Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 08:33:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 Year NC and almost 2 yrs broken up - an update, and what I've learned (tips)  (Read 381 times)
wrangler1217

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Single

« on: June 09, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted here!  Coming up on 1 year NC and 2 years being broken up.

Time flies.  Time really flies when you're happy too!  We haven't really spoken since this time last year.  We finally broke up in August of 2012 after a number of breakups... . with the occasional emails, texts, and a couple of hang outs until December 2012 when I didn't see her until June of last year.  By January 2013, she did what BPD people do very well - and find someone new.  They broke up in May, which is what led to her contacting me in June.  We have a few mutual friends, so every now and again, they'll bring her up.  She started dating a new guy in early August, and then I heard she got engaged around Thanksgiving... . with their marriage this weekend (which is probably why I'm on this board posting Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)).  So yes, 10 months and they're married.  I mean, I wish them the best and all... . but sadly, I know exactly how it will turn out.  In a year, it won't be what she thought it'd be, so they bring a kid into it.  The kid just made things worse, and by the time the child is 2 or 3, they'll be divorced... . starting the cycle all over again for the child.  It's not my place though... .

Ever since I really allowed myself to get over her, my life, attitude, outlook, etc... . has been wonderful.  I used to think that I'd never get over her (and for some crazy reason, I didn't WANT to).  I was in constant war with myself, where many of us feel conflicted - the heart is saying it can work and the head is saying let it go.  I blame movies for that... . in real life - logic wins every time.  The heart says the brain can't feel love and compassion... . but the mind knows exactly what the heart can handle... . which is why it always wins.   

January of 2013 was the first month ever where we didn't talk at all.  That month seemed to last forever.  It was also the month where I decided to let her go for good.  I knew I had to stay busy to keep my mind occupied.  One item on my bucket list was to record an album, so I decided to work on that.  For 4 months, I learned everything I could about recording... . and wrote 2 more songs in the process.  It took a LOT of time.  I wrote, produced, performed, and mixed/mastered the album all by myself.  I still can't believe how well it turned out.  In May of 2013, I released the 5 song EP. 

About that time too, I started coaching a powderpuff flag football team that raises money for a charity.  I've met so many new friends through it, I can't begin to say how well it's positively impacted me.  I've always been a runner, and one of the girls on the team convinced me to train with her and a local group here.  I signed up for it, and I started seeing one of the girls that paces our group.  Our relationship is very unique.  We love being around each other, but can't really let anyone know about it because A) she still works for her exbf and B) she has a 17 year old kid... . (I'm 30 and she's 36).  But it's the first girl I've really liked that I would be ok with having a kid.  Plus the fact that he's 17, he's already an adult. 

Throughout all of this though - I've learned (or reaffirmed - some of these are cliche) a few important things:

1.  No matter how tough a situation is, time is the best doctor you can have.

2.  Try not to think about the person too much.  This was a huge problem of mine, and what worked best for me was actually making a conscious effort to change thoughts when I would think of her.  Eventually, my mind became rewired to just not think of her.  This really sped up my healing.

3.  Focus on yourself.  Yes, another cliche.  But when you do things for YOU, you slowly get yourself back.  You become happier, and people see that... . and people are attracted to that.

4.  Helping others really helps you too.  From helping a friend move, to volunteering at a soup kitchen... . helping others gives you a sense of purpose.  (it's also a good way to meet caring people too)

5.  Get a dog from a shelter if you can.  Again, it gives you a sense of purpose.  You also get a bff for LIFE.  I have two, and no matter how bad my day is... . they make me forget all about it. 

6.  Be adventurous, especially if you're not naturally.  Try new things... and always go with the decision that makes for a better story Smiling (click to insert in post)

7.  I think that being a part of a group gives a sense of belonging to humans, which is essential after a break up.  Humans are "pack" type creatures, which is why humans get along with dogs so well.  We have an intrinsic need to belong... . and after a break up... . we don't feel like we're part of anything anymore.  And sadly, most of the time - old friends and family don't give us a strong enough type of feeling that we belong.  Most of the time, it needs to come from something new - like a sports team, or an interest club.  Whoever you are and wherever you are, there's something that you're passionate about - and someone that's passionate about the same thing. 

If you're trying to get over an ex, be it BPD or not - if you had feelings for the person, it's gonna take a lot of work - no sugarcoating about it.  For 6 months, I felt like I'd never feel better, but I kept putting in the time and effort.  Those investments are paying dividends right now.  Just hang in there!
Popcorn71

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »

Thanks for that encouraging post.  It is nice to know that life is good for you.

Reading your list made me realise that I am actually doing some of these things already without purposely planning to.  Some of the other suggestions, I will try.

It's good to see that things do eventually get better.
Reforming

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »

Congrats Wrangler,

It sounds like you've put the work in and are reaping the rewards.

It'll be 2 years next August since I split up with my ex after almost sixteen years together.

I felt much better a couple of months ago but I'm really struggling right now.

I'm just about to finish a project and I'm feeling very flat and black.

All my family and many of my oldest friends live in another country and I feel quite alone right now.

I know that I need to tackle this and build a new social life but my head is down at the moment. And that's when I feel swamped by sadness and regret.

Well done you though. It sounds like you're doing all the right things

FindPeace

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:52:15 PM »

It sounds like you're doing great! It's always encouraging to read posts from folks who've moved past a lot of the pain and are doing well. Thanks for posting this - there's great advice here.

"2.  Try not to think about the person too much.  This was a huge problem of mine, and what worked best for me was actually making a conscious effort to change thoughts when I would think of her.  Eventually, my mind became rewired to just not think of her.  This really sped up my healing."

This is something that I know I need to work on, and was really helpful to read. I'm stuck in an anger cycle, thinking often about how angry and resentful I feel, usually due to the fact that I hear about my ex a lot due to being in the same social circles, and it's unhealthy. Time to work on rewiring!
wrangler1217

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »

I think it's perfectly normal to think about the person, and all the what if's.  It allows us to go through the grieving process wholly.  I felt like I got stuck, and was never able to let go.  But yes, forcing my mind to take an alternate route really helped tremendously to break that cycle.  I call it the "think baseball" approach, Laugh out loud (click to insert in post).

And I'm not sure what really allowed me to move on first, because it happened all at the same time it seems.  But I'm not sure if it was me feeling like I fully let her go that allowed me to meet someone else... . or if it was me meeting someone else that made me feel like I fully let her go?  Kinda like, what came first - the chicken or the egg.

And yes, new social circles are awesome!  You can still have your old ones... . but there was just something exciting with new ones.  Also, just being open for anything can lead to something that can lead to something that can eventually change your life. 

For example, I went ahead and joined my local chamber of commerce through my work.  Low and behold, they had a young professionals organization that got together for drinks once a month.  I ended up meeting a guy there and talked football with him.  We were talking football jargon/slang I think for about an hour, and he was impressed with how much I knew.  He asked if I ever played... . and I said yep, throughout high school (I look way too little - 5'8" and 160).  It turns out he played DI in the SEC as a QB and receiver, and asked if I wanted to coach a powderpuff football team.  I said DEFINITELY... . and like I said earlier, I met someone on the team who asked me if I wanted to join a marathon training program.  I said YES... . and I ended up meeting the girl that I'm seeing now.

The moral of the story is - if I hadn't branched out on my own trying to network and meet new people AND hadn't been open for new things... . I wouldn't have met the girl I've been seeing right now... . and I wouldn't have met some amazing people.  That's the butterfly effect in a nutshell Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest