Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 04:36:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: As one who read the book, how do you rate this book?
Excellent - 0 (0%)
Good - 0 (0%)
Fair - 0 (0%)
Poor - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Conscious Parent - Shefali Tsabary, Ph.D.,  (Read 1102 times)
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« on: May 24, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »

The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves, Empowering Our Children
Author: Shefali Tsabary, PhD
Publisher: Namaste Publishing (November 1, 2010)
Paperback: 300 pages
ISBN-10: 1897238452
ISBN-13: 978-1897238455

Book Description
Instead of being merely the receiver of the parents' psychological and spiritual legacy, children function as ushers of the parents' development. Parents unwittingly pass on an inheritance of psychological pain and emotional shallowness. To handle the behavior that results, traditional books on parenting abound with clever techniques for control and quick fixes for dysfunction. In Dr. Shefali Tsabary's conscious approach to parenting, however, children serve as mirrors of their parents' forgotten self. Those willing to look in the mirror have an opportunity to establish a relationship with their own inner state of wholeness. Once they find their way back to their essence, parents enter into communion with their children, shifting away from the traditional parent-to-child "know it all" approach and more towards a mutual parent-with-child relationship. The pillars of the parental ego crumble as the parents awaken to the ability of their children to transport them into a state of presence.

About the Author
Shefali Tsabary, Ph.D., was exposed to Eastern philosophy at an early age and integrates its teachings with Western psychology, having received her doctorate in Clinical Psychology from Columbia University in New York. This blend of East and West allow her to reach a global audience and establishes her as one of a kind in the field of mindfulness psychology for families.

Dr. Shefali Tsabary lectures extensively on conscious parenting around the world and is in private practice. She is author of the award winning parenting book, The Conscious Parent as the newly released Out of Control: Why Disciplining Your Child Won't Work and What Will, as well as It's a Mom: What You Should Know About the Early Years of Motherhood, which debuted on the Indian National bestseller list for four weeks. Dr. Tsabary lives in New York City.

Breathe.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 06:48:49 PM »

I found this book was really important in helping me get centered with my son and letting go of what the author calls "egoic" barriers to parenting. S13 is diagnosed ADHD/ADD combined type, depressed, anxious, and ODD when he was 9. He's also gifted, and one of his counselors referred to him as a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP), with sensory defensiveness. He's wonderful, and I know it sounds so corny and cliche to say, but he's my greatest teacher. The Conscious Parent helped me put some language and understanding around that. When I feel stubborn, or anxious, or worried, or stuck in the vision and dream I have for my son, and who I wanted him to be, it's easy to forget that he is a separate person with his own way.

Breathe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition