Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 04:55:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying hard not to contact her  (Read 376 times)
cult

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, 1 year

Fears Faced Are Freedoms Won

« on: May 29, 2013, 11:53:05 AM »

I don't trust my motives. I feel so desperate and alone. I can't believe how suddenly she turned off her feelings for me - ALL feeling it seems. Her actions are not loving actions. Her words are not tender words.  She seems to have forgotten that I exist.

I am heartbroken and so, so hurt. I want to reach out to her. ANY contact from her would calm me right down and make me feel more hopeful, but is that really the right thing to do? Do I really need to feel hope for a relationship with someone who is treating me so poorly?

Her brother's wife had a baby last night. She called me briefly to let me know the baby came, and I was on a call so I told her I would call her back. I called back twice. No answer and no return call.  Then on FB, she commented on a picture of the baby. The comment: "Proud aunties!" In the past such a comment would have denoted she and I - the lesbian couple. But she actually SPECIFIED who the aunties were by adding her own name and that of her sister - it's so hard not to take it personally. It's as if she was clarifying that I was not one of the "aunties". It's almost impossible not to take this as a dig. I still have not communicated with her since that 2 minute conversation yesterday when she called to tell me the baby was here - no emails, no return call, NOTHING. This is the first time that has ever happened.

I don't know what to do with myself. I want SO BADLY to email her but is it wise for me to keep crawling back for more cruelty? If I email her, she might write me back and it might help me feel less anxious, temporarily. But it won't make her love me again and that is what I really want. All contact with her, for me, encapsulates the hope that she will love me the way she did before the first week of April when, like a faucet, the love simply turned off.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Newton

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 12:40:16 PM »

cult... . a new addition to the family must be very triggering for you... . it highlights your exclusion from things.  I do feel for you going through this... .

Your answers to easing your pain are in your post... . your heart/feelings are suggesting to do one thing (contact)... . your brain is telling you the opposite ("don't you dare!... . you know how this will end up!"

Ultimately it is your choice and people here will support you either way... .

The fb post from her may have been a dig at you and your absence... . or perhaps just elation at her own situation... . try to stay focused on the consistency of her crappy behaviour ... . the big picture... . this fb post is creating immediate negativity for you and it's great you decided to post here  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

The illusion of her initial infatuation is gone... . acceptance that no matter what you do, it cannot return... . is key   

cult

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:26:29 PM »

I emailed and I called.

No response to the email.

The call went straight to VM.

She is posting pictures to FB so I know that she is around.

She's choosing not to talk to me or email me.

I know I am doing all of the wrong things. I am trying to forgive myself and do better next time.

I am so lonely. I have lost my heart. I have lost the most important person in my life. Ten years - gone in an instant.

schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »

Hi cult,

I don't trust my motives. I feel so desperate and alone. I can't believe how suddenly she turned off her feelings for me - ALL feeling it seems. Her actions are not loving actions. Her words are not tender words.  She seems to have forgotten that I exist.

As I see it, her ability to suddenly turn off her feelings/her attachment is a characteristic of her disorder.   This is more or less exactly how my xuBPDgf left me.  The last time I saw her, I was dropping her off at an airport.  She was gone for a few weeks, and then she flipped the switch.  And would not take any of my calls.  Five years, *poof*.  I thought I was going to marry her.  For a long time afterwards I still saw her as the love of my life.

I really believe that they manner in which some pwBPD leave their relationships, they inflict abandonment traumas upon their loved ones.

I am heartbroken and so, so hurt. I want to reach out to her. ANY contact from her would calm me right down and make me feel more hopeful, but is that really the right thing to do? Do I really need to feel hope for a relationship with someone who is treating me so poorly?

You are in a very difficult position right now.  I remember being in that position.  I remember doing things I'm not proud of, and in some cases, doing things I came to regret.  This is a very good time to call in all favors and bring in anything left of your support system prior to being with your BPD loved one.

I don't know what to do with myself.

I would get creative.  I remember, that I found going to places I had never been to before, helped.  I remember that everything that I did prior as a routine, would only trigger a recollection and an inclination to contact her.  It may be helpful to make new rituals and routines for yourself.

I want SO BADLY to email her but is it wise for me to keep crawling back for more cruelty?

It may not be wise, but sometimes pain (or further pain) is the best instructor in life.

If I email her, she might write me back and it might help me feel less anxious, temporarily.

You might find that each time you contact her, you are only repeating your process of detachment; making it longer and more painful than it needs be.  You might find that by doing so, you are tearing at wounds that have not yet begun to heal.

She is choosing to abandon you.

I know I am doing all of the wrong things. I am trying to forgive myself and do better next time.

Don't beat yourself up over it.  When you find yourself struggling to contact her again, do something else.  Go outside.  Go to the movies, or a library, or a park.  Post here and vent all you want.  :)o something different.

I am so lonely. I have lost my heart. I have lost the most important person in my life. Ten years - gone in an instant.

This is hard.  What you are going through is hard.  And I don't know any other way than to go through it.  It is important that you go through it.  Otherwise you might find that you've picked up many of your BPD loved one's bad (dysfunctional) habits.

In a sense, the pain that you are experiencing right now, is similar (I believe) to the pain that your BPD loved one is trying to work through, the pain she is desperate to avoid.  But she experienced her initial pain as a child.  You on the other hand have the resources and wherewithal of an adult woman.  You have a better chance to get through it.  But you also have a slight risk of walking down her path.  :)o take care of yourself.

Best wishes, Schwing

cult

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »

She is choosing to abandon you.

Schwing, I really needed to hear that. It's the truth. I remember first posting here back in 2007-08, helping other people with their R/S problems and crowing about how perfect my R/S was. We were doing well then. We were good for each other then.  I really believed we would be together for the rest of our lives. I hope that in time I can look back at the autopsy of this R/S and make better choices. Otherwise I have no hope of ever finding love again, and I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life. I feel old at 44 but I am young enough to have a second love and I want that eventually.

schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:07:46 PM »

I hope that in time I can look back at the autopsy of this R/S and make better choices. Otherwise I have no hope of ever finding love again, and I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life. I feel old at 44 but I am young enough to have a second love and I want that eventually.

I don't doubt that you will make better choices for yourself in the future.

But now is probably not the best time to make these considerations.  First, you have a 10 year relationship to bury and mourn.  And then you have yourself to renovate after all the years of wearing yourself down in order to support your BPD loved one.

I think one can still form attachments at whatever age no matter how venerable.  The trick is establishing a mindset in which that is conducive.  Nothing is more attractive to other people than sincere happiness.  And cultivating happiness in oneself is an art and worthy path to endeavor walking. 

Your most immediate challenge right now, however, as I see it, is to nurse your broken heart. 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest