Practice, practice, practice  

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest