Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 11:27:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being nice and then what?  (Read 444 times)
aviator7

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: 5+ yrs, now over

« on: April 24, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »

So I had a tumultuous breakup with my EXPBD BF in July of last year.   He immediately hooked up with someone from match.com a couple of months later.  In December I tried to drop off things on his porch and he ran out and wanted to talk.   We basically "cleared the air" and then he told me how he was in a relationship of convenience and he didnt care for her as she really has nothing to offer. He now noticed all of the things about me that he missed and valued now that I am gone.   He already knows that he will never find anyone like me, and so on.

I let it go and moved on.   The last few months I have been feeling excellent, positive mood, progress in all aspects of my life.  Then this weekend he sends me a text asking how I was doing.   We began a conversation and then led to a phone call.   He emotionally dumploaded how he thinks about me every day, he still has this connection that he hasnt had with anyone else... . and how his current "relationship" (if that is what you call it) is completely void of any kind of stimulation.  He said that he has been talking to his close friends about what to do because she is "nice" (arent they all at first) and he knows it will be painful for her, but he just doesnt feel anything.  He wanted us to be friends and after speaking with a counselor, I agreed to do so.  I did make it perfectly clear, that I would not be looking for any kind of relationship with him now or in the future.  This was all fine and dandy while he was away on work.  2 days later when he gets back in town, I dont hear anything from him and he is shacked up with the same person who supposedly has nothing to offer him.

I was enraged.   How can you pour your heart out to someone and say that they mean the world to you and then just ignore them when you are with someone that means nothing to you.

This isnt a jealousy issue as she is completely lacking of morals, self respect, intellect, education or dynamics.  Additionally, she looks like a motley crue groupie, stripper wanna be and the same use and mental capacity of a blow up doll.

I was pissed as I came to the conclusion that he tried to utilize me to fulfill the 90% of the components he was lacking in his current relationship.  Additionally, he is concerned with hurting her feelings over mine.   This whole situation made me question the validity of his "heartfelt comments" to me.

A few things:  I dont want him back, but will NOT play second fiddle to anyone and clearly not someone that he dug out of the trash.

I find it strange that he seems to push harder in the relationship with her after he has had contact with me.

I confronted him yesterday and said that I refuse to be a part of this Jerry Springer drama.   He said that he was trying to find a way to break up with her.   Really?   You either do it or you dont.

I am both extremely hurt, pissed, disrespected, and have no idea what to do. I also told him that I was pissed that all of the BS that I had to endure within the 5 years of his miserable stressful life, that someone (who is clearly unworthy) is getting to benefit now that his life is in order... . I made it clear that I already had people I was seeing but I actually have standards when I make my choices, so I have been moving forward but it is in process.

In closing, I also had pleasure in saying that I felt great and that this encounter happened to be the perfect situation - He confesses that he loves me still, while wasting time in a useless relationship which gives me time to meet the right person and move on in a healthy relationship.

(two can play at that game)

1.  Is this what they usually do to fuel their current joke of a relationship?

2.  If he is already not happy in his current relationship what is going to be the turning point?

(This girl has no self esteem so she just does whatever he wants).   I just cant see the boat being rocked and apparently he isnt going to leave. 

3.  Is it possible that his relationship will last a while due to the fact that she has low standards, will deal with whatever and he has no reason to leave?
seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »

So, if you are friends with someone who is BPD - best bet to study the staying  board so you can learn the skills of:  boundaries, depersonalizing, communication - critical to being friends

Are you this concerned when other friends do one thing then say another?  How do you handle them?

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack
12BarBlues

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:44:58 PM »

I know the absolute rage and confusion you are feeling. This is how a recycle starts. If there were a textbook this would be the first chapter. They creep back into your life... . if you let them. When faced with this myself the best strategy I used was to NOT believe anything that is said about how they are feeling or what the status of their current attachment is. When you keep NC strong you wont get a chance to hear any of it anyway. You state very strong boundaries in the fact that you will not play second fiddle nor should you! Having standards is healthy as well and do not settle for anything less than what you feel is right for you.

Do not worry about him leaving her or what kind of person he is with. Better her than you right? When you try to apply emotional logic to a disordered person there's nothing but confusion and setbacks awaiting you. Not only is he not happy in his current relationship, he will have extreme difficulty in being happy in ANY relationship. Ask yourself is this the relationship you want? With a person who may never be happy? You stated that you told him you did not and that probably triggered him to try harder. She isn't unworthy of him, he is unworthy of you!  

aviator7

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »

Good point.   Don't believe ANYTHING they say.   It could be the truth, but most likely what are the chances that it is and if it IS the truth, it is defined through the eyes of a borderline and they extract things from a different dictionary than the rest of the world.   What we know as love, empathy, etc... . are viewed differently in the eyes of a Borderline.

I want him to fail in his current situation as it will be validation for me, subsequent ones wont matter.

This may sound selfish, however; I endured 5 years of the slow whittling away of every ounce of my energy, self esteem, and yes even my health and at least I am truthful about my thoughts.

I appreciate all of the feedback, I pick up a lot of useful tips that help me combat various negative thought patterns  Smiling (click to insert in post) 

Waifed

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:58:23 PM »

2.  If he is already not happy in his current relationship what is going to be the turning point?

(This girl has no self esteem so she just does whatever he wants).   I just cant see the boat being rocked and apparently he isnt going to leave. 

3.  Is it possible that his relationship will last a while due to the fact that she has low standards, will deal with whatever and he has no reason to leave?

I hate to say this but there is a good chance he said these exact same things to this replacement when they first started talking... . It is survival.  They (not all) must have a source of supply waiting in the wings.  Being just another source was probably one of the hardest things I have had to accept.  When you pour your heart and soul into someone only to realize that you are just an object to them, it hurts and is so hard to comprehend.  Be strong and continue healing.  Unless he has had intense therapy you will be returning to the exact same person as before.
willy45
Formerly "johnnyorganic", "rjh45", "SurferDude"

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:27:58 PM »

Holy Cow Aviator 7, Please read my posts.

The exact same thing happened to me about a month ago. Exact same words... . How she will never find anyone who understands her like I do, how I am the only person who cares about she has to say, I am her best friend in the entire world, she loves me, and on and on and on. Same ___. But, she tells me, we can't be together because she is in another relationship, and even then, she doesn't know if she would want to be with me. So I was like... . why are you telling me all this stuff? Her answer: Oh, they are just words.

Don't listen to a word this guys is saying. The guy is nuts and will say whatever to get whatever it is he wants.

Your instincts are probably correct. He isn't getting what he wants out of his current relationship so wants you around to fill that void. The GREAT part about this is he doesn't care how YOU feel. He wants it. He'll say whatever crazy bull___ to keep you around and hooked and he will also keep this other chick around. And he will play each of you off each other in his own mind so that he has a 'fulfilling' relationship. Basically, he is using you. Sorry to blunt. But that's what's going on. Don't fall for his words. They are just words. His actions obviously speak something else.
HappyNihilist

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 11:17:52 PM »

I want him to fail in his current situation as it will be validation for me, subsequent ones wont matter.

This may sound selfish, however; I endured 5 years of the slow whittling away of every ounce of my energy, self esteem, and yes even my health and at least I am truthful about my thoughts.

It's perfectly fine to be selfish; we have to be selfish at times to take care of ourselves. And there's nothing wrong with any of the feelings you're having. It's good that you're recognizing them and processing them for yourself.

In what way would his failure in his current r/s be validation for you? Could you expand on that feeling a little more?

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »

Excerpt
He already knows that he will never find anyone like me

Was this what you wanted to hear? And upon hearing it, did it make you wonder why he was with another woman while he was still so attached to you? Did it also make you feel angry? After all, he moved “immediately” into a new relationship. And he got himself into something that he claims now he can’t get out of. Doesn't that sound like a helpless Man?

When he simultaneously devalued another woman it caused you to overvalue yourself. He’s telling you you’re better than her, and what are you supposed to do about it? Do you think there is a reason why he said this that might be part fantasy? Of yearning for reunion with perceived good?

Excerpt
I let it go and moved on. The last few months I have been feeling excellent, positive mood, progress in all aspects of my life.

Actually, I let it go and moved on should read: I waited, knowing that he preferred me over her. I felt better while feeling superior to her. I held out hope that he would see the error of his ways and break up with her?

Excerpt
Then this weekend He emotionally dumploaded how he thinks about me every day, he still has this connection that he hasnt had with anyone else... . and how his current "relationship" (if that is what you call it) is completely void of any kind of stimulation.

You are helping him devalue his relationship to offload stress. The fact that you did that is telling. That must have made you feel somewhat superior but also incredibly angry.

Excerpt
He said that he has been talking to his close friends about what to do because she is "nice" (arent they all at first) and he knows it will be painful for her, but he just doesnt feel anything.

Rather than discussing it with her, he’s talking to his close friends behind his girlfriend’s back. He’s also decided to recycle you into the gossip because…? No offense to you, but why would you want to be with someone who is talking behind a woman’s back, a woman that you think you are somewhat superior to- otherwise you'd realize that what he does to her - he'll also do to you? There isn’t much loyalty to her it seems, but it does give the appearance that he’s loyal to you. Don’t you see this as hypocritical as well as misleading? BPD is a pattern of behavior of interpersonal instability. (That applies to every partner.)

Excerpt
I did make it perfectly clear, that I would not be looking for any kind of relationship with him now or in the future.

So you are merely his “friend” who counsels him concerning leaving a relationship? What if he wants to stay? Shouldn’t that also be his choice?

Excerpt
I dont hear anything from him and he is shacked up with the same person who supposedly has nothing to offer him.

Why does this make you angry if you do not wish to have a relationship with him?

Excerpt
I was enraged. How can you pour your heart out to someone and say that they mean the world to you and then just ignore them when you are with someone that means nothing to you.

OK, now we are getting somewhere. And now that his other relationship appears to mean something, you feel enraged because he is talking out of both sides of his mouth. But, what happened to “making it perfectly clear that you would not be looking for any kind of relationship with him now or in the future?” Being enraged sounds like you are very attached to his valuation of you and desire more than he can give.

Excerpt
This isnt a jealousy issue as she is completely lacking of morals, self respect, intellect, education or dynamics.

If that’s not jealousy then it is most certainly judgment against her. What do you suppose is the need for your judgment? Does it keep you hooked in any way?

Eventually you'll have to come to terms with the disorder and how it works. It treats everyone with equal opportunity and given time and self reflection you'll find out your Achilles heel concerning your own idea of superiority. Try not to compare yourself as better than the current partner because really there is no “better” person for disordered thought. It exists despite the partner. It is a common draw though for partners to believe they are superior to others concerning the needs of the Borderline.

Borderlines cannot be alone but they also cannot be with someone that they constantly feel *needs* their reflective admiration. This is too much like subjugation to them, especially when their efforts are failing to deliver a dose of self esteem and admiration to the want of the partner, creating anger in the partner and frustration to the Borderline. The partner that gets worried about the withdrawing BPD will often chastise the BPD for failure to deliver the *needed* dose of esteem which plays right into both parties defectiveness schemas. Does that make sense concerning your rage?

That's when BPD's find new people to mirror- one's that don't complain- (at least not while they are being overvalued.)

Excerpt
Additionally, she looks like a motley crue groupie, stripper wanna be and the same use and mental capacity of a blow up doll.

Dehumanizing her takes allot of the blame off of him, doesn’t it? Dehumanizing her also elevates the feeling that you are more valuable and he needs you more than her. Women who are still attached to an ex are often very unkind to the new girlfriend, blithely ignoring the relationship by calling it a “joke,” or responding aggressively against the girlfriend whom the Borderline claims is on her way out.  That’s tag teaming on the drama triangle with victim and rescuer against the persecutor. Unfortunately, this is a game of musical chairs. You will be victimized in the end when you least expect it.

Borderlines can have many relationships at the same time because they are fragmented personalities. These relationships can be lush and exotic or they can be cerebral and chaste. They can take and give back double time in fantasy and longing during separations from you- while being physically intimate with another person behind your back. In truth, Borderlines are like shapeshifters according to whom they reflect. This should not imply that someone deserves to be hurt- but those that are called into this have inventory to do. What it does bring to light is the "reflected" personalities and what they desire.

So, if someone “completely lacking of morals, self respect, intellect, education or dynamics, that  looks like a motley crue groupie, stripper wanna be with the same use and mental capacity of a blow up doll” is on the menu, then that personality will be evaluated by the Borderline according to needs.

Why would you want to be with someone who does not share your ideals or changes them according to who their partner is at the moment?

Many people refuse to consider that they were objectified in the relationship- and remain steadfast in the aftermath with their ideas of reference concerning their idealization.  Those people will continually bargain with the one person they perceive holds their mirror- and refuse to acknowledge the disordered agreement this entails with a disordered person. Soon it becomes an addictive quest for both parties. This is where pathology comes into play, because Borderline moves back and forth between withdrawing and rewarding objectification. Understand which part you play and then step out of the pathology. It’s your only way out of the dysfunction.

Excerpt
he tried to utilize me to fulfill the 90% of the components he was lacking in his current relationship.

No. He was using you as a safety valve. Have you ever considered that he is telling you what you want to hear because it makes him feel good too? If he did this to you on purpose to “fulfill” something lacking, it is his own unstable sense of self. If you realize this as his neediness, then you must understand your own need to feel special as well.

Excerpt
Additionally, he is concerned with hurting her feelings over mine.

He’s not concerned with either of your feelings. He’s concerned with avoiding pain.

Excerpt
This whole situation made me question the validity of his "heartfelt comments" to me.

As you should.

Excerpt
A few things: I dont want him back, but will NOT play second fiddle to anyone and clearly not someone that he dug out of the trash.

This is known as a transformation of aggression against a third party who you perceive to be standing in the way. Not only does this redirect the blame away from him- it also heightens the jealousy felt by you towards the other woman.  Meanwhile, he gets *you* to devalue the other woman so he can feel better about himself- you feel better about yourself because *you aren't like her* and he plays the both of you like a fiddle and remains in business with you both.

This back and forth can go on and on indefinitely, stealing away your precious life while you wait for another call from him. It can also stop you from actually doing anything else but waiting, anticipating the demise of their relationship due to her lack of perfection and obsessing over your own -while offering suggestions and waiting and hoping over whether or not they will be fulfilled.  They won’t. This is a disorder. It is working with your participation. Let go.

Deep inside that working disorder is your “waiting,” which are expectations of your fulfillment. If you close the door to him, you run the risk of eliminating that expectation of your fulfillment. Denial, Anger, Bargaining, and Acceptance. This expectation of fulfillment is right smack dab in the stage called bargaining and it’s swirling back and forth from anger because at the moment you perceive someone else to be at blame for your "waiting."

Stop waiting. This is about you now.

Excerpt
I find it strange that he seems to push harder in the relationship with her after he has had contact with me.

No, he returns to her after using you as a safety valve. How did you describe it? He does an “emotional dump load” on you. You are very useful in that regard.

Excerpt
I confronted him yesterday. He said that he was trying to find a way to break up with her. Really? You either do it or you dont.

What happened to : “I did make it perfectly clear, that I would not be looking for any kind of relationship with him now or in the future?“

Excerpt
all of the BS that I had to endure within the 5 years of his miserable stressful life, that someone (who is clearly unworthy) is getting to benefit now that his life is in order... .

This is not a “life in order.”  It is dysfunction on the drama triangle, keeping you hooked with malignant hope and uncertainty.

Excerpt
I made it clear that I already had people I was seeing

That’s sort of an ultimatum, isn’t it? About your desire to no longer wait and your need to pull the outcome closer?

Excerpt
(two can play at that game)

You cannot play games with a disordered person without becoming disordered yourself.

Excerpt
1.Is this what they usually do to fuel their current joke of a relationship?

It’s not a joke unless you believe it is.

Excerpt
2.If he is already not happy in his current relationship what is going to be the turning point?

He wasn’t able to have a satisfactory relationship with you either and this is a blind spot for you. There is only a turning point when he can be alone and delve into why he thinks Triangulation is a valid way to survive his anxiety. What will be your turning point? What will it take for you to stop waiting for him and come to acceptance of the disorder? Revenge dating isn't the answer.

Excerpt
(This girl has no self esteem so she just does whatever he wants). I just cant see the boat being rocked apparently he isnt going to leave.

It appears that you are both in the same boat. I don’t see you leaving either unless you start answering the hard questions about why you feel superior to her without the realization that neither one of you has love, trust and stability with this Man despite the disparities you perceive in your own value.

Excerpt
3.Is it possible that his relationship will last a while due to the fact that she has low standards, will deal with whatever and he has no reason to leave?

What you need and I need and we all need on this forum, is radical acceptance of the disorder. Radical acceptance involves *feeling* your feelings, accepting the *change* of letting go instead of holding on to the malignant hope that Borderline personality disorder doesn’t exist. It also means accepting the *uncertainty versus hope* as a part of bargaining and moving through your anger about that. That anger also involves unfair comparisons with another human being who is more similar to you than you may realize. Not realizing this similarity causes you to remain competitively in play like a chess piece in the disordered thought of a Man who cannot express himself appropriately in actions. You are very useful in that regard to express disdain about her for him. Very useful.

Letting go also means *letting go of the outcome of the Borderline’s attachments*.  This is especially painful as jealousy can be when thinking about the other woman involved and your comparison to her.   There are ALWAYS other people involved when you are with a Borderline. The disorder demands that they compulsively line up BENCHWARMERS. The fantasy is that everyone thinks they are a starting quarterback only to find out that someone else is in the game (that you may have never even heard of before) Meanwhile you’ve been eyeing someone else as a rival who was being played just like you are.

This is a disorder. It has to be changed from within, not from well-meaning others doing the work for them.

Detaching is the letting go of the loss of idealization and being alone without the distraction of the Borderline’s tease to get you back into the game.

Every time the Borderline does this, they utilize the notion of false hope that they can give you back your idealized self. You're going to have to radically accept that what worked in the beginning made you feel worse in the end.  That is, your idea of reference about yourself as superior to fulfill the Borderline's needs.

Being saddened, grieving the loss of idealized love (for yourself) and utilizing new hope for happiness without the Borderline in your life are the ways to support yourself instead of holding on to hope for the Borderline's return to idealize for you.

Radical acceptance is the only way, but it's also the loneliest- because you have to let go of the fantasy that this person represented; the mirror of your good. You’ll have to give that to yourself.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

HappyNihilist

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 12:34:42 AM »

Borderlines can have many relationships at the same time because they are fragmented personalities. These relationships can be lush and exotic or they can be cerebral and chaste. They can take and give back double time in fantasy and longing during separations from you- while being physically intimate with another person behind your back. In truth, Borderlines are like shapeshifters according to whom they reflect. This should not imply that someone deserves to be hurt- but those that are called into this have inventory to do. What it does bring to light is the "reflected" personalities and what they desire.

Many people refuse to consider that they were objectified in the relationship- and remain steadfast in the aftermath with their ideas of reference concerning their idealization.  Those people will continually bargain with the one person they perceive holds their mirror- and refuse to acknowledge the disordered agreement this entails with a disordered person. Soon it becomes an addictive quest for both parties. This is where pathology comes into play, because Borderline moves back and forth between withdrawing and rewarding objectification. Understand which part you play and then step out of the pathology. It’s your only way out of the dysfunction.

This is a tough one, all right. Accepting that you're not really "special." That you were never a real person to them, but rather a chimera of fantasy, past experiences, and need-fulfillment.
aviator7

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 08:08:09 AM »

Hi 2010!   Thank you for your suggestions and insight.   As an answer to your question of why I feel superior to her, it is quite simple:

I pride myself on being educated, motivated, dynamic, physically fit, spiritual, a good parent, loyal, have integrity a self esteem and morals.   I am responsible for my growth and have been solely responsible for all of the successes in my life.  Which is more than I can say for many people, and YES I am very satisfied with the developments in myself.

This person is void in all of these qualities.  In fact, I would not even want to be seen with this individual as to her lack of character and a reflection on me...    A person you are dating is a reflection of you.  That being said this circles back to me and makes me feel degraded and embarrassed... .

The reality is that he doesn't have the capability to even see the difference in value between a mercedes and an escort (so to speak) therefore; I shouldn't have expected anything different.
going places

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 08:36:22 AM »

Excerpt

It has nothing to do with either relationship.

He's hedging his bets.

Could be 'she' is getting keen to his ways and is is pulling away, so HE NEEDS that plan 'b' back up, and that happens to be you in his mind.

Actions speak louder than words.

He can say whatever, but his actions speak truth.

IMHO? Don't ever talk to him again... . ever.

Excerpt

That's because he preys on the weak. Those he can easily manipulate and control.

Those he can gas light and and control.

He is a really bad dude.

I would cut off ALL contact with him at once. He is poison.

Excerpt

He's ALWAYS looking for the 'bigger better deal'.

Always.

He is ONLY looking out for himself.

Remember, if he will 'go behind her back and 'confess his love' to you / tell you what a worthless relationship he's in YET GOES HOME TO HER (receiving all the benefits she has to offer) and she has no idea he's out being a scum bag while she thinks everything is ok?

Yeah, he's done it / doing it / will do it to you too.

Always be leery of someone who will run another person down in the dirt / cheat on them / defame their character to you.

Because they WILL NOT HESITATE treat you the exact same way.
BorisAcusio

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 08:44:31 AM »

So I had a tumultuous breakup with my EXPBD BF in July of last year.   He immediately hooked up with someone from match.com a couple of months later.  In December I tried to drop off things on his porch and he ran out and wanted to talk.   We basically "cleared the air" and then he told me how he was in a relationship of convenience and he didnt care for her as she really has nothing to offer. He now noticed all of the things about me that he missed and valued now that I am gone.   He already knows that he will never find anyone like me, and so on.

I let it go and moved on.   The last few months I have been feeling excellent, positive mood, progress in all aspects of my life.  Then this weekend he sends me a text asking how I was doing.   We began a conversation and then led to a phone call.   He emotionally dumploaded how he thinks about me every day, he still has this connection that he hasnt had with anyone else... . and how his current "relationship" (if that is what you call it) is completely void of any kind of stimulation.  He said that he has been talking to his close friends about what to do because she is "nice" (arent they all at first) and he knows it will be painful for her, but he just doesnt feel anything.  He wanted us to be friends and after speaking with a counselor, I agreed to do so.  I did make it perfectly clear, that I would not be looking for any kind of relationship with him now or in the future.  This was all fine and dandy while he was away on work.  2 days later when he gets back in town, I dont hear anything from him and he is shacked up with the same person who supposedly has nothing to offer him.

I was enraged.   How can you pour your heart out to someone and say that they mean the world to you and then just ignore them when you are with someone that means nothing to you.

This isnt a jealousy issue as she is completely lacking of morals self respect , intellect, education or dynamics. Additionally, she looks like a motley crue groupie, stripper wanna be and the same use and mental capacity of a blow up doll.

Your ex BF apparently lacks those qualities too, most likely way more deficient than his new victim. BPD was labeled moral insanity back in 19th century, for a reason.

HappyNihilist

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »

This person is void in all of these qualities.  In fact, I would not even want to be seen with this individual as to her lack of character and a reflection on me...    A person you are dating is a reflection of you.  That being said this circles back to me and makes me feel degraded and embarrassed... .

How does your ex's new girlfriend's character make you feel degraded and embarrassed?

Is it because you loved this person, and were validated by his love in some way? And now that he is with someone you see as "inferior" to yourself, somehow that invalidates you? You are giving both him and her too much power here.

When dealing with BPD or BPD-trait r/s's, the person you are dating is not so much a reflection of you as they are a reflection of your needs. This is definitely the case for the pwBPD (that's all r/s's are to them, really) -- and the case for the partner involved.

What did you need from this man and this r/s? What is this truly saying about who you are and what you need in life?
Hurtbeyondrepair27

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: single (1 month)

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 08:25:53 PM »

Do you know this girl personally? If not these are all judgements. How can you view yourself as "superior" to anyone? I would look into that. Anyway, if you dont know,her and you are basing your presumptions off of hos description have ya thought about the fact that he may be smear campaigning her and youre contributing to it?

Just because you are educated fit ect... . Does npt male you a better human being than anyone else which is essentially what that means when we label ourselves as superior to another human being. Sorry if this is atracking but maybe try a bite of humble pie.

I just have no tolerance for that your words for her are really harsh. I mean come on, have some empathy for her. Her boyfriend is going to his ex and not only smearing  her as a person but is emotionally cheating on her.

Do you really think she deserves your judgments and belittling? if youre truly working on yourself as you say I would take a cold hard look at my superiority complex.

Sorry but just calling it as I see it.

goldylamont

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 03:52:53 AM »

i have to basically agree with everything 2010 said to a "T".

aviator7, here's the deal--i'm not doubting that 'on paper' you very well could be much more of a catch than your ex's current gf. but the only blessing in this is for you to understand two things--one that the issue wasn't that you were lacking in certain qualities since he obviously didn't replace you with someone better in this regard. and two, if who a person dates is a reflection of who they are and you see so much negative in her then why don't you see the same in him?

2010 is right, this guy is playing both of you both like a fiddle, using your superiority so that he can happily devalue his current gf and also get compliance and attention from you. people mention here that he will do the same thing to you--i'd revise this to say he's already done the same thing to you and he's also doing it right now, you just don't see it. take every sh**ty thing he is saying about his gf--he's saying them about you... but you don't realize this as you are distracted.

again, i'm not saying that you are incorrect. hell, maybe you are hotter in all aspects than his current gf. regardless, you are being controlled just as much as she is (kind of levels things out intellectually) and worse you are now an active participant in his abusive triangle. my ex hooked up with a pretty dusty guy immediately after we broke up--and like you i just know he didn't measure up. but i did not degrade him or think he was a bad guy. i saw it for what it was, he was being lied to, he was easier to control than i was because of his stage in the r/s and he was p-whipped. the fact that i didn't feel threatened by his status or his looks was a lucky blessing for me, but i never fooled myself into thinking he was the terrible person, when SHE was the one who dragged him into my home (to move out).

i think i just met my ex's latest bf--long story short she's my neighbor now (damn it) and he just moved in with her. luckily, i don't feel threatened by him. he doesn't make me feel like i was lacking anything or that she has something now which i didn't provide--so this is just a blessing for me. i LIKE what i've seen so far from him and my other neighbors/friends, whose judgements i trust say he's a great guy. GOOD. i don't need or want to feel superior. i need someone solid to keep her crazy ass occupied and hopefully if he is as cool as he seems he won't be able to be manipulated too much into hating me or starting isht with me. i can see my ex trying to play us against each other--hasn't happened but this is what she's good at. i'm not participating, even if he came at me incorrect while i have no problem defending myself this would be the LAST resort. there's no way i would let her manipulate both of us, two good and well meaning men, into *thinking* we were enemies. and he probably thinks i'm an ass. and frankly i don't care because i'm sure he's being lied to, it's not his fault.

you've got to see these people for the games they play. and this isn't possible until you fully understand your own motives and question why you continue to play it with them. you're intelligent, good looking, solid career, but it sounds like your exbf still has you in the palm of his hand (and his current gf in the other).
Arminius

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »

This is a tough one, all right. Accepting that you're not really "special." That you were never a real person to them, but rather a chimera of fantasy, past experiences, and need-fulfillment.

Happy, 2010,

Absolutely golden posts.
antjs

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 12:29:46 PM »

He wanted us to be friends and after speaking with a counselor, I agreed to do so.

if you know that he is BPD. why would you want an unhealthy "friend" in your life ? would you keep an unhealthy individual as a friend if he was someone else ?

Excerpt
How can you pour your heart out to someone and say that they mean the world to you and then just ignore them when you are with someone that means nothing to you.

thats what BPDs do. they have shallow momentarily feelings.

Excerpt
This isnt a jealousy issue as she is completely lacking of morals, self respect, intellect, education or dynamics.  Additionally, she looks like a motley crue groupie, stripper wanna be and the same use and mental capacity of a blow up doll.

this is jealousy. why would you mention the bad characteristics of a girl you have never known well because you are just "friends" with her bf.

Excerpt

when he did not find an available renewed attachment (you). he is clinging to his gf in fear of abandonment. for him to be with anyone even if she is not good enough is better than to be alone.

Excerpt
I confronted him yesterday and said that I refuse to be a part of this Jerry Springer drama.   He said that he was trying to find a way to break up with her.   Really?   You either do it or you dont.

it is very obvious from this statement that you are just a friend. no you are controlling too.

Excerpt
I made it clear that I already had people I was seeing but I actually have standards when I make my choices

how do you compare seeing people right now with your "friend".

Excerpt
He confesses that he loves me still, while wasting time in a useless relationship which gives me time to meet the right person and move on in a healthy relationship.

he does not love you. he needs you to survive and then he is going to discard you. he can never be in a healthy relationship without therapy.

Excerpt
This girl has no self esteem so she just does whatever he wants

you are projecting on her.

1- they do not want to fuel anything. they are lost running children trapped in the adult body. they just do whatever soothes their pain to survive not to love. they are incapable of love.

2- he is never happy in a r\s. not true happiness. he will continue to run from a supply to a supply. its a survival thing not "relationships".

3- they do not wait for reasons to erupt. they just disappear out of the sudden and do not give closure. there is no single reason for them to stay or to end it in a decent healthy way.

this man is using both of you to validate his existence. you can not control his behavior. but you can control yours. you yourself started by saying that you have been having good days and progressing. you allowed him back and did not use solid boundaries with him. he is playing you from "there will never be anything between us now or in the future." to "why did not you break up with her ?". you help him to avoid the fear of engulfment he is feeling with his gf. forget totally about him and take care of yourself. he will never get "fixed" or "helped". he is the only person that can help himself. he will not get better except through therapy when he wants to seek it.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest