Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 01:44:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Hide Your Sadness  (Read 368 times)
earthgirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« on: February 14, 2014, 03:34:52 AM »

So... . we were in the Mojave desert when he tells me: we are almost out of gas, can I look online for the nearest station?  I look, and it's 48 miles away. Our car says we are going to run out of gas in 20 miles. Then we lose cell service.  It's late afternoon.  I feel a little panicky about all this. I do NOT react or criticize him (I've learned the hard way, no point in that) but I do get quiet.  I'm not giving him the silent treatment, we are talking, but I have retreated somewhat, trying to manage my emotions... . I'm mad and quite frankly, scared, trying to figure out different scenarios, walking 28 miles to gas station, spending the night in the car in the desert, cold, do we have enough water, etc. 

Forward a few hours:  (we made it -- luckily there was in fact a gas station not on the map) But: HUGE fight -- he is furious at me because I was obviously concerned, while he on the other hand looked at it like "a big adventure."  I was stupid and lame for not seeing it that way. (And:  I think I know what that was all about... . he was embarrassed by his irresponsibility.)

During those miles I was worrying, I knew better than to criticize him, or to express my fear, but sometimes, that's not enough... . he gets furious if he can even tell I am just *thinking* something negative.  So.  My question: I don't know how to avoid appearing sad when I am sad, and I need to figure this out, because it's not worth the battle that ensues. Can anyone recommend any exercises or specific things to do so that my feelings will not show? 

And yes... . I realize how ridiculous this probably sounds.   :'(

The first and best victory is to conquer self.

-- Plato
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

lemon flower

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:58:32 AM »

it's not ridicule, it's sad... . hiding your emotions is not healthy but I understand why you do it, this is a very tipical example of "walking on eggshells"... .

until now I haven't been able to control my expressions to a point that he wouldn't notice my emotions underneath it, but I did find out that he wasn't necessarily interpreting them right!

maybe don't focus too much on it, it will make you feel blocked and uncomfortable and he will notice that for sure!

tell him you have the right to have your own emotions and that you don't want to be critised or attacked about it, they have nothing to do with him... .

(and yes, I know he will not understand it completely, but that's his problem, not yours)
kft

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:48:41 AM »

Actually I find what usually works best for me is to just own my feelings, accept them and not apologize for them. If you have the attitude of "yes I was scared, but everything turned ok in the end so what does it matter? Let's move on." and stay confident and chill potential fights defuse pretty quickly. He's looking to soothe his guilt by making you responsible, but he will find a new solution if you refuse to give in. The secret is to be calm when he confronts you, bordering on ambivalent even. Don't defend yourself. Embrace the mantra "yes ... . and so what?"

You have a right to your own emotions. Giving him permission to dictate how you should feel in a given situation is just going to make things worse, not better.

an0ught
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 09:47:03 AM »

So... . we were in the Mojave desert when he tells me: we are almost out of gas, can I look online for the nearest station?  I look, and it's 48 miles away. Our car says we are going to run out of gas in 20 miles. Then we lose cell service.  It's late afternoon.  I feel a little panicky about all this. I do NOT react or criticize him (I've learned the hard way, no point in that) but I do get quiet.  I'm not giving him the silent treatment, we are talking, but I have retreated somewhat, trying to manage my emotions... . I'm mad and quite frankly, scared, trying to figure out different scenarios, walking 28 miles to gas station, spending the night in the car in the desert, cold, do we have enough water, etc.  

Scary indeed. This was an exceptional situation with real safety concerns. Keeping your own emotions under control and your reason working was certainly needed and hard. Now we got to distinguish regulating our own emotions (self validation, breathing, reminding ourselves of our strengths) and hiding our emotions. The former is healthy and needed and the latter is usually unhealthy and often backfires.

Why is hiding unhealthy? First it takes energy to do game playing away from energy to act with intent to make matters better. It can be a distraction in situations of danger. It can confuse us about our own emotions which are valuable advisors in matters of life and death.

Why is hiding often back-firing? We are not good actors. We have low boundaries towards the pwBPD to begin with that implies a lot of emotions just cross over all the time. Try to hide anything? The lack of something crossing over is a giveaway. And sudden emotional silence can be easily be invalidating and a big irritant to the pwBPD.

During those miles I was worrying, I knew better than to criticize him, or to express my fear, but sometimes, that's not enough... . he gets furious if he can even tell I am just *thinking* something negative.  So.  My question: I don't know how to avoid appearing sad when I am sad, and I need to figure this out, because it's not worth the battle that ensues. Can anyone recommend any exercises or specific things to do so that my feelings will not show?  

And yes... . I realize how ridiculous this probably sounds.   :'(

Given that hiding is dysfunctional owning your emotions is what remains. How to do that? I won't tell you - your last sentence is already a good example  :'( ==>  Smiling (click to insert in post). You are insecure and uncertain what to do. You validate. You share your self validation with us.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

You may well have a healthy emotional management regime that worked for you. But you don't trust it anymore. You are getting irritating feedback from him and intermittent feedback can be highly problematic and lead to adoption dysfunctional behavior (gambling addiction based on that).

Now having said all this you are rightly worried about him blowing up. You probably sensed that he is very tense and worried too. He can't share it directly - is a macho guy thing. So you are caught in a dilemma when validating him - address optimism and while you touch on his outer shell you invalidate his inner fear. Touch fear and you invalidate him playing the strong guy. Communicate nothing and you communicate unregulated major fear. So... .

One option is SET. Key is to address his emotions before sharing your as part of T. That gets your almost dysregulated emotions into the open and that elephant becomes less problematic in the crowded space of the car.

S: There is little I can do right now to help you

E: you are focused and want to get us to a gas station, there will be one

T: I'm not so strong and terribly afraid. I'll better keep quiet for the next half hour to irritate you less with my anxiety - when you need to talk I'll give my best

So what does this do? It validates helplessness, it validates him driving and his intent. He may have conflicting emotions but he does have a clear intent. It validates his weakness and fears. It avoids triggering abandonment. It validates him hearing your anxiety and avoids getting him triggered by your silence.

Forward a few hours:  (we made it -- luckily there was in fact a gas station not on the map) But: HUGE fight -- he is furious at me because I was obviously concerned, while he on the other hand looked at it like "a big adventure."  I was stupid and lame for not seeing it that way. (And:  I think I know what that was all about... . he was embarrassed by his irresponsibility.)

Yeah right - he was totally relaxed - that was why he was blowing up. Absolute nonsense. He had a lot of contradictory and strong emotions to deal with during this emergency. And after the immediate danger was gone he was freaking out. You may have been able to help a little with emotional regulation during the drive but considering that it was a limit experiencing situation it was likely he would go to some degree into emotional overload (dysregulation) afterwards. Boundaries e.g. taking some break and spending time apart (I have to go for a longer washroom trip) or getting him to walk etc. could have helped to mitigate the situation. There was a lot of adrenalin in his body which he needed to pretend "cool" and that was not needed anymore but still there.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
earthgirl

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »

an0ught -- thank you for your thoughtful reply.  You've given me much to think about.  Your way certainly sounds more sane.   

-- Plato
earthgirl

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 03:34:35 PM »

Triskina and kft:  thank you both, also.  Looks like everyone is on the same page.  Very good thoughts from everyone. 

-- Plato
Samuel S.
Formerly Sensitive Man

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »

Earthgirl, what a horrendous, frightful situation to be in and then not to feel comfortable to express your anxiety! Let's hope your SO will be a little more observant before having to encounter such a situation again! I feel for you completely!

It is hard for me to reveal any sadness or any happiness around my BPDw, because she has that holier than thou attitude, that she deserves to express all kinds of emotions, that she is the only human being with emotions around here. I remember she told me many a time how she does not like people who are proud, because they feel they are holier than out. When I published 2 books, I was really very happy, but I couldn't express my happiness to her. When she saw that, she asked me to show some emotions. So, I would be damned if I do and damned if I don't. As for me to express sadness around her, she basically has said to get over it, to grow up. Yet, she is dealing with her sadness, that of losing a child who was only 7 1/2 in 1999. Thus, nobody else according to her can possibly have sadness.

All I can suggest to you is seeing that your SO tries to limit your sadness, is to let your SO learn from the experiences. You need an outlet to share your emotions, all of them, whether they be friends or other family members.
earthgirl

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »

Samuel S.,

Thanks for your response.  I'm going to use this as a learning experience; I've replayed it in my mind now a few times, thinking about practicing the tools spoken of here by An0ught and others.  I'm also pretty isolated (surprise, surprise) so I'm going to try to spend more time on the board here in the hopes that will help.

How sad to hear your wife is intolerant of not only your sadness, but your happiness as well.  My spouse seems to want me happy happy happy all the time, he seems quite threatened by my sadness (although he is down quite often.) BPD is certainly a difficult thing to live with.

-- Plato
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest