Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 04:36:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something so simple and profound that my T told me...  (Read 470 times)
Madison66

« on: February 20, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »

I posted a couple days ago about a breakthrough T session I had this week that helped me immensely with my recovery of the effects of the 3+ year r/s I had with my uBPD/NPD ex gf.  I was holding onto the memory of the last big confrontation we had and thinking to myself "why did I finally make such a big deal over an issue that I'd dealt with for much of the r/s?".   The details of the situation aren't important, but what my T said to me was so simple and profound.  She asked me to visualize myself that day sitting in the backseat of my car, for the hundredth or more times, feeling like my needs and feelings didn't matter.  Basically, it was about how I took a "backseat" to the needs and issues of my ex for so long.  My T said "you simply couldn't remain in the backseat taking all of the abuse, and be your true self".  "Your true self got out of the backseat, jumped in the front seat of your car (life) and drove away."  I was actually not in a r/s, but rather a need fulfillment trap.  All I can tell you is that for so long I lived my life in the "backseat" and I'm now understanding just how destructive that was to my spirit and well being.  My recovery has included also understanding why I allowed myself to remain in the backseat.  Many struggles that are now turning into the "gifts" that I will take with me for a lifetime... .
Surnia
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: 8 y married, divorced since 2012-11-22

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 02:27:28 PM »

This is really a strong picture about the backseat, Madison66! Yes, simple and profound.

And I can relate to it myself very much.

Thank you very much for sharing this!

Smiling (click to insert in post)

“Don’t shrink. Don’t puff up. Stand on your sacred ground.”  Brené Brown
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »

I was actually not in a r/s, but rather a need fulfillment trap.

I like that. Was that something the T put out there, or you? Care to expand upon that?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Madison66

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »

Yes.  My T put it out there.  She has repeated this a number of times.  Her point is that it is not a true "love r/s" without reciprocating love and need fulfillment.  It also goes back to the fact that we were living two different realities that were especially clear with the emotional, verbal and then physical abuse.  My reality was "personal power", which works by mutuality and co-creation.  Her reality was "power over", which is dominance, control and abuse.  That destroys any chance of intimacy and trust.  It is deeply imbedded in her PD and she never showed any awareness of it or the ability to change.  Sad, but true... .
Madison66

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »

Just to expand a little more, the "need fulfillment trap" was the abuse cycle which took both of us to participate in.  It also took one of us to break... .
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »

Thank you Madison66! That is good stuff to ponder. Personal power, power over... .

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
love2give

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 03:37:13 PM »

Was another bad day emotionally for me today.  I don't know when I will ever get over her or stop wanting to be with her but your post gave me some good new insight.

Thank you
winston72
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:48:19 PM »

Some very insightful concepts, Madison.  Thank you.

Staying within that image, I had chosen to be in the backseat in my BPD relationship, and I choose it in many, many other places in life.  I feel competent in the need fulfillment trap.  I feel valued there.  I think my worth in highest when I am putting out for others.  It feels safe to me.  It is less risky than making myself known and if I do it well I think I will receive love in return.  None of this is accurate, but I have been learning that I operate this way in many places in my life.

I did hit the limit with my ex.  I was having panic attacks and acute anxiety episodes from feeling trapped in that back seat. 

Gonna take a while to learn how to drive!  Silly how we grow and develop in this life... .

Tausk
Formerly "Schroeder's Piano"

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 12:16:14 AM »

My recovery has included also understanding why I allowed myself to remain in the backseat.  

Thanks for the post Mad:  I so glad to see that added the part of "I allowed myself... . " 

It was an important realization for me.  So even when the anger takes over,  sometimes I can at least direct it to where I feel some of the anger belongs, which is to myself for allowing the destruction.

But then I can also forgive myself for allowing it, because it was for the most part done with good intentions, and occurred due to childhood issues that I'm still working out.

And with that self-forgiveness I'm able to move forward and grow.  When I only blamed my ex, and didn't accept that I played my part, then there was no growth possible for myself. 

My ex didn't hold a gun to my head. She only did what she thought was right at the start.   I ran to her just as hard as she ran to me. We met in a field of wild flowers and embraces with a deep kiss to live happily ever after... .  

Thanks
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 12:40:53 AM »

Damn!  Need fulfillment trap, personal power vs power over, backseats, lotta value in this thread.  Thanks Madison!

Runnin with the car metaphor, how 'bout we drive the sedan over a cliff, upgrade to Ferraris, the ones with passenger seats but no back seats because we want equal partners, with a disorder alarm on the passenger door and a sign that reads "driver carries no codependency and demands integrity; there will be a Disorder Bus along in a minute if you roll that way."
Madison66

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 12:58:37 AM »

Damn!  Need fulfillment trap, personal power vs power over, backseats, lotta value in this thread.  Thanks Madison!

Runnin with the car metaphor, how 'bout we drive the sedan over a cliff, upgrade to Ferraris, the ones with passenger seats but no back seats because we want equal partners, with a disorder alarm on the passenger door and a sign that reads "driver carries no codependency and demands integrity; there will be a Disorder Bus along in a minute if you roll that way."

Zoom, Zoom!  I've had a week where I had a really good T session and then two separate dates with women who appear to be healthy and fun (lighthearted fun!).  I feel like I'm seeing life through different glasses and having faith that I can attract what I project.  Tomorrow could bring another struggle, but I'm ready for it... .  
arn131arn

Relationship status: living apart

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 01:10:38 AM »

Damn!  Need fulfillment trap, personal power vs power over, backseats, lotta value in this thread.  Thanks Madison!

Zoom, Zoom!  I've had a week where I had a really good T session and then two separate dates with women who appear to be healthy and fun (lighthearted fun!).  I feel like I'm seeing life through different glasses and having faith that I can attract what I project.  Tomorrow could bring another struggle, but I'm ready for it... .  

Hope my P appointment goes this well tomorrow! Isn't it so true, though?  That old cliché?  Pain is the root of all spiritual or personal growth.  I swear to God there were nights in late December, I would have sworn I wouldn't have made it this far.  

A few days ago, my replacement assisted my ex (son's mother) to her bogus RO hearing.  I had to sit and watch them laughand giggle the whole time.  If that court date was a month ago, I would have dragged him out of the courtroom by the ankles and into the parking lot and thumbed rocks in his ears, but if it wasn't for this board, my therapy, and AA, I'd been a goner weeks ago.  Would have drank myself to death, or just given up completely.

It really is about personal power, and each day I stand to fight another day, I fight for all of us, I fight for the ones undecided, the ones staying, and the new guy with his broken heart in his hands, and I absolutely loved this thread as well.

Arn
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 05:17:38 AM »

I was actually not in a r/s, but rather a need fulfillment trap.  

Nice.

Thank you.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Rosehip

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 05:15:27 PM »

Madison66 thank you so much for sharing this. It makes so much sense.

We really need to give ourselves credit for having the spirit to take the necessary action to get out of the back seat.

It's such a positive image to hold on to.

nevaeh

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »

This is a wonderful analogy. 

Thank you so much for sharing! 

I also like the comment about why we have "allowed ourselves" to remain in the backseat for so long.

I am still stuck in the push pull, but hoping to get out of it soon... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest