Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 04:39:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insurance Coverage and RTC  (Read 656 times)
Xegxorina
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married to stepfather of BPD child, divorced from biological father

« on: June 18, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »

Has anyone had any luck with their insurance company assisting with/ covering  payment for a RTC? Specifically my insurance plan has unlimited residential coverage with approved providers- Keystone East (HMO from BCBS.) However, I've heard that insurances stop paying even when they say unlimited because they demand constant re-evaluations of necessity that RTC cannot provide. Of the 3 facilities in network (Devereux Mapleton, Kidspeace and Foundations Doylestown,) only Devereux seems to have experience with BPD, especially at their Massachusetts' facility, which is not in network.

Since research seems to show that d15 will be more likely to continue in the revolving door of expensive acute care facilities without the right tx, I have proposed to my insurance co that they make an accomadation to go out of network or reimburse upfront for private pay. Has anyone else tried this successfully or unsuccessfully?

I am also working to get her medical assistance and am looking into pursuing school district funding, but she is in an acute tx center 2000 miles away after trying a private pay program that could not handle her and need help now.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »

Hello Xeg, 

Welcome to the board!

I have not had any luck getting insurance to pay for RTC.  We ended up doing self pay from start to finish as our policy only covered 2 weeks inpatient care and by the time we met the out of network deductible the 2 weeks was up... . catch 22.

Many more people have had success going through the school system to get funding through an IEP.  This can be a long detailed process that requires patience, and co ordination with her psychiatrist, therapist, school district, etc... .

The IEP route, if successful will open more options for placement and will at least cover the educational portion.  Perhaps the insurance company will pick up the remaining treatment portion.

I noticed in your other thread that you are wanting placement close to home.  That would be most preferable and not always the best choice for treatment.  A highly involved family is one of the keys to successful treatment.

Sincerely

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
crazedncrazymom

Relationship status: Married 19 years

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 06:06:56 PM »

If you live in PA, your daughter will qualify for medical assistance due to her diagnosis.  It can take some effort, but if you have enough supporting reasons medical assistance will pay for rtf in full.  Medical Assistance will give you far greater choices and also offer wraparound programs and family based services, which you must use before they will cover rtf.

I don't have any experience with foundations or devereaux (seem to recall hearing not great things about them).  Stay FAR away from Kidspeace.  I have spoken with many professionals in the area and Kidspeace tends to just be a holding place. My daughter is currently in Hoffman Homes down in Gettysburg.  Her doctor is great and has a real understanding of BPD.  The house staff is good and they provide an accountability system.  Their therapies (horsemanship, horticulture, art and pet therapy) are really great.  Her therapist is unofficially practicing DBT.  DD16 is making great progress there.

Good luck!

crazed
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest