Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 08:24:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: As one who read the book, how do you rate this book?
Excellent - 2 (100%)
Good - 0 (0%)
Fair - 0 (0%)
Poor - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Co-parenting with a Toxic Ex - Amy Baker, PhD  (Read 894 times)
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« on: May 23, 2014, 11:16:17 AM »

Co-parenting with a Toxic Ex
Author: Amy Baker, PhD; Paul Fine LCSW
Publisher: New Harbinger Publications (May, 2014)
Paperback: 218 pages
ISBN-10: 1608829588
ISBN-13: 978-1608829583

Book Description
There's no question about it: your children are the most important thing in your life. But if you have gone through a messy divorce, your relationship with your children may become strained if you have to deal with a toxic ex. Your ex may bad-mouth you in front of the kids, accuse you of being a bad parent, and even attempt to replace you in the children’s lives with a new partner. As a result, your children may become confused, conflicted, angry, anxious, or depressed—and you may feel powerless.

In Co-parenting with a Toxic Ex, a nationally recognized parenting expert offers you a positive parenting approach to dealing with a hostile ex-spouse. You'll learn to avoid the most common mistakes of coparenting, how to avoid “parental alienation syndrome,” and effective techniques for talking to your children in a way that fosters open and honest response. In addition, you’ll learn how to protect your children from painful loyalty conflicts between you and your ex-spouse.

Divorce is often painful, especially if your ex habitually tries to undermine your relationship with your children. But with the right tools you can protect your kids and make your relationship with them stronger than ever. This book can show you how.

In this book, five primary parental alienation strategies are described along with many concrete and specific suggestions for dealing with them. The five strategies are: (1) poisonous messages to the child that you are unsafe, unavailable, and unloving (2) limiting contact and communication (3) erasing and replacing (4) encouraging betrayal of your trust and (5) undermining your authority. Positive and mindful parenting approaches are presented, tailored to each of these parental alienation strategies.

The book includes worksheets and exercises to help the reader apply the lessons in the book on their own alienation situation. The book is published by New Harbinger Publications, a leading publisher of psychological self help books.

About the Authors
Dr. Baker has a Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology from Teachers College of Columbia University. Her areas of research include parental alienation, child welfare, parent involvement in their children's education, early intervention, and attachment. She is the Director of Research at the Vincent J. Fontana Center for Child Protection.

Paul R. Fine, LCSW, is a licensed clinical social worker and psychotherapist in practice at a community mental health center in northern New Jersey. He has over twenty-five years’ experience working with diverse populations. His practice includes an eclectic and humanistic approach to problems faced by individuals and families.

Breathe.
needPeace

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »

Thank you,

Just ordered my copy... .

Stronger, Better, Smarter
chickenlittle123

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:19:05 AM »

I need to read this book... I am tryiong to  get out of a Toxic relationship in which I have lost two older sons to my disorded other, and now am batteling for my last 12 year old son mind...

My disordered others stradegy against me is never ending because he knows this is a effective way that he can cause me pain... . 

He encourages addicting video games as his main lure, and delivers them without cost to their minds... I

I have a 18 year old son that does not read books nor does he want to,- and spends all of his time sleeping or addicted on line to a video game called ROMG.  Please dont introduce your children to this awfully addicting game. ... The game itself becomes a means to an end to inocent minds.

My 18 year old lives talks and thinks about this game all the time as if it all he can think about and has become his only driving force for living. And my husband loves to let him do it.

My other son 16 is also addicted to video games and that is all he wants to do with his time also.

Neither one respect me or listen to me anymore, and I dont want to lose my last 12 year old son to my husbands intentional ploys to seperate us with these video games, as he knows I want to raise him differenty, due to the way the other two turned out.
sanemom

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »

This is one of the best books giving practical solutions on dealing with PA.  I felt that Divorce Poison was pretty good as well, but I feel that this book really outlines them out in an easy to read fashion with some very practical tips about what to do.  

When I think of the top five PA researchers, Dr. Amy Baker is one of them.  She has done extensive work in the field and her research is invaluable in understanding how to work in these situations as well as giving hope to the target parent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions