Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 15, 2024, 02:22:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worried about further stigma with BPD in headlines with arias trial  (Read 482 times)
Cici

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: process of divorce still living in same house divorce started 6 months ago

« on: May 20, 2013, 05:46:11 AM »

Ive been afraid to say this out loud or even in my own head, but with the Jodi Arias on trial and now convicted for murder and being diagnosed with BPD it scares me.  I want to educate our family about dd13 condition but now am afraid to tell them her DX.  Anyone else have thoughts concerns?  

Cici
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
jellibeans

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »

Cici

your dd is young and I would not tell many about her DX... .  even family... .  I would be vague and say she has a mood disorder... .  there are too many people who are just not well informed about BPD and I would want to project my dd's privacy as much as possible.
cleanandsober

Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »

I have followed the trial closely and feel there is a big difference between a person with BPD who is getting professional help vs. not getting any help at all.  I also watch Dr. Drew and think he has a good perspective about the stigma of mental illness.  We don't know if Jodi Arias ever had any type of professional help when she was young.  I am not blaming her parents but maybe this can be looked at as a wake up call for people to get help before a tragedy like this happens.  I think there is more sadness in denial than acceptance.
sk8mom

Relationship status: widow

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »

this is a great question... . I am glad you asked looking forward to more responses.

dd16 has anxiety, ptsd, depression and BPD.  I only tell the family about the first 3 and leave out the BPD.   This explains the trips to the ER and meds and being suspended from school and now being homebound and not returning to school this year.  I dont think they need to know anymore.  Moody is a good way to put it, PMS, being a teenager... . :'(

although my niece said that a name or dx and letting the family know could help them help me.  Rather than go down that road, i sort of explained her triggers and said we can help her by reducing the triggers and anxieties and gave them the 3 dx to put a name to it. This helps explain her absence from visiting my parents house, which is an anxiety attack waiting to happen for various reasons. 

What have others done in this situation?

I also see where there is comorbidity with other diagnosis and BPD, so its not that I am not telling the truth.  I guess i broke it down to terms people understand because I dont even understand BPD... . being new at this.

And you are right about being associated with a label and esp. this murder.

-----  

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest