Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 06, 2024, 06:22:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enough is Enough  (Read 425 times)
looking4myself

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 04, 2014, 07:11:49 AM »

I haven't heard that phrase in easily over 20 years, if not more.  My father (who I loved dearly and passed when I was 21) used to say:  "Enough is Enough".

Well, now I say: 

"Enough is Enough".

I am the only one to blame for the situation in which I am now, for my misery, my depression, my slothliness.  If I want my life to improve, I need to start taking responsibility.

I have to stop waiting for my uBPDh to make a move first because it's not about him (not to mention he just never will because of this illness); this journey is about me.

If I want my life to change, I have to work on myself; I have to allow myself to work on myself.  I have to stop living in the "FOG" (fear, obligation, guilt).

I have to do the work because I should know these things about myself regardless or whether or not my uBPDh is around.

This is something I should've figured out about myself in college, but since I got involved with my uBPDh right off the bat, I didn't.

So I begin by asking myself: "What are my values"?

Here are the links to the reading I've been doing:

Boundaries: Living our Values:

https://bpdfamily.com/content/values-and-boundaries

The Gnome Exercise:

https://bpdfamily.com/content/values-and-boundaries

My values:

1. I value cleanliness.  I value a comfortable, clean and safe home. 

2.  I value timeliness.

3.  I value hard work.

4.  I value consistency.

5.  I value emotional intelligence (the capacity to be aware of, control, and express one's emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically)

6.  I value creativity and self-expression through art.

This one, ironically enough because I built my professional life around art, brings tears to my eyes.  Maybe because for one reason or another, I feel that it is wrong to act on this value.  Maybe because I’ve allowed this value to become victim/play the martyr to my feelings of failure when in reality, it is I who am to blame for my thin boundaries.

I'm going to sit on these values for a bit and re-read them and re-evaluate.  Once I'm comfortable with my list, I will begin to create a list of consequences (for my family and myself) if any of my boundaries are challenged.

dontknow2

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 08:54:54 AM »

Knowing your values, what is important to you, and having the courage to take responsibility. Empowering for me to hear it. I get so easily sidetracked. Thank you.

I am sorry to hear about your father's loss. 
looking4myself

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:05:17 PM »

Thank you so much for your message, dontknow2.  I, too, get easily sidetracked so am working hard to make a concerted effort to stay on track.

A few challenges presented themselves this morning and I'm using these as opportunities to work backwards toward my value.  To ask myself which value I felt was violated.

As a result, I'm adding the following to my list:

I value rules, respect and preparedness.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest