Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 04:46:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dilemma - need advice  (Read 337 times)
ts919

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married

« on: February 07, 2014, 10:04:52 AM »

My final hearing with uBPDw is two weeks from today and she has yet to move out of the house.  I just found out that I am needing to be out of town next week for work - and this is making me very uncomfortable, leaving my house for a week, not knowing when she is planning on moving (she won't tell me but she's been piling up boxes in the garage all week long).  Should I try to get out of traveling this week, even though its a super important work thing that I REALLY should be at?  For some reason it just seems like a bad idea to be out of town with this type of stuff going on. 

I just don't know what to do!  Not going could potentially look very bad for me at work, but at the same time I would barely be able to concentrate knowing she was at our house, doing and taking god knows what... .
phantom17

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »

Rent a storage locker for a week. Put anything you don't want to lose in it until she's out? It's not convenient and may even be extreme, but it may ease your mind while you're away? 

Johnny Alias

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »

Phantom has a good idea here.  If you provoke her she could literally loot the place.  Grab the essential stuff and lock it up somewhere, but don't be obvious about it. 

Anything else can be replaced, but I'd still take pics of it all if it gets nasty and your place becomes a warehouse. 

Dont screw around with work.  You wont be able to replace anything if you lose your JOB. 
Ceide

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »

In addition to what has already been suggested, do you have a trusted friend that could keep an eye on the place while your gone?  Someone you could give an extra key to so they can do a walk-through after she leaves, make sure she didn't sabotage anything?

seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 12:34:53 PM »

My final hearing with uBPDw is two weeks from today and she has yet to move out of the house.  I just found out that I am needing to be out of town next week for work - and this is making me very uncomfortable, leaving my house for a week, not knowing when she is planning on moving (she won't tell me but she's been piling up boxes in the garage all week long).  Should I try to get out of traveling this week, even though its a super important work thing that I REALLY should be at?  For some reason it just seems like a bad idea to be out of town with this type of stuff going on. 

I just don't know what to do!  Not going could potentially look very bad for me at work, but at the same time I would barely be able to concentrate knowing she was at our house, doing and taking god knows what... .

I dealt with this myself as I traveled a lot too -  I totally understand your frustration.  Although my ex moved, she refused to give up the key until it was "over".  Technically, I couldn't change the locks, so... . I get it.

I did put items I didn't want "moved" at a friends, but my attorney arranged with ex's attorney a time and we would each have a neutral friend present.  It was on ex's timeline (pick and choose battles at this point) but I made it work to be done.

Video tape the contents so you have record.

If you are still living together, you could always put a padlock on your bedroom and put what you want to keep in there when you travel.

The thing is, if she is going to take stuff, she will figure out a way - the more likely scenario is she will not take all her stuff and you will be left with random things. 

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack
ShadowDancer

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »

The PDI that I knew came back several months later with her cohorts and kicked in my back door and stole pretty much everything they could carry. I approximate about $30,000.00 in losses of cash and goods. The theft was well planned. Calling the cops was akin to calling Laurel and Hardy.

My unwillingness to reengage with her created a furious storm of hate and revenge in her world.

How they are able to rationalize and live with these behaviors is still an astonishing spectacle in my memory.

Each experience is different. My advise is DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE their capabilities for scorched earth behaviors.

Several months after the theft... . a recycle was attempted... . fascinating!

charred

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »

Alarm systems, including those that record cars/people coming/going and alert you... are not that much anymore. I have had an alarm system for years now... and video cameras. My exwife when she moved out left tons of stuff... and would get one box at a time... (70 boxes of junk)... it was an ongoing excuse to communicate... hired a packing/moving company and paid the money to get her stuff out... was worth it. My job has me gone often for days at a time... with an exBPDgf that is nuts, valuables in the house and an exwife to worry about, the technology was cheap and worth it.

Good advice to get anything you really care about out and safe.

Most I ever lost from someone I didn't know was about 7K... . pales compared to the $250K+ losses and personal devastation due to my pwBPD.

Good luck... plan for worst, and be happy if it doesn't happen.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest