Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 03:15:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fessing up; my own BPD moment  (Read 561 times)
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 24, 2013, 11:54:21 AM »

Oh man, was I painting him black this weekend!

I've mentioned on the boards a few times that I'm perimenopausal   Not fun at all.  I have an inside peek as to what (I would imagine) it feels like to have BPD... .

So my pwBPD was in push mode last week, he's untreated.  He wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary (for him) while in this phase and has always managed to regulate himself without too much fanfare.  I'm usually able to take it with a grain of salt, while staying grounded in my own life.

Problem was, my own life has a lot of upheaval right now, just some personal things that have been weighing on my mind, that need tending to, that have nothing to do with him.  My mixed up perimenopausal emotions sure made my feelings = facts where he was concerned, though!  Shew, let me tell ya... .

I sent him a text canceling something we had planned together.  Didn't feel like talking, as I'm emotional and wanted to just cancel and be by myself.  It was nice enough, just didn't go into detail about what was going on with me.

So he called to see if everything was alright.

Just hearing his voice brought up all kinds of things about the past week, that I had of course been brewing about and amplifying in my mind (because I'm emotional!), but I was so passive-aggressive; yuck. 

I never came out and said he did anything wrong, but my tone was pretty accusatory, when he was asking if it had anything to do with him.  It made me mad that he was making it about him, when it was totally and completely about me and my whacky emotions!  ... . About a bunch of other things, that I was wanting to aim directly at him!  But, knew enough not to... .   But... .

He asked if I was mad at him.  I said no.  He asked what I am AT him.  I said nothing, I am nothing at you.  But the tone in which I said it, was pretty below the belt.  And then I hung up.  So mature.

I have to admit that I was wanting him to call and console me, after pushing him away pretty hard.  I wanted him to read my mind.  He didn't call, nor did he the next morning.  Can't really blame him.

I started to come out of my menopausal fog and decided there are a few ways to go about this... .   1) Either wait around and hope that he is eventually able to read my mind Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  2) Call him up and tell him exactly how I felt about his push away phase to begin with.  Or 3) Own up to my end of it and take it from there... .   Which is what I did.

I sent a peace offering text, to please call me when he got the chance.  That the phone call had everything to do with my own freaked out hormones and not being able to make sense of them or able to express what was going on clearly.

He called in less than a minute, thanking me for the text. 

I explained what was going on in my life and that I was feeling pretty alone with it all.  That it made me feel frustrated he was making it about him, when it was about me.  And that had he pushed for more info, I could make it about him, alright!  We laughed.  Asked if I could lean on him for support.  He said, 'Of course, thanks for letting me know what's going on'.  He even validated the fact that it must feel awful having so many issues going on at once and that today was all about me and what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go

We're in a good place right now.  And I feel better for having opened up to him without throwing the kitchen sink at him.  That sometimes it is me who needs space to make sense of things.  He understood that completely Smiling (click to insert in post)
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:17:59 PM »

And then I hung up.  So mature.

My take on it: You knew you weren't going to be able to say anything you wouldn't regret at that point... . so NOT saying anything else you would regret or using a tone that you would regret was mature! You know how a friend tackles his drunken buddy who's trying to start a fight that won't do any good? You did that to yourself.

If this is how you cope at your worst, I'm pretty impressed  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Sometimes I wonder if it was being perimenopausal along with some other life stresses that really kicked my wife into full-on BPD behaviors that I'd only seen occasional outbursts or echos of years before (episodes counted per year, not per week or per day). Whatever, I find myself very very lucky that she has hit a level of self-awareness similar to yours!
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:30:07 AM »

And then I hung up.  So mature.

My take on it: You knew you weren't going to be able to say anything you wouldn't regret at that point... . so NOT saying anything else you would regret or using a tone that you would regret was mature! You know how a friend tackles his drunken buddy who's trying to start a fight that won't do any good? You did that to yourself.

Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

I like your way of thinking, Grey Kitty Smiling (click to insert in post)

Self awareness is something else, especially for those of us who have for most of our lives been 'other' focused.  Then wondering why in the world the same old stuff keeps happening   Definitely the definition of insanity:  Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Thanks as always for your time and perspectives... .   And I'm very happy to hear that you and your wife are in a good place together, moving forward... .
laelle

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:49:30 AM »

Phoebe,

as always

I wanted to mention that by your post your partner was able to keep his cool and be empathetic towards your needs as well.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

When my ex was angry I always thought it was me, so I can kind understandwhere he was coming from there. 

All in all, it sounds like you two are able to communicate and feel satisfied with the resolution.

Good stuff,

Laelle

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 05:12:25 AM »

When my ex was angry I always thought it was me, so I can kind understandwhere he was coming from there. 

Hi laelle

Yea, I totally get that, too.  I've hung on to the end of his anger, swaying around on the winds of change with it, something that had nothing to do with me at the time, but by god, I was going to make it about me (subconsciously) because I wanted to feel connected to him in any way possible and didn't want him to be angry; anger scared me, coming from anyone (FOO issue).  me me me me me me

He might have an entirely different subconscious reason for making it about him.  And it's really not my business to go digging around for answers from him.

Simpling things down continues to be a process... .   Getting in touch with my feelings, the basics--  sad, hurt, afraid, angry and happy and being able to express them with no blame or shame or guilt projection, no loaded emotional bonds, is what I'm working on and have accepted it might be something that's with me for the rest of my life.  Having to stop and ponder for (sometimes more than... . ) a few; what is going on here?  I think I have delayed processing capabilities.

I've said it before that I can think too much about things until my brains fall out Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

*Sigh*, life is interesting... .

It's good to see you out and about processing your own stuff, too, laelle  Smiling (click to insert in post)  Thanks for your support

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest