Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
July 03, 2024, 01:10:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crazy? or smart coping?  (Read 445 times)
byasliver

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 31, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »

We live in a very small house that is quite cramped at the moment. BPDh spends most of his time in the master bedroom and I have pretty much stopped going in there except to get clothes. He does not clean the room (though he thinks he does) and I stopped sleeping with him months ago due to certain behaviors. I am the type of person that "re-energizes" through short periods of solitude. However, with the current circumstances, that has not been possible. So here's my thinking: I'm considering using a small amount of attic space to create a "getaway" spot for myself. Our attic was never meant for any real use. It is very small but a friend put down plywood "flooring" awhile back so we could use it for storage. We have put some things up there but there is still a decent sized space being unused. Interestingly enough, the only thing on that side is a rocking chair that has deep sentimental meaning to me. So I'm thinking I could take my spare laptop, some books, craft supplies (that he's been saying we need to get out of the way anyway), etc. and let that be a space I can go to for some solitude.

I know if I tell BPDh that my intent is to have a space to get away from him, he will flip out. But if I make it seem like I'm just trying to free up space in the rest of the house and give myself a place to "craft" that isn't in everyone else's way, do you think it might work? He has set aside space in the bedroom for his "office" so I intend to make the space in the attic seem like my "office".

I don't know why I'm so afraid of what he may think of this but I know I desperately need this space of my own and I don't know what other options I have.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:17:15 AM »

Hi byasliver

Sounds like a great idea to me Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Be prepared for him to still flip out (maybe?), or at least a mild version of it.  He might feel a sense of abandonment.  Don't let it deter you and don't JADE - justify, argue, defend or explain.  This is something you need for yourself Being cool (click to insert in post)
whereisthezen

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »

Say you put all the things there to free up space and work on things that he's not quite into I.e. think of anything he doesnt like- knitting, reading, painting, recipes, say all your hobby clutter Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) anything do not say it's for you to have a little piece of zen space in the attic. Just my thought.

Do not make it sound healthy, happy or interesting. Just a place to sort through your extra stuff.
whereisthezen

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 10:36:39 AM »

Then totally enjoy your quiet peaceful zen space Smiling (click to insert in post)

byasliver

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:35:09 PM »

I did it! He's out of town visiting family this week so I worked on my little room today. I'm in it now and it is HEAVEN! My rocking chair at one end so I can read, email, whatever. Old rug on the floor so I can sit and spread out crafting projects. And we have a spare mattress that I'm going to bring up, too and there is plenty of room for that!

He actually knows how important solitude is to me and I had asked for a "craft room" for Christmas... . didn't get it. I'm hoping that since I did the work on my own, didn't spend any $ to do it and didn't bother him to do it, he won't really care.

I just can't believe how amazing this feels... . it's been months since I've had this kind of solitude... . words can't describe how delicious this is!
Rockylove

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »

I just can't believe how amazing this feels... . it's been months since I've had this kind of solitude... . words can't describe how delicious this is!

I know exactly how you feel.  I use a very small bedroom on the 2nd floor of our home for my studio/spare room (we actually have a very large spare bedroom up there as well, but I wanted my little futon bed in there just for me) It really is a wonderful feeling to have a small sanctuary!  My bf NEVER goes up stairs so it really is my haven.  I'm so glad you were able to make that space for yourself.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Together 9 years

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »

That's great! Well done! You've done many clever things already. This, and in your other post your plan about taking out money and journaling on your phone to keep track of what's been said. Go you  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

~~ The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again ... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly ~~ Become who you are ~~
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest