Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 03:01:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: too much contact  (Read 345 times)
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« on: July 06, 2014, 11:58:11 PM »

Background: The mother of our children moved out in early February. We have D2 and S4 together. She started an emotional affair a year ago, told me we were done early August, I saw evidence on her phone two weeks later of the physical cheating. I was abandoned in couples' counseling weeks later. Early Oct I thought there was a slim chance of working it out, but he was attached, and she in her head justified "stopping it" by not physic all seeing him. I saw her side of many conversations on our computer though. I finally called it done when I confronted her (in not one of my better moments), and then survived an emotional hell for the next four months until she could move out.

We both had Friday off, my day by the custody stipulation. She asked if she could take the kids to a farmer's market downtown. I reminded her that it was my day, but then commented since it was going to be hot, it was a good activity. I was going to take them to the park Saturday morning anyway. She kept trying to come over and drop them off, prefaced with,."I know you don't want me coming over, but it's no problem."  I kept my boundaries and said I would pick them up at her mom's. This was Thursday's text conversation.

Late Friday morning, she called and said that her family was replacing their sewage line and if I didn't mind meeting them at the mall. Ok. Turned out everybody was hungry, so we ate a quick lunch at the food court. I limited my attention to the kids and my Ex's 15 year old brother. She is inviting him to stay with them on her Friday nights ("Friday" in this case since he didn't have school). This is just like when she lived with me on the rare occasions I had to go out of town, and one 4 day business trip once. She is fearful of being alone, despite living in a gated complex. She's still the same person. I guess all the motivational speeches and Rocky videos from youtube she had going constantly on her phone weren't too much help. She made it such a big deal to leave me and move out, was waifish on FB (along with the not so subtle devaluations of me). You move. She had the means. We've all done it, including her. But she's BPD.

The result for me is that I was depressed all weekend. I felt bad for the kids. I had two BPD "nightmares" two nights in a row, undoubtedly from all of this sudden contact. I don't know if something's going on, or if I am imagining it. D2's accident is the variable for this sudden flurry of contact. Even when she was in my house, I rarely if ever had dreams, much less nightmares involving her (basically she in the dream exhibiting BPD behaviors). This included the last four months when she all but threw her r/s in my face while she neglected the kids to pursue it. I can forgive the cheating, but it's the neglect of the kids I struggle with. I need to stop dwellng in the past.

D2 is great now, and only 4 days after she broke her collarbone last Friday with her mom, was acting like nothing was amiss. I won't tell their mom that our daughter missed a step on the playground contraption yesterday, flipped once, and then flipped again land in on her back in the wood chips. I was 3 ft from her, but couldn't catch her. She cried for about a minute, then was running around as if nothing happened. Tough baby.

I took the kids to see "Earth To Echo" today. It is basically an ET/Stand By Me/Super 8 derivative, but I thought it was decent. The message at the end ( and you know it's not a "great" movie if they have to pretty much state it), was one of friendship, loyalty, and not abandoning those who need you. One character was a foster kid like I was. We sat there watching the credits roll. I had my baby asleep in my arms. I hugged her tighter, and the house lights came on as the audience exited. I stiffled my tears and took my kids home.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Aussie JJ

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: apart 18 months, 12 months push pull 6 months seperated properly, 4 months k own about BPD

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:12:29 AM »

I dont know the answer... .

I'm only starting to have my boundarys put in place now.  Even then they are more for me as I'm painted black at present.  I just want to be in my sons life more than I am... .

At the moment the behaviour that my son has is, "mommy always comes back".  This is whenever dropping him off as soon as he sees her.  He will ask me for dinner at my house, ask me to go to dinner their and cry sometimes when I tell him we have to go to mummys.  As soon as he sees her stands still, says his line.  She gets soothed, she is happy and then he knows she is in a good mood and steps forward. 

I want to name this behaviour to her and point it out however if it calms her when handover occurs, puts her in a good mood for him... .  what is the boundary I should put here... .  does it cause more harm to point this out and have her dysregulated at handovers ad she can see what she is doing... . 

None of us get it perfect Turkish.  I still want to try and help her, want to save her.  Every hour I re-read through the positive and negatives of doing this I realise I cant fill that void.  That is what hurts me the most.  I can only work on myself and as long as I am critical of myself, aware of her actions I can long term be a positive influence. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest