Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 22, 2024, 12:26:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when you step out of the triangle?  (Read 407 times)
Iwilldecide

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 25, 2014, 06:15:37 PM »

the whole triangulation thing is really interesting to me. I am wondering. what happens when you step out of the triangle and just stop caring? Triangulation only works when all three people are playing so what happens if you stop being jealous/angry/resentful or even caring about the other person in your BPD's triangle and go neutral? do they dump that person and try to bring in a new person to get you going so you play again? My gut tells me yes. I've been in one for a while, the story is long so typical of these relationships (me, my boyfriend and his ex wife who is also his business partner). I am just so over it, tired of caring - happy for them they can be best friends, have breakfast every morning who cares at this point... but then i wonder... when he sees I'm not playing... will he bring in someone else to triangulate me who I do care about! Maybe its better to pretend like I'm jealous still just a little here and there to keep this triangle going.

Banshee

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »

I would love to know more about triangulation... It confuses me because I've always wondered can they do it with a friend?

My exbf got a guy roommate, our very next spat and breaking up took a totally different turn... the roommate doesn't work ... gets on his nerves but it seems that he's taken my place and the need to get back with me doesn't interest him.

On the other hand how special was I  if a male  roommate could take my place anyway...

Very interested in knowing more about this thank you for  posting it  Smiling (click to insert in post)
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »

I think we have a workshop here on the Karpman Drama Triangle somewhere, 'though I'm losing motivation to look for it right now.

One thing I recall about it is that when you try to step out of the triangle, i.e. stop playing the game, those still in the game will pretty much always paint you as the persecutor in the triangle, playing victim to that and trying to get another party to rescue them from you.

You don't have to play the game... . but you most likely will have to live with that accusation, even though it is (likely) twisted/fabricated persecution. This is just the price for leaving the game.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest