Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 01:29:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Always Have Another Chance to Make a Change  (Read 369 times)
Pretty Woman

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

The Greatest Love is the Love You Give Yourself

« on: November 22, 2013, 10:17:57 AM »

I was reading the boards this morning and I noticed a common trend... .

those of us who went back for another "dance" with our BPD feels so much guilt and self loathing for having done so.

Why do we beat the crap out of ourselves for being loving, generous and trusting people?

Your relationship is/was toxic. Like any addiction, quitting "cold turkey" is rare.  It is hard to quit someone who returns to you, a "wolf in sheeps clothing", hitting triggers within us, bringing our psyches back to times when things were "good", when we first fell in love with them.

Going back means one thing... .

you have not lost your capacity to "trust".

A lot of people talk on here about not being able to trust again. That is your fear talking. The sheer fact we have taken our exes back time and time again means we trust in something.

Normal people trust. Good people trust. This world is built on a lot of things. Trust is important.

So do not beat yourself up for trusting. Do not self sabbotage yourself that you will never be able to trust again. That is your fear talking. Every time you took your ex back you were actually blowing that theory out of the water anyways:)

The key is this... .we all go through the stages of grieving. Loving a person with BPD we tend to get stuck between "denial and anger". I know I vacillate between the two quite often!

Your un-medicated/treated BPD was not a bad person. This is a person that acts the way they do to SURVIVE. Imagine if you grew up on an island and had never seen another human being.  Say someone came along and took you to dinner. You would not know what to do with a knife and fork.  You might "mirror" your dinner companion. You might smile back when they smile at you, but everything is foreign.  You grew up alone, unloved. Imagine if this person hugged you. You would be confused by it. You might like it, but again, foreign to you. You might misinterpret it as a deep love because you have not felt it before.

You cannot rationalize the thoughts of anyone but yourself.

It's getting to a place of compassion and being able to let go. A place of compassion where you can accept what has happened, figure out why YOU allowed yourself to be treated that way and "live and let go". Wish your ex the best (not in words to them... .God no Smiling (click to insert in post) but wish them happiness and send them love. You cannot fix them.

You are a person capable of loving someone greatly. In this relationship you became a caregiver. No one was taking care of you.  It was a tremendous load and weight but you did it.

I am saying it is time to let someone else help you carry it.

Visit these boards, talk to people on here and read their stories. You are NOT alone.

If you had the capacity to love someone with BPD you have the capacity to let them go with that same compassion of love and respect.  When you get to the bare bones of it all, they do not have love or respect for themselves.  It is very sad but again, this is not about them, this is about getting YOU back.

You are human and sometimes you will make a decision you will later regret. Do not beat yourself up. Just learn from it and start over. We are very lucky, with each new day we have that opportunity!

Blessings!

Ironmanrises

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »

I know exUBPDgf isn't a bad person because she has a disorder, it is her behavior towards me that is god awful. I gave her my trust foolishly when I let her come back into my life in round 2, almost as if to say "I am accepting you for who you are regardless of your condition with the naive expectation that somehow she would be able to acknowledge and respect that gesture in return." Yes I know, foolish and naive of me. I should have known better. A reflection of my own inherent flaws. And now I am paying the price of that months later as I battle each day to stay afloat.
ShadowDancer

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »

I do see your point about trust, and while it is quite gallant to talk about the ability to "trust" in the context of of those we share our lives with I clearly observe one MAJOR exclusion in the equation of your logic. That is SELF.

Folks beat the crap out of themselves when they go against their own better interests and do not trust and follow that inner and perhaps at times smaller voice that tells them to self preserve and not wear their trust on their sleeve like a badge of idiocy and go head strong into a situation that is known to be not safe for the self.

Which is the greater more valuable demonstration of trust and valor. Trust of self or trust of others?  

I am reminded of that T.V. commercial where the actor hits himself on the forehead and says, "And I could have had a V-8", instead of whatever it was he chose to drink that was not good for him.

In addiction the tapering off is not usually successful. It's an inside job. It is about when your ready you are ready... .cold turkey and bare wires... .nothing is easy.

Everybody has something to hide except for me and my monkey!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest