Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 24, 2024, 07:09:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: residential treatment facility for boys?  (Read 545 times)
Gloria3260

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: May 15, 2014, 03:40:21 PM »

Hello,

I am a new member.  We have been struggling to help my son for almost 2 years.  He is now 16 and we need to find a facility for boys.  It seems that most of the quality ones are for girls.  We are in a crisis situation and need to find a placement in the next week.

Thanks for any help!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Gloria3260

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »

Sorry, I didn't mention we are in the Rocky Mountain West but we are willing to travel!

pessim-optimist

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 10:35:58 PM »

Hello Gloria3260,   

I am glad you have found us. I can't imagine what kind of stress you are under - finding a quality facility isn't easy, our members often spend quite a bit of time researching the different facilities... . Are you under an unmovable deadline? What's happening with your son?

What happens if you can't find a facility within a week? Perhaps you can pick one to start and then do a deeper research and move him to your ultimate pick?

A good starting point might be back of "BPD in Adolescents" book by Blaisse Aguirre - it has a list of treatment centers... .

We have a whole section about RTCs, hospitalizations and IOPs here, as a sub-section of the Parenting board:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?board=4.0

It may help you along in your research and making decisions which RTC to pick for your son... .

You are most welcome to our website, and please feel free to come over to the Parenting board, which is a special section with members who have minor or adult children suffering from BPD... .

Let us know how you are doing ok?
peaceplease

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:49:56 PM »

Gloria3260,

I would like to join pessim-optimist in welcoming you to bpdfamily.   I am glad that you joined us here.  Pessim-optimist gave you some good resources.  I hope you find one that meets your needs. Like passim-optimist, I am curious as to why the deadline?

It sounds like you are going to be quite busy with your search.   I hope you will check out the parents board if you have any further questions.  We are here for you.

peaceplease
jellibeans

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 11:38:45 PM »

Dear gloria

Can we get a bit more details about your situation. How old is your son and what kind of issue does her have? Does he have a drug or alcohol problem as well? What exactly is the crisis at hand? I have asked for you post to be moved to the parent board but I am unsure if that will happen but I encourage you to repost there if it is not moved... . I want to welcome you here and tell you that we do understand and this is a good place for support.

When you go to the parent board there is a sidebar to the right and near the bottom is a link for RTC... . it is an old post but there might be some centers there you can look into. I really want to to be careful going forward... . they are centers out there that will take advantage of families in crisis and tell you anything to get you to commit... . the private RTC are very expensive and it is big business for some. Again please do your research. There are good places out there. I am sorry I do not know of one for boys... . I have a dd16 and she spent some time at a center last year. It did help her and she has made some improvements over the past year.

I would suggest you get a list of question together so that when you call a place you have it all in front of you. I am hoping someone will be able to suggest a place for you. I know the mclean 3west is a very good center but there is a waiting list to get in.

ONce you tell us a bit more info we can suggest more things you can do... . hang in there... . we are here for you. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Gloria3260

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 01:05:42 PM »

I am having trouble navigating the site.  I can't seem to get to the sub-board of residential treatment facilities. 

My son attempted suicide on Tuesday night after an escalating emotional episode he couldn't come down from.  I am looking for a long-term care facility that has an understanding of BPD.  He has been suffering for 2 years and has not been able to attend school for his soph. year of high school.  He has weeks of seemingly normal functioning, then has a self-sabotaging episode loses all progress he made.  He just turned 16.  I need to get him out of the acute care facility here.  It is the only one in the state and is awful!.  He has type I diabetes which makes placement more dificult.  We are in Wyoming and there are very few places in the entire mountain west.  We WILL go anywhere that is reputable, safe and has a school program.
Being Mindful

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »

Hi Gloria,  Welcome Glad you are here and so sorry to hear how difficult things are right now.

A few more questions... .

1. Does your son have a treating team of physician, psychiatrist, therapist? Perhaps a case manager? If so, use these people to help make recommendations of a facility. Don't accept any place, without your thorough investigation of what they offer and if it meets the needs of your son.

2. Use your school system too. Does your son have an IEP?

3. Use your insurance company too for recommendations. Do you have a mental health coordinator through them to help facilitate care for your son?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Being Mindful
jellibeans

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 04:20:28 PM »

Gloria

here is the link to the postings on RTC... . you just need to go through each one and see if there is a place that fits your son.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?board=4.0;sort=views;desc

Thank you for giving us more detail. This was your sons first attempt? ARe you aware of the cost of theraputic boarding school or RTC?
Gloria3260

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »

My son has been in acute care twice before.  He was in a residential treatment center, but a month in, he was assaulted by other patients.  The staff said they could not guarantee his safety so I had to remove him.  I am aware of the cost, but my son's life is worth it. 

How distressing that there are so few treatment centers for adolescent boys.  Most centers are heavy on the drugs or alcohol addiction treatment.  My son has type I diabetes and I have encountered centers that will not take him because of that.

There are many doors closing, but I am confident that one will open.  I am hoping that someone out there. Has therightinformation that will lead us to what my son needs.

jellibeans

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »

Gloria

I wanted to bump this post up to the top in hopes you get some new responses this week... . how is everything going? AT the top of the page the is a link to posts about RTC... . have you looked at that? I hope things are good in your world... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest