Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:04:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What I Don't Understand  (Read 351 times)
willy45
Formerly "johnnyorganic", "rjh45", "SurferDude"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 18, 2014, 10:16:07 PM »

So, I'm feeling much better. Thank you all for all your support. I seem to have found some footing again in the real world. Still depressed but am realizing now it doesn't have anything to do with her, really. I knew to not respond to her. I had been doing so well. I thought I was done. I guess I forgot or something.

What I don't understand is why I hurt so badly? I don't even really like this person (my ex). I like parts of her. But as a whole, she was terrible. There is no way I would ever want to get married to her, let alone have children. There are so, so many things I let slide because I thought I really didn't care about her that much and that I wouldn't be with her for the long haul anyways. Could I be hurting still BECAUSE I let them slide? Because I didn't confront them or just run the opposite direction? At the time, I let them slide because I was like 'whatever, I'll be out of here soon enough' and there wasn't any hope of resolving things anyways. I tried that. That failed. Every time.

I'm wondering now if I hurt this badly because I let these things happen to me. Today I started thinking about all the weird things she would do in terms of other men. Constantly flirting with men in front of me. I remember she told me a story about sharing a cab home with some married guy and he was all over her and she told him to stop (apparently). And then i remember she invited us all out for drinks. And then when we left, she was worried that she was acting weird. And he was surprised that she had a boyfriend. It was odd. This guy was nowhere close to me in terms of looks or career. He just seemed like some frumpy government guy. Something seemed very off, but I let it slide because I didn't care enough to ask her anything more about it. But now, I'm furious.

Anyhow, there are millions of times like these that I just ignored because I thought she was crazy and that I didn't care enough about her to let it impact me. Maybe now I'm just starting to realize how much it really hurt me. Makes me want to lash out at her. Maybe my depression now is a result of feeling like I let it happen. And I picked up the phone again. And basically let it happen again a few weeks ago.

I guess the good news is that I'm back to a place where I know for sure she isn't good for me (or probably for anyone for that matter), that she is a really messed up person that in the long run I'm better off for not being contact with ever. That's the good thing. I'm also starting to see that the hurt I feel has nothing to do with her, really. And she is absolutely not the source of curing it. She can only hurt me and, I think, underneath all her sweetness and phony 'I love you's', she really deep down wants to know that she can hurt me. I think she gets a thrill off it. That's how bad a person I think she is. It has taken a while to get here but I unfortunately think that is true. She is such a hurt, wrecked person that she actually feels better about herself by making others feel worse.

Anyhow, I'm just rambling. I guess I'm answering my own question. Taking the abuse, despite always having one foot out the door, took its toll on me. And I'm bummed that I let that happen. And I guess I'm a little worried that I will continue to let it happen either with her or with someone else.
myself

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:37:43 PM »

We didn't just LET it happen. We helped make it happen.

The way to not have that happen again is to be responsible for ourselves.

Sometimes those rear view mirrors are like blinders to where we're going.
willy45

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:50:33 PM »

Not sure if I see the difference... .

I guess what I mean by letting it happen is not sticking up for myself or my boundaries and ignoring all the hurtful crazy. I didn't make her crazy, if that is what you mean. She was bat ___ crazy when I met her... . in fact probably crazier. What do you mean by making it happen?
HappyNihilist

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:26:32 PM »

So, I'm feeling much better. Thank you all for all your support. I seem to have found some footing again in the real world. Still depressed but am realizing now it doesn't have anything to do with her, really. I knew to not respond to her. I had been doing so well. I thought I was done. I guess I forgot or something.

I'm so glad you're feeling better. 

Healing starts when we focus on ourselves. You have been doing well, and you'll continue to do so. Sometimes we do need reminders.

What I don't understand is why I hurt so badly? I don't even really like this person (my ex). I like parts of her. But as a whole, she was terrible. There is no way I would ever want to get married to her, let alone have children.

It hurts when a r/s ends, and it hurts even more when we feel like everything we believed as truth during that r/s is in question. Add to that the realization that this person is toxic for us -- but that we, even as rational adults, are somehow addicted to them -- and we have the added pain of having sacrificed an essential part of ourselves in some way.

You're using your pain as a way to explore yourself, your needs, your concept of r/s's... . so, even though it hurts like Hades, it will serve as a positive turning point in your life.

There are so, so many things I let slide because I thought I really didn't care about her that much and that I wouldn't be with her for the long haul anyways. Could I be hurting still BECAUSE I let them slide? Because I didn't confront them or just run the opposite direction? At the time, I let them slide because I was like 'whatever, I'll be out of here soon enough' and there wasn't any hope of resolving things anyways. I tried that. That failed. Every time.

I'm wondering now if I hurt this badly because I let these things happen to me. Today I started thinking about all the weird things she would do in terms of other men. Constantly flirting with men in front of me. I remember she told me a story about sharing a cab home with some married guy and he was all over her and she told him to stop (apparently). And then i remember she invited us all out for drinks. And then when we left, she was worried that she was acting weird. And he was surprised that she had a boyfriend. It was odd. This guy was nowhere close to me in terms of looks or career. He just seemed like some frumpy government guy. Something seemed very off, but I let it slide because I didn't care enough to ask her anything more about it. But now, I'm furious.

Anyhow, there are millions of times like these that I just ignored because I thought she was crazy and that I didn't care enough about her to let it impact me. Maybe now I'm just starting to realize how much it really hurt me. Makes me want to lash out at her. Maybe my depression now is a result of feeling like I let it happen. And I picked up the phone again. And basically let it happen again a few weeks ago.

I think you've found a big piece of the puzzle here. You say several times that you "let things slide" because you "didn't care enough" about her or the r/s to enforce boundaries. It seems like you're realizing that you did care a lot about her and the r/s -- enough that it has had a huge impact on you.

Why do you think you wound up caring so much, despite telling yourself you didn't? Why were you so insistent to yourself during the r/s that you "didn't care that much" and "weren't in it for the long haul"? Did that help you maintain a sense of distance? Could it be that a major source of pain now is the knowledge that you weren't as emotionally detached as you thought you were?

I guess the good news is that I'm back to a place where I know for sure she isn't good for me (or probably for anyone for that matter), that she is a really messed up person that in the long run I'm better off for not being contact with ever. That's the good thing. I'm also starting to see that the hurt I feel has nothing to do with her, really. And she is absolutely not the source of curing it. She can only hurt me and, I think, underneath all her sweetness and phony 'I love you's', she really deep down wants to know that she can hurt me. I think she gets a thrill off it. That's how bad a person I think she is. It has taken a while to get here but I unfortunately think that is true. She is such a hurt, wrecked person that she actually feels better about herself by making others feel worse.

Here you go. A lot of your pain is based on the challenge to your own beliefs and perceptions -- about yourself, about this particular r/s, about what you need in a r/s (and life) overall.

Take her out of the equation. I know that's far easier said than done -- I mean it as more of a mental exercise than a command to go forth and live thusly.   Say, "This is a damaged/disordered person whose validation and/or input is irrelevant to me." Focus on what this r/s and the end of it has made you confront in yourself. Deal with yourself one-on-one.

Anyhow, I'm just rambling. I guess I'm answering my own question. Taking the abuse, despite always having one foot out the door, took its toll on me. And I'm bummed that I let that happen. And I guess I'm a little worried that I will continue to let it happen either with her or with someone else.

Rambling is one of the best ways to find the answers to our own questions.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

You're on the right track to learning how not to let it happen again.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
AwakenedOne

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 12:21:01 AM »

She was bat ___ crazy when I met her... . in fact probably crazier.

Smiling (click to insert in post)Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
willy45

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 12:36:52 AM »

YES! Thank you for this reply. Very much appreciated.

I was 1/2 out of the relationship the entire time. The 1/2 in was totally in, if that makes any sense. But there was always a part of me that knew this wasn't right. Even when we started. She cheated on her last BF with at least 4 or 5 other guys. And she was only with him for a year. H*ll, she even cheated on him with me. Why did I think she wouldn't cheat on me, I have no idea. Or, maybe in the back of mind, I knew she would/could. I never have proof of this... . just very odd behavior. She told me not to ever worry about her cheating on me because I would never find out anyways. Reassuring, eh? Once we went to a sauna thing were nudity was allowed. She was in a bathing suit and there there were all these old naked men hanging out in the hot tub. She lay up and exposed her breasts (still in a bathing suit) and just lay there as these old naked men stared at her. When she got out, she looked at me and said: I really get off on the power. That's ___ed up. Anyhow, there are too many of these kinds of stories to get into here. Maybe I should post about it seperately as a way to purge myself of them. But, it sure made me feel ___ty.

One of the most convenient excuses she had for her raging and abusive weirdness was the very fact that wasn't committed. I didn't move in with her. I didn't move cities for her. I didn't ask her to marry me. This was her easy scapegoat for why she would blow up at me all the time. But I didn't commit to her BECAUSE she would blow up at me all the time. And her blow ups never made any sense. I would pet a dog (BLOW UP). I would be stuck in traffic trying to pick her up (BLOW UP). I would roll over in my sleep (BLOW UP). She would be an hour late (BLOW UP). I didn't think the movie The Artists deserved the same rating as Citizen Cane (BLOW UP). I invited her to watch a basketball game and when I was paying attention to said game (BLOW UP). I had clothes on the floor (BLOW UP). I didn't want to take my bike on the metro (BLOW UP... . FOLLOWING BY 2 HOURS OF CRYING). I checked my email (BLOW UP). I was groggy in the morning (BLOW UP). I have hundreds of these... . You have all been there. Nonsensical random rages and screaming at the top of her lungs. Calling me all kinds of things. And then a request to not be mean to her.

The fact that I didn't commit to her was constantly used as an excuse for these episodes. But What the heck. That makes absolutely no sense at all. When I slept beside her, she would feel like 'the walls are closing in on her'. So, being close to her in a real way only made it worse. Again, a surprisingly unsurprising thing to realize on these boards. Her behavior fits this stuff to a T.

And YES to not needing her to validate my thoughts and experience. That is the crazy in me that I need to explore. Why do I seek the validation of a crazy, abusive, cheating, emotionally stunted, empathetically challenged person? Because we had great sex? That makes no sense. Because we were very close? Nope. We were only close when she wasn't completely emotionally disregulating. And we ONLY remained close because I wasn't committed because I always had an out. I never really let it impact me that much during the time together. It has only been after that the impacts have been felt.

So, why did I stay?

1) Because the sex was awesome, until it wasn't. And it was intermittent. Awesome sex interspersed with really weird emotional stuff and manipulations. (SEE OLD NAKED MAN STORY ABOVE AS A SAMPLER and also her constantly grabbing my head to gaze deeply into her eyes... . creepy).

2) Because I thought she would kill herself if I left (I know... . she probably wouldn't have) but I wanted to leave when there wasn't a crisis point (which only happened when I did leave... . she finally had a job... . ).

3) Because I didn't think I cared enough about her. That is so weird to me know. I wasted so much time and energy. And now all the hurtful things and swirling in my head

All in all, this has been a terrible experience. But one that I can learn from. I can learn why I stayed and what keeps me stuck in the place I am now. I clearly have very low self-esteem despite being wildly successful, totally ripped, and good looking. I don't think much of myself. I can't look in the mirror. I constantly berate myself. I fear my own mind and what it does. I too easily take the blame for everything and anyone. I really don't like myself very much at all. And it doesn't make any sense why. I have GREAT friends, friends I've had since I was 5 years old. I have a GREAT family. I have tons of money. Hobbies that I love. A super interesting job. People really like me a lot.

This is what the ending of the r/s has brought to me. And it has nothing to do with her. What she thinks of me is of no consequence at all.

I was embarassed at the way I acted when she called and embarased about what I said. Angry at myself for opening up to her about why I still hurt and why her contacting me hurt me. I was shocked at myself that I didn't learn my lesson earlier. I was pissed that I gave her exactly what she wanted, some drama to fill her void and a boost knowing she could still hurt me. But, I wrote on a piece of paper that despite all this, my behavior this time might have led to this being over forever. And who the h*ll cares what she thinks or feels. Who cares if she got a kick out of it. Who cares if she never thinks of me again. WHO CARES WHAT THIS EMOTIONALLY DAMAGED PERSON THINKS! Not me. If that is what it takes for her to never contact me again, GREAT! I'm better off for it. I know that I will never contact her. I have that power over myself to never start down that road. I haven't in the past 1.5 years since I told her to F off. The only problem I have had is not responding when she reaches out. In that department, I've been 80% good. So, if it takes her thinking all this stuff about me being love sick over her and desperate to get back together with her, fine. Go for it. If the result is never hearing from her again. AWESOMENESS!

Thanks for the reply. I will keep that mantra in my head whenever I hear her critical voice in my mind.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest