Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 12:44:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: healing old wounds  (Read 343 times)
healingmyheart

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 20, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »

I went with a friend last night to a Divorce and Recovery Meeting.  They had a psychologist speaker who was very insightful.  She herself had been divorced three times and spoke of her upbringing and being raised by an alcoholic parent.

The main point I got out of the talk was that "Marriage is about healing each others wounds."  Idk, maybe that is old news to you guys, but I never thought about that before. 

It seems that we all bring baggage from our childhood as well as previous dysfunctional relationships into the marriage.  I can see where if your wounds aren't complimentary in a sense then you would obviously not be able to heal. 

Thats why it is so imperative that after being in a BPD relationship, we self assess and see what role we've played in the relationship. 

In looking back at my upbringing, I had a very submissive mother who was pretty much treated like a slave and had to accommodate all my dads wishes.  My dad would yell and treat my mom with disrespect.  It is obvious to me looking back why I allowed that cycle to repeat itself in my BPD relationship.  I mimicked my moms behavior.  I became that passive, submissive women... .  

Cumulus

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:45:47 PM »

I don't know about that statement that marriage is for healing each others wounds. I don't have any experience with a healthy marriage, but when I consider what I want in another relationship I don't want to be looking for someone to heal my wounds nor do I want to find someone who needs healing. I want to be able to be vulnerable to that person, feeling safe in allowing them to know my most intimate thoughts and to be able to share ideas and strengths, but I just don't think I can look outside myself for healing my own wounds. That seems to me to be more of something I need to do myself, along the lines of forgiving myself and being able to forgive those who I feel have wronged me. I do think its important to assess what went wrong in our previous relationships, so that cycle doesn't repeat.  It sounds like you are gaining some understanding, looking at yourself and understanding where your feelings came from.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest