Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 07:17:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The FOG equation  (Read 492 times)
arn131arn

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: living apart

« on: February 03, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »

Let's say I dated my ex for three months and we broke it off NEVER to recycle again.

Then, hypothetically, let's say, that we were together and engaged for 14 years.

Would it take longer to get out of the FOG the longer you were in a RS with a cluster B?

I am just wondering if the length of time someone is in a RS is directly proportional with how long it takes to get out of the FOG.

I ask this bc I have made the decision today to stop communicating with her father about seeing my son.  He doesn't get anything accomplished and to tell the truth, it triggers me for days at a time.

Often, after these coffee shop meetings and phone conversations, I walk away and for the next few days feel tremendous Fear, Obligation, and Guilt.

Thanks,

Arn

keep moving forward everyone. 
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »

I think there are too many variables to say that the fog is proportional to the length of time in the relationship; I've read stories here were people come out of it when they're still in the relationship, they've just had enough.  I think the main things are our own mental health and how proactive we are at our detachment.  Kudos for realizing her father is a trigger arn, and wanting to do something about it; good for you!
arn131arn

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:02:23 PM »

I think there are too many variables to say that the fog is proportional to the length of time in the relationship; I've read stories here were people come out of it when they're still in the relationship, they've just had enough.  I think the main things are our own mental health and how proactive we are at our detachment.  Kudos for realizing her father is a trigger arn, and wanting to do something about it; good for you!

Thanks, heel.  Haven't looked at her FB in a LONG time.  After 7 weeks NC, I just couldn't figure out why I kept taking 3 or 4 steps backwards you know?

Then there was one common denominator!Her dad

Maybe I like Math too much  Smiling (click to insert in post)

I'm a nerrrrrrd I know!

fromheeltoheal

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »

Thanks, heel.  Haven't looked at her FB in a LONG time.  After 7 weeks NC, I just couldn't figure out why I kept taking 3 or 4 steps backwards you know?

Then there was one common denominator!Her dad

Maybe I like Math too much  Smiling (click to insert in post)

I'm a nerrrrrrd I know!

Well these things tend to multiply, once we cross the divide, better to subtract when appropriate, as we add to who we are.  There's the root of it, squared as that sounds... .
santa

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:27:09 PM »

My healing process wasn't a gradual progression. I would make progress and then regress and then make progress again. It's not unusual to have setbacks. Just stick with it and don't get too disappointed in yourself about a little regression. The important thing is to not get stuck in it. Just remember that you want to keep moving forward and detaching. Stay pointed in that direction and you'll get through your struggles.
arn131arn

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 11:29:27 PM »

Santa,

Last week myP told me that speaking with her dad about anything is not really NC. I needed to understand that this guy is NOT on my side.

Even though he is trying to play the mediator, he will NOT do anything for my betterment.  It's his daughter and to think that he would help me is as believable as his daughter being a sane woman.

Santa, would you agree that I have talked a good game about NC for 7 weeks; but in actuality, I have NOT?

fromheeltoheal

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 11:36:33 PM »

Well, the contact you've had has been indirect, but the real question is, is it working?  No contact is a tool, not a hard and fast rule, and it boils down to what's best for you?  You identified a trigger that isn't helping, eliminate it and move forward.
santa

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:38:42 PM »

Santa,

Last week myP told me that speaking with her dad about anything is not really NC. I needed to understand that this guy is NOT on my side.

Even though he is trying to play the mediator, he will NOT do anything for my betterment.  It's his daughter and to think that he would help me is as believable as his daughter being a sane woman.

Santa, would you agree that I have talked a good game about NC for 7 weeks; but in actuality, I have NOT?

I think you did what you thought was the right thing to do and you made a very good effort at it. Do I think talking to her dad would fall under no contact? No. I think it means you're still having contact. It's not benefiting you to have contact with him either. If it were, it would have happened by now. I think you did the right thing by trying it, but now that you've seen it's not getting you anywhere, it's probably pointless to stay in contact with him. He's clearly not helping you. It's really just keeping you emotionally invested in something you have no control over. I think it's hurting you.

Her dad isn't on your side here. He's absolutely not. So, talking to him will do nothing but hurt you.

I think if you'd been in total no contact with her and anyone associated with her for the last 7 weeks, you'd probably be feeling a lot better about things. If I were you, I'd give it a try for awhile and see if you like it. It may help.
Perfidy

Relationship status: Divorced/18 years Single/5 months that I know of.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:06:13 AM »

I think detachment obeys the law of inverse squares arn. The longer you focus on your self is inversely proportional to pain. All the crappy thoughts get weaker the further from the source of aggrivation you get in the space time continum. Just a theory.
arn131arn

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 12:16:37 AM »

I think detachment obeys the law of inverse squares arn. The longer you focus on your self is inversely proportional to pain. All the crappy thoughts get weaker the further from the source of aggrivation you get in the space time continum. Just a theory.

Awesome, Perf!

So, me and pain are on the same side of the equation... .

You a smart mofo, Perf... . you really are!
Perfidy

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 12:27:35 AM »

The = sign is balance.
Perfidy

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 12:33:34 AM »

I'm kind of an anomaly, I have strong right brain and left brain functions. I'm ambidextrous. I can sing and play music and I'm good with numbers. I paint, draw, write, I can compose music. Another fun fact... . I have twin daughters, mirror twins. Identicle, one is right handed the other left.
arn131arn

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 12:51:40 AM »

I'm kind of an anomaly, I have strong right brain and left brain functions. I'm ambidextrous. I can sing and play music and I'm good with numbers. I paint, draw, write, I can compose music. Another fun fact... . I have twin daughters, mirror twins. Identicle, one is right handed the other left.

See the whole time I thought it was anorexious! Lol... . wait that's my ex
Surnia
Retired Staff

Relationship status: 8 y married, divorced since 2012-11-22

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 03:56:25 AM »

Hi arn

I had yesterday similar thoughts about her father's role in it. You tried with him and that was okay. Now you are realizing he is not on your side and not on your son's side, so its wise to go on differently.

For me this is also partly FOG lifting: Doing something - checking the outcome - doing something different. When we are in the FOG, we act often in a repeating pattern.

“Don’t shrink. Don’t puff up. Stand on your sacred ground.”  Brené Brown
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest