Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 04:39:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I almost recovered?  (Read 368 times)
Shadowlands

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 30, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »

Hi all,

It's been almost a year now since calling off my wedding to my ex who may or may not have BPD and I may almost be ready for the 'Building Healthy Relationships' board! Looking back, I have some regrets that I will mention in a moment... .

However, after three months of no contact I relented today, because it would have been our wedding day (30th March) had I not called it off. For a while now I have felt myself again, the swagger is back, I have felt confident... . but today I had pangs of anxiety that I have not felt for a long time.

I wrote on here in Feb with the history, in short when I met her she was £40k in debt (blamed on a previous boyfriend who apparently beat her), she could be extremely jealous, she drank a lot (her brother and Dad are alcoholics) and she had very low self esteem. She would go crazy in public but not with people she knew around her so only a couple of friends saw her like I did so many times.

I just could not take her hyper sensitivity and her erratic mood swings any more and I felt I was going crazy. I have been through the lot... .   idealisation, devaluation, splitting, intense rages, culminating in a very stressful night in March 2012 when she tried to commit suicide with tablets in one of the early recycles before our break up. There was no self harming or cutting though and I can't say she suffered from depression for long periods. The sex was amazing but often felt like a hook to make me love her obsessively. Overall in was a roller coaster ride that lasted four years.

Anyway, I sent her a text today that said 'Hope you are OK today, bearing in mind the day. X'

There was no response of course and I knew there wouldn't be. Sending it was more about me finally closing off a hellish year. The regrets I mentioned earlier though looking back is how for so long after I broke up with her I tried so many times to rekindle the relationship, to the point where she threatened to send my emails to everyone at my work, said she would call the police and was frankly quite evil, even though in between these episodes she was quite happy to talk to me!

Going through it at the time I felt heavily addicted to the highs and lows of this nightmare situation during the detaching period which taught me all about my co-dependent, white knight issues and this need to be the rescuer. I so regret trying to get back with her and really cannot work out whether it was out of guilt, desperation, fear of loneliness or I had just gone plain crazy for while. Until of course I discovered the term BPD last November.

However, I feel like I am 90% recovered, after turning down three offers of new relationships to sort myself out I am now feeling a strong attraction to a girl at my new work after 11 months of feeling nothing for the opposite sex and watching like a hawk for red flags in every woman I met.

So tell me Advisors, Moderators and Ambassadors... . do you think I am nearly there? In need of some final validation from the experts... .

Shadowlands.

mango_flower

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »

I'm not a mod/advisor etc, but just to say I'd love to be where you are.

So whether your recovered or not, you're definitely a long way ahead of many of us here.  So that sounds like progress to me! x

Shadowlands

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »

Thanks Mango_flower... . that really helps. So what can I do to help you?

Shadowlands.
laelle

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 01:53:59 AM »

I am curious as to why you felt the need to message her on what would have been your wedding day?  I have an ex husband that was not BPD and after the divorce, I would not have thought to email him on our wedding day.  Maybe the difference is the BPD thing.  The trauma you shared together?  I think its fantastic that you have taken the time to grieve and heal yourself up.  I wish you all the best on building a healthy relationship when your ready. 

Shadowlands

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 02:33:12 AM »

Thanks Laelle,

I'm not sure I know the definitive answer to that... . making contact with her before certainly made things worse in the long run and delayed my recovery but it filled a desperate need at the time like any addiction would do. And yesterday's significant date brought back those feelings temporarily and sending the text was a coping mechanism I think. Once I sent it I didn't have as bad a feeling.

And maybe there is a lot of guilt for feeling like I have ruined her all her grand plans for the wedding and 'breaking her heart a million times' as she she told me I had during the break up, so I just wanted to make sure she was OK.

She doesn't want anything to do with me after telling her I thought she may have BPD and since then she has done a lot of smearing, but for some reason I cannot hate this woman despite how much I have tried and probably should.

I feel fine today, much like most days recently and moving forward there are no significant historic milestones so the door is now closed so now I have just got top luck up the courage to ask this new girl out!

Shadowlands.
laelle

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 02:45:01 AM »

Your honesty is refreshing.  Smiling (click to insert in post)  I have tried to contact my ex once since things finally ended.  Afterwards, I could not for the life of me understand why i did it.  I am so glad he didnt respond.  I didnt want to go back down that road again.  Its funny how we sabotage ourselves sometimes.

Its better that you hurt her before the wedding than to have to untangle yourself from all of that after.  I admire you for that.

I can understand that she must have made you feel guilty for not making her storybook illusion real, but as you know, she could not have kept up her part of the bargain.  You did the only thing you could do to remain true to yourself.

Good luck getting the courage up to ask the new woman out.
Shadowlands

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 02:56:33 AM »

Thanks a lot for your kind words Laelle.

So where are you in your recovery?... .
laelle

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:03:35 AM »

I miss him, he is important to me.  I love him.  I am ok with all that.

I understand how the relationship will always play out.  I know that nothing I do can change that.  I have let go.

There is no magic word that can fix anything.

I have to continue on.  I guess I am stuck at being bored right now. 
Shadowlands

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 03:25:05 AM »

Well, the last thing you need is another person telling you to move on, forget him, he was no good for you etc... . that used to drive me round the bend when my friends would say it.

How long has it been and if I were to give you one wish that didn't involve going back to him what would it be?

And wish stage of the grieving process do you think you are at?

Shadowlands... .
laelle

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 04:15:47 AM »

Well, the last thing you need is another person telling you to move on, forget him, he was no good for you etc... . that used to drive me round the bend when my friends would say it.

How long has it been and if I were to give you one wish that didn't involve going back to him what would it be?

And wish stage of the grieving process do you think you are at?

Shadowlands... .

I haven't asked or listened to friends or family about my relationship with him in a long time, with the exception of this website, of course.

He broke up with me about two weeks ago, but I am no stranger to being the apple of his eye and suddenly becoming what he hates most about his life. Same cycle repeated for about 3 years. This last time I envision him writing his latest venomous, hurtful, disrespectful email telling me I needed to get the f*** out of his life, while in the western union picking up the money I had sent him to SAVE HIS ASS.  My own self respect demands I stop it here.

Where am I in the grieving process?  Between depression and acceptance mostly.

As for wishes... . At the moment, my hopes and dreams are changing so I dont know what it is that I wish for.  I only know that I dont want to hurt anymore.

Shadowlands

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 05:12:59 AM »

Wow, you have put up with a lot... . and if this situation is still going on then I dont think you would have even started the grieving process yet.

What is stopping you from putting your needs before his? It all seems to be about him and you sound like the victim a du der his spell. Once I worked out that fear of being alone drove most of my actions post breakup, together with finding out about BPD, I started to self heal and regain my self respect.

I would love to help you with this, you have posted 744 times and don't would like you are making progress if you don't mind me saying? 
laelle

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 05:20:54 AM »

LOL, I have made progress.  I let it go.

The 747 posts was me detaching, learning to love myself, grieving and letting it go.  Thanks for the offer tho.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest