Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 06:42:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pulling out of the Eeyore existence  (Read 375 times)
lizzie458

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: ex spouse

« on: April 29, 2013, 10:36:09 AM »

Had a spontaneous and fun date with dBPDh on Saturday, which was nice.  I've been working on raising my attitude baseline to be more positive instead of getting sucked into the drama, depression, and negativity brought on by the BPD in our lives.  Previously, that meant not getting drawn into intense fights, but lately I've really noticed "ho hum, nothing goes right", low grade depression, Eeyore thinking has become pervasive in my life.  It is most likely to happen when I'm exhausted or anxious about something (or HALT - hungry, angry, lonely, tired).

Yesterday, for example, we went on a bit of a long drive right after church to allow our son to get a decent nap in the car.  We drove around a neighborhood we are possibly considering moving to in a year or two, and H had nothing positive to say (surprise, surprise).  Every comment was negative.  I didn't realize I was getting tired and hungry and I got a bit upset and forgot myself for a moment, gently brought up how the negativity was feeling hurtful and it'd be nice if we could maybe focus on some positives for a while.  Of course he saw that as a complete rejection of who he is and got defensive, etc.  To his credit, he did not rage, and to our mutual credit it did not turn into a big nasty fight.  But he did feel unworthy of my love and proceeded to make statements about how our marriage is not going to make it and he doesn’t know why we even try, we’re just fooling ourselves, we fight way too much, etc. etc. etc.  Normally this hurts me so badly that I lash out and he leaves me and my son.  This time I did not lash out and he did not leave.

It wasn't until we got home a few minutes later that I came to my senses and realized what was going on (we were both tired, hungry, talked out, etc.).  I wallowed in self pity for a minute just like him – “but what do I do?  How can I possibly salvage this day?” And then something in me just said, “Hang on.  This is silly.  What the crap is so serious, anyway?  There hasn’t been a fight, and there’s not even anything to fight about.”  I made a joke about it, H laughed, and we proceeded to have a pretty good rest of the day!

It’s so easy to get pulled down by all the “ho hum”-ness, even when it doesn’t seem like blatant negativity or drama.  Everything in the world doesn’t need to be analyzed, validated, resolved…sometimes you can just be silly, laugh it off, and move on!  I love the moments where I snap out of this grey, bleak life and inject some fun and vibrance into it!  I’m especially thankful that this weekend, H got to be a part of it Smiling (click to insert in post)

Looking forward to more times like this as I continue to practice positivity, mindfulness,  and gratefulness!

I mean really, what was I thinking confronting him on his negativity? Lol, like that was going to get me anywhere I wanted to go.  But that’s another thread entirely…

Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before. You can fight it, you can do nothing but scream about what you've lost, or you can accept that and try to put together something that's good.

― Elizabeth Edwards
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest