Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 10:34:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Yr. Anniversary of RTC Graduation  (Read 550 times)
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« on: March 17, 2013, 04:24:12 PM »

Hello friends,

I wanted to give an update on my dd16 on this most celebratory day.

She is doing well in school, passing all classes of her sophomore year in the public high school, no special accommodations.  She works below her potential, mostly due to her dislike of attending school at all.  She accepts that it is what she must do so there are no problems getting her to go, no battles of wills.  Much improvement there.  She has made a few new friends this year that she enjoys spending time with during and after school/weekends.  Most of her friends she has had for several years and continues to nurture those relationships.  In most all of these relationships she is the more mature one regarding interpersonal skills, life perspective, and emotional grounding... .  all skills she learned at Falcon Ridge.  

Her peers seem to all struggle with self image issues (it's the age combined with poor parenting skills at home).  There have been at least 3 different friends that have come to stay with us short term or overnights to escape stressors in their own homes... .  my dd16 assuring them that "my mom understands" and my dd16 has also requested that I speak with these moms to try to help them understand their daughters.  Only 1 mom ever called me for info.

In the "boy" departments, she has had 2 boyfriends that didn't last, the most recent exbf she broke up with.  She told me that he started talking mean to her and making fun of her for no apparent reason one evening at the teen hangout in town.  She told him to "get lost" and I never saw him again.  Yea for having good boundaries and not ignoring the  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post).  It was a short term set back emotionally for her... .  about 2 days and she was back to herself.  We didn't talk much about it... .  just validated that it must be painful and confusing for her.  She went 5 months without another love interest saying "I just need to be free from boy drama and spend time with my friends for a while" which she did.  Six months ago she started dating a young man who has major FOO issues and seems to suffer some anxiety.  He is a nice, quiet, polite boy.  dd16 is most definitely the leader in the r/s and holds him accountable for any thinking errors, low self image issues and r/s issues w/his younger brother.  She spends time at his house almost daily and  helps the grandmother cook, clean and babysit the nephew.  She is willing to do much more at the bf's house than at home and at the same time is learning about responsibilities.  We will take good lessons anyway they come.

dd16 just completed the online version of her driving school and has about 15 more actual driving hours before she can take her tests and get her license.  This will present a whole new set of issues to deal with regarding limits so that is something we will need to work out as we go.  All in all she is the average teen regarding pushing limits and respects my boundaries.  Much improvement there!  She earns money by working here at the ranch along side her boyfriend doing "ranch work" like hauling hay, repairing fences, feeding cows and working on equipment.  She hasn't earned an allowance in quite some time as she is not home during the daylight hours most days.

We have not attended therapy for over a year as it was causing many problems between us.  The supportive position of a therapist without the accountability for using her skills was undermining my authority with her... .  I have told her she can go back into therapy at anytime she feels she needs to.  She has remained on the same dosage of prozac and abilify since she was at Falcon Ridge until very recently.  Her pdoc cut the abilify in half.  We tried that for 3 weeks, I could tell that she was less emotionally stable and we discussed if the med decrease may be why.  She said "I hadn't thought of that so maybe".  We went back on the regular dosage and she has been good since.  She continues to be med compliant and still needs to be reminded to take them.

dd16 has continued to accept her previous dx of mdd, odd, emerging BPD.  She can relate to others who struggle with the thinking errors and emotionality that she struggled with and this gives her a unique perspective to be a help to others.  She is very compassionate and understanding.  She can still be very hard on herself sometimes.  Just this past Friday she locked the keys in the truck (we have no spare) along with her cell phone and laptop.  She came in saying ":)ad blamed it all on me".  She grabbed a screw driver to go punch out the lock.  I told her "no".  She was upset and said her phone and laptop were going to fry.  I told her "I know you are upset.  It isn't that hot today and we can get them out.  We will find a solution to this problem."  She went outside to be alone and calm down while we called a friend who has the means to open the door.  She came back in 10 minutes later and said "I am just so mad at myself for doing something so stupid".  I reassured her that it happens to all of us at least once in our lives and that it is not wise of us to have only 1 key and we need to get another key made.  The end.  No more mood, anger, self criticism.  Return to baseline 10 minutes.

dd16 spends most of her free time with her friends and boyfriend.  At home she likes to play on her xbox and do an occassional art project.  She is looking forward to getting her license and a summer job.  She plans to move back to the city after her graduation from high school and attend the community college to take some art classes and would also like to attend cosmotology school.  We purchased a 3 bedroom condo 3 blocks from the community college and there are several cosmotology schools in the general area.  The plan is for her to live there with a roommate until she finds her own path in life.

The future looks bright for my girl!

Thanks for reading.

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
mamachelle

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »

Hi lbj,

I have to say it is so so nice to hear the good news about your DD16. We don't get a lot of the stories of the resilience of these kids and their ability to make their way through the minefields of being a teenager.

She sounds an awful lot like my DD16 a Non-- (her Dad has BPD).  She has completed Driver Ed but I won't let her get her license until she has a B average.  Friends, cheerleading, and boyfriend have been waaay more important than grades I'm afraid.

Again, so nice to hear.

griz

Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:06:37 PM »

What a wonderful update and certainly something I wish I could write someday.  You have done such an unbelievable job so kudos go to all of you.  Your insight and advice here on the board is so wonderful and I thank you.  I hope you celebrate this day every day forever.

Griz
jellibeans

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:48:48 PM »

Thanks for posting... .  gives me hope and lets me dream a bit of a future for my dd15... .  she also is thinking of cosmetology ... .  thank you... .  you are such a good source of encouragement and stand as an example that things can go well for our children... .  thanks again
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 09:57:32 PM »

Lbj.     

Such growing and learning for all of you. Dh too. You inspire me to persevere in my striving to be a "therapeutic parent" for my girls.  Rtc was intense choice.

Driving. So many new challenges to our athoriy as parents for safety and our kids keeping their own boundaries.

Qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
peaceplease

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:22:16 PM »

lbj,

I love reading about the progress of your dd.    I admire all that you have done to help your dd.   I get goosebumps reading about your dd.  Thanks for sharing with the community here At BPD.    Thank you for sharing the whole journey with us. 

peaceplease
whiletheseasonspass

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 07:29:01 AM »

Dear lbj,

Sounds like your dd has come a huge distance since you first joined this board    Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)    I am happy for your dd   and for your family 

Just a thought- you dd seems so bright yet she says she doesn't like attending school.  I wonder if by junior year- your dd might like to take a course at a junior college if you have one more local than the one in the city-( I know you say it is in the plans already for when she graduates junior college - maybe cosmotology  and you have already bought the housing for her) but I am thinking of the present time- taking something that she loves next year. Like an art course perhaps? We know a couple of people whose children Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) this age did this and there was something special about it- that made them love learning AND they were already off to a start when it was time to really get that higher education.  It's great that your dd is already thinking about her future.  Anyway- since she is doing so well -in so many ways- I'm sure you know what is best - but just an idea.   

But at any rate -thanks for the great update!

wtsp
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 07:33:34 AM »

Thanks all for reading and sharing in our successes!

wtsp:  No junior college w/art classes nearby, part of the cons to living in "no where USA"

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Being Mindful

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 08:27:03 AM »

What a great post lbj! I am so glad you shared this anniversary with us. I'm happier yet to hear that your d. is doing so well.

Being Mindful
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest