Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 06:32:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about what to do  (Read 404 times)
empathic

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated since 2016-06

« on: May 20, 2013, 06:17:15 AM »

My uBPDw has been in a good mood lately, with some downs now and then. A few years back I'd been happy about this, perhaps thinking that she'd finally "seen the light". Now I know better, that she'll be back in her normal ways as soon as there is a small setback.

I don't think I love her anymore, and it's a hard truth to admit. Part of me thinks this is infinitely sad, part of me thinks it's the only consequence of the way she has been acting the last years.

Things often get very awkward when it's just the two of us lately. It's like the elephant-in-the-room kind of feeling. And despite this she wants just the two of us to go somewhere for a romantic weekend.

One thing I have a hard time to understand is that she wants us to get closer (hug, kiss more etc), and gets irritated at me for not wanting that, but fails completely to see her part in it - that if she'd treated me better those things would have come naturally. Don't really know how to deal with that, as it seems to be beyond the scope of boundaries. Any advice would be appreciated.
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »

Hi empathic,

One thing I have a hard time to understand is that she wants us to get closer (hug, kiss more etc), and gets irritated at me for not wanting that, but fails completely to see her part in it - that if she'd treated me better those things would have come naturally. Don't really know how to deal with that, as it seems to be beyond the scope of boundaries. Any advice would be appreciated.

she senses you are distancing and she wants to get closer. Frankly this is a natural and healthy desire as you are in a larger than usual distance. You are clearly not in the mood and need some distance, that is natural too. But it is at odds.

In a perfect world she would sense you distancing and inquire. In a perfect world you would signal your need for distance more explicitly and sparing her that. You are at the moment living in a world where the living room is occupied by an elephant, a world less than perfect.

Judging her on her inability to connect the dots and feel guilty is not helpful. Most likely she feels plenty of guilt anyways at times - guilt and shame are big drivers of this dysfunction. Yesterday is far away, splitting may well make her feel it was a century ago in a different universe.

You are rightly suspicious of her good behavior lately. Behavior can change on a dime and there will be certainly tough periods ahead. On the other hand her good behavior may be a sign of increased ability of regulating her own emotions - you keeping more distance and her having so to deal with more stuff alone and getting better at it may well be part.  Simply getting back to where you were in your relationship, simply getting closer is for a lot of reasons not a good idea right now.

It sounds a bit like you are lacking the ability to control the distance to her in that sense it is a boundary question. It is critical for us to feel safe and secure. You made first steps here. Part of controlling distance is also matter communication. And that is totally lacking. So you fill your need by blocking, essentially running away and distancing her. Triggering abandonment or at the minimum a normal instinct to close the gap to your partner. And continuously frustrating her efforts.

It is a natural thing to need more space at times and you should be able to communicate it. Closeness can be too much, particularly when you are not sure about your emotions. When thinking and especially when communicating it pays to focus on YOUR needs ONLY. Not on what happened in the past but what you need RIGHT NOW to feel better moving forward. Communicating your needs is done best using SET.

S- Uh, I guess I have to explain,

E- Your kissing is nice and well meant,

T- I somehow need more space at the moment. This is for me not the right time.

Q: xx why xxx

A: Not sure. I somehow need more space... .  

Q: ... .  why... .  

A: Not sure. I somehow... .  I'll go for a walk now, will be back in an hour. <exit>

Contact during the day may be easier to manage with some privacy at night. Are you back in the MB?

How are your kids taking it?

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
empathic

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:45:10 AM »

Thanks for your reply, I have been digesting it the last couple of days.

How are your kids taking it?

Hard to tell the long-term effects, but in the short term they're ok. We still manage to do fun things as a family, and my wife is a good mother. My kids are also better at asserting themselves than I am, I think. I think they'd take a D badly though, which is a big part of why I'm staying.

Contact during the day may be easier to manage with some privacy at night. Are you back in the MB?

Back in separate, as my w got sick and wanted to sleep alone... . then it just continued that way.

she senses you are distancing and she wants to get closer. Frankly this is a natural and healthy desire as you are in a larger than usual distance. You are clearly not in the mood and need some distance, that is natural too. But it is at odds.

In a perfect world she would sense you distancing and inquire. In a perfect world you would signal your need for distance more explicitly and sparing her that. You are at the moment living in a world where the living room is occupied by an elephant, a world less than perfect.

Judging her on her inability to connect the dots and feel guilty is not helpful. Most likely she feels plenty of guilt anyways at times - guilt and shame are big drivers of this dysfunction. Yesterday is far away, splitting may well make her feel it was a century ago in a different universe.

You are rightly suspicious of her good behavior lately. Behavior can change on a dime and there will be certainly tough periods ahead. On the other hand her good behavior may be a sign of increased ability of regulating her own emotions - you keeping more distance and her having so to deal with more stuff alone and getting better at it may well be part.  Simply getting back to where you were in your relationship, simply getting closer is for a lot of reasons not a good idea right now.

Yes, this is spot on. And the good streak kind of ended yesterday as she wanted to talk just as I was going to sleep (and wouldn't take no for an answer). She complained about feeling very lonely lately and several times wanted me to state clearly whether I wanted to make an effort in continuing the r/s or not. Or we might as well give up, as she stated it (black - white ?). I think I managed to get some points across, though. Like when she said that she must be able to tell me when she thinks something is wrong , I asked her how she deals with that situation with her friends (if she tells them when they're in the wrong) - and she didn't really have a good answer to that, only that "she doesn't see them as much".

I validated most of what she told me, and I had good use of the tools (and this site!) during the disussion - thanks!

It sounds a bit like you are lacking the ability to control the distance to her in that sense it is a boundary question. It is critical for us to feel safe and secure. You made first steps here. Part of controlling distance is also matter communication. And that is totally lacking. So you fill your need by blocking, essentially running away and distancing her. Triggering abandonment or at the minimum a normal instinct to close the gap to your partner. And continuously frustrating her efforts.

It is a natural thing to need more space at times and you should be able to communicate it. Closeness can be too much, particularly when you are not sure about your emotions. When thinking and especially when communicating it pays to focus on YOUR needs ONLY. Not on what happened in the past but what you need RIGHT NOW to feel better moving forward. Communicating your needs is done best using SET.

Yes, I try to think more of what I need. I also feel that I do not get as anxious during our discussions as I used to, I can see more clearly that it is BPD at work. My wife probably interprets this as abandonment, as you say, and gets frustrated.
empathic

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:48:01 AM »

Wanted to add some more things that surfaced during our talk. She hinted at that she thought I'd been seeing someone else (which I haven't). First time I've heard her say that actually. I don't really know where she'd get the idea from - probably made it up in her mind as I have been detaching.

She also asked me if I was waiting for her to initiate a divorce, and that the thought of that was terrible. I don't think that's actually what I'm waiting for - but I suppose detaching and trying to become less codependant can feel that way for her. I can't really say that to her of course, so it's hard to answer that.

This past weekend was tough, we went to see her inlaws, which always adds to her stress levels.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest