Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 07:44:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonderful PRTF in Asheville, NC  (Read 583 times)
Googie

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: engaged for 9 years with no plans of tying the knot any time soon

« on: January 23, 2014, 12:27:43 AM »

Eliada Home for Children offers an inpatient long term treatment program that I highly recommend based on our experience with having my DD16 admitted 2/13.  

I literally watched a miracle unfold through my DD's change in behavior and consistent positive progress.  There were times she fought it, but once she "got" the fact that her misery was HER responsibility to change, there was no stopping her.  

This facility is the only facility that incorporates DBT skills into a daily routine.  There are four cottages that are identified by specific therapeutic techniques.  :)BT, MST, TFCBT, and ART/CBT.  

Staff is very well trained as well as organized which allows this particular program to have very few weak links that are often found in ordinary CBT focused PRTF's.

The most important element of my daughter's therapeutic experience was the fact this program has amazing therapeutic support activities including equine therapy and NYPUM which is similar to equine therapy only using mini bikes to promote healing, growth and self confidence.  Both of these programs are amazing and boosted my daughter's motivation to earn the privilege to be allowed to participate.  

I truly believe if my DD did not get to experience this program, we would still be living in the middle of intense chaos and the chances for her to complete her attempts at suicide would be a constant state of reality for everyone in the family.  

We had a difficult transition to a lower level of care however, because of the skills she was able to master during her treatment at Eliada, she was able to maintain her ability to stay in a wise minded state and applied her coping skills which prevented her from being engulfed by her emotions which in the past ended up with law enforcement having to be involved, attempting suicide, assaulting friends and family, and many other unhealthy scenarios that we all have witnessed to one degree or another.

www.eliada.org/programs/treatment/prtf

Above is the link to Eliada's website.  If anything, please stand alongside whoever brought you to seek out this site.  Family support is so important as is any healthy support from friends, teachers, church families and the like.

My DD and I have such a close relationship with the professionals that helped break a cycle I believed was impossible to break.  They saved my daughter and helped me understand what my part in her recovery (whether it continues to be positive or has a potential to fail) should look like and taught me not to become a hostage by the chaos of this disorder.  I learned things about myself and have made some amazing and sometimes difficult discoveries that opened the door for me to allow myself to stop carrying the burden of another without feeling like I am failing her.

I have such high hopes because of my DD's choice to apply the skills to prevent her from living in a world of hate, driven by fear and seek out maladjusted satisfaction by hurting the people she comes into contact with.  Now my DD has witnessed her younger sister's attitude and feels remorse because she has the ability to relate to hurting us only one year ago in similar ways that are no longer a part of who she is.  She has genuine remorse and is absolutely feeling sad as a witness to someone else's misdirected anger.  She told me she feels human when she allows herself to feel the painful emotions and is able to verbalize what she lacked until her experience at Eliada, which continues to be abundant gratitude for sticking right by her side and remorse for everything she has done to cause us pain.

I was told she lacked a conscious last year and that I needed to seek help to detach from her in order to prepare myself for the inevitable.  

I am so grateful that I followed my gut and stuck with her through thick and thin.  I prayed for respite, what I received was a miracle in my daughter's zest for life, her happiness, her laughter, her dedication to her younger sibling by incorporating him into her day in hopes that his memories of the violence and fear he experienced will be forgotten.  

My famous saying is ":)on't Tell Me, Show Me" after countless apologies and promises.  I'm sorry because humorous in a way only we could understand.  

She's showing us now.  Consistently.  She is my hero.  She has been my teacher.  We are a team.  She found herself.  She has hope.  I no longer have thoughts pop into my head about all the what if's that kept me from sleeping for almost three years.  I sleep.  I ate.  I am no longer hostage.

This is possible for everyone who is battling with mental illness.  So, my intent was to share a small part of our story in hopes that someone looking to hear positive, miraculous really can and do happen will have a bit of a lift with the information to research another long term treatment option.

It takes a village... .   it is so true of a saying when BPD is disrupting the lives of the person who suffers from it and all the people affected by the devastation BPD (untreated) can cause.  This is a team, knowledgeable, dedicated, trustworthy that has restored my vision of possibilities of amazing pathways for my daughter to live a vibrant purposeful life; a year ago I saw nothing but blackness and was being told to prepare for the worst.

Not on my watch.  

She's been freed from a tragic ending for now.  She knows only SHE can keep it going.

She smiles... .   a lot.

Googie

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest