Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 08:28:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming to an end... and I'm freaking out  (Read 333 times)
ts919

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married

« on: January 27, 2014, 08:16:14 AM »

uBPDw and I have our final court date in less than a month... . and I'm starting to panic.  I know it's for the best (i'm the one that filed) and it's something I need to do for me and my S7; but I'm still panicking.  She's so good at making me feel guilty.  My s7 was at his mom's all weekend and I did my best to stay out of the house (uBPDw is still living at our home) but it's tough.  Anyone have any good tactics they've used in the past?  I keep reminding myself over and over again why I'm doing this, but it doesn't seem to work.  I think a part of me never thought it would get this far - I figured that filing would scare her into getting the help she so desperately needs.  I've told her that saving our marriage would require a separation, marriage counseling, and individual therapy... . she's known this for months now.  Last week she scheduled a MC apt... . after me begging her to do it for 2 years.  She's still refusing a separation though - says she will never do it.  Even at the expense of getting a divorce (seems strange to me... . she's claimed over and over again that she'll "do anything" to save our marriage... . except actually do anything at all... . )

Thanks for listening; just kind of feeling super panicked this morning.   

seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:39 AM »

Hi ts919,

Sorry you are having a tough time - it is normal when we get close to "end" that we wonder, is this really what I want?

You filed for divorce for a reason, right?  Keep focused on that reason.

Divorce as a tactic to get someone to deal with their issues is tricky because it means we must follow through... . as hard as this might be for you to do - her not getting treatment is not a personal attack on you.  It is her mental illness and facing that reality is very difficult - PD's especially tend to exist just to deny themselves.

Breathe - you are not alone and what you feel is absolutely normal.   Do you have a T of your own to help process your feelings?

Peace,

SB

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack
Lucky Jim

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »

Hi ts919, Sorry to hear what you are going through.  I have been there, my friend, and understand how hard it is.  Yet I agree with SB: keep your focus on your future, post-divorce.  Life can be a lot more peaceful, I think you will discover.  Concerning guilt, I suggest that your awareness of when your uBPDw is using guilt to manipulate you is the way to defuse its impact.  The F-O-G made me a marionette at times, but once I caught on I didn't let her pull the strings anymore.  You can do the same.  LJ 

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
ts919

Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 12:45:46 PM »

Thanks for the responses Smiling (click to insert in post)

I do have a T that I see on a regular basis; it certainly has helped.  I think I'm just having one of "those days" today - it happens on occasion!  I just keep reminding myself as to why I'm doing this; I'm stopping the cycle of verbal and emotional abuse for me and my son.  I think it's just seeing that date on the calendar getting closer and closer; I know it's going to be a super tough day.

LJ - thanks for the advice.  I know it's the FOG - I could feel it this weekend; thankfully I spent most of my time away from her (which certainly helps). 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest