Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 22, 2024, 10:33:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Life on hold  (Read 338 times)
thinkingthinking

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: May 01, 2013, 01:28:52 PM »

After 22 years of marriage, I filed for divorce in January. We separated last October, and during the last 6 months of our separation, my BPDh has done everything from drinking and gambling to a suicide attempt that landed him in the ICU for a night and the psych unit for a week.  And yet he still has a way of saying things to me that make me feel like everything is my fault; the 22 years I spent with him, raising kids and working were not enough, I didn't hang in there long enough, it was getting better, he would have stuck by me no matter what, his dad's death triggered the gambling and I should understand that, etc.  Anytime I try to spend time and get along for one of our kid's events, he takes it as an invitation back into my life.  If I could maintain a friendship with him I would, but I just don't think he is capable.  And then when he has a "good" day, I doubt myself and wonder "did I make too big of a deal out of things?"  Luckily I have journals from the last 6 or 7 years that remind me of the turmoil.

In the meantime, he is asking for a large portion of my retirement savings in the divorce settlement and originally was asking for spousal support.  My attorney asked for a historical statement regarding our financial status, which I tried to keep pretty neutral.  However, BPDh received a copy and interpreted it as being cruel and threatened to drag out the divorce because I mentioned the gambling and excessive spending.  Part of me just wants to give him the amount he is asking for to get this done with, but I don't know that doing so will really end anything. 

I feel stuck, like I can't even think about what would make me happy or what direction my life should go. Keeping our kids in a normal mode takes up a lot of my energy.  And oddly, there is this pang of sadness when I hear of someone going on a "30 year anniversary trip" or talking about their spouse. 

Hoping to see some light at the end of the tunnel one of these days!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest