Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 07:13:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have some questions  (Read 390 times)
fakename

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 10, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »

Others can feel free to give their input as well but I was wondering

What are your thoughts on meditation over therapy for BPD?

Why do you think therapy is mandatory?

I seem to be navigating through my Road to recovery quite well relying on these boards and other productive practices on my own
Clearmind
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »

FN, do you mean mandatory for the Borderline or for us? I hope your answer is for both  Smiling (click to insert in post)

fakename

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »

well i was referring to BPD, but yeah thats a good point

why do you think its necessary for dealing with the break up and necessary for people with BPD to see improvement?

why dont you think someone can create their own regiment, support system and use things like meditation, self introspection and relevant readings to improve on their own?
TheDude

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »

why dont you think someone can create their own regiment, support system and use things like meditation, self introspection and relevant readings to improve on their own?

I'll answer your question with a question.

Why would anyone do any of those things if they don't even think they have a problem in the first place?
fakename

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 09:16:13 PM »

thedude,

from my end, i would do them because i know there is something wrong with me.

from my ex's end, she knows that all of her relationships have failed and she doesn't take initiative to improve herself.

the focus of the question i guess, is why does everyone say that it is necessary to see a therapist. i believe you can get better on your own
Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »

Fakename: Borderline behaviour e.g. raging, cutting, suicidal ideation, extreme moods, splitting, B&W thinking are all maladaptive coping skills caused as a direct result of childhood trauma. Its hard-wired, brain chemistry is hard-wired. This is way beyond you or I to resolve. Borderlines cannot independently process the trauma inflicted from childhood – we know this because their maladaptive coping skills, like those listed above, mask the pain.

We desperately tried to “manage” the behaviour and failed – we can never “manage” the behavior because the behavior is the symptom, not the cause. The cause occurred between the ages of 3-13 years old. It’s ingrained.

Detaching is realizing you could not cure your partner. Recovery is possible – mindfulness meditation/techniques are a part of Dialectical Behaviour Therapy or DBT (individual and group work) and the right meds (usually for mood swings/depression/anxiety). Not usually in isolation of one another.

Many of the DBT techniques are great for us too.

Why don’t you think someone can create their own regiment, support system and use things like meditation, self introspection and relevant readings to improve on their own?

For Borderlines: Introspection means to have conscious thoughts and feelings - Borderlines do not realize they do things they do – they don’t mean it. Being mindful also requires them to be present – much of the behavior lies in past trauma.

For us:

Our community here at bpdfamily is unique – we had a relationship with a Borderline. We arrive here at bpdfamily shattered beyond belief – does it happen to everyone? No! Then why us? Why you? Why me?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest