Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 11:28:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonight's success  (Read 389 times)
Cocoon

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 30, 2014, 09:44:59 PM »

I've been NC with a recent ex, who has BPD symptoms.

I firmly told him this week, do not come to my home again without invitation, and do not call me. If I wanted to contact him, I would do so. He needed to back off. I made him repeat this back to me, that he would not come by or call.

He has now come to my house 5 times in the past 2 days. He has called 3 times.

After he came by twice in one hour today, I decided to confront him. He had left a letter (which I'd chosen not to read, until today. In the letter he promised couples counseling, owned his actions, telling me how frantic he felt. Actually sharing feelings in writing. Or at least writing about feelings that he thinks he should have... .I don't know which is which anymore).

I was very clear. "At what point is this about your control, or about what I want? Every time I engage with you it's painful. You won't get therapy. You won't be responsible for your actions. You'd rather rage at me, check out, than listen to me."

He tells me he wants to make sure I can talk to him, since his cell phone is disconnected AGAIN, and he can't be reached by phone (this is the 4th number with connection issues due to lack payment, in 2 years). Oy.

I held my ground, and he left. I was strong. Success, I guess.

And now I'm crying, by myself, feeling like I can't really talk to any of my family/friends, because I've tried. I go into hiding, because no one wants to hear about this. And it might make me fearful to involve myself with a chaotic toxic situation, if I was looking from the outside.

What I've been reading here, is helping me stay strong tonight. I feel so weary. Thank you for listening.
topknot

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »

Be strong, Cocoon.  We have all been where you are at some point.  It is truly a journey, and you will come out stronger than you ever imagined, but you must count one day, minute, or hour at a time, and do kind and wonderful things for yourself, because you deserve them.  Even if you don't feel like it - take care of YOU.
Cocoon

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:05:46 PM »

Thank you for your kindness 
freedom33

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 03:07:38 AM »

Well done! Good for you setting boundaries like that. You should be proud of yourself!

And now I'm crying, by myself, feeling like I can't really talk to any of my family/friends, because I've tried. I go into hiding, because no one wants to hear about this. And it might make me fearful to involve myself with a chaotic toxic situation, if I was looking from the outside.

I have been/still am in the same position with regards being able to take about this to people close to me. It's a tough situation for us and also for anyone from the outside to understand. Most people have just not been through such situations.

Now I realise that a close friend of mine might have been involved with a BPD girl in our early twenties. They were together for a few years and I remember the mayhem the fiths and how he used to go on and on about how mental she was etc. but still they would be together after 10s of breaks. After a while I just switched off, I told him look 'just break it off with her what is the big deal?' and to be honest he lost credibility in my eyes. I just couldn't empathise.

This forum is great... .Although to be honest it has started becoming a bit of an obsession for me. Did I substitute the obsession with my xBPDgf with an on-line forum? I hope not.

Cocoon

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 03:22:43 AM »

Good question. It can feel like you're clinging to a rocky shore on an ocean island, and you're glad to be alive and saved, but where am I... .and what hell did I just go through? Again?

Like you, I'm fixated on BPD research. It's like the Rosetta Stone, yet the prognosis is discouraging... .

I feel a little surge of confidence tonight, on my own. I deserve to be treated well, and while my heart is tortured with mixed feelings, I stood up to the bully. No more stomping on me tonight. Uh -uh.

Depersonalizing it helps some (he's disordered, rather than some sadistic master planner). Knowing it's a mental illness, and detachment is key to my mental health surviving this. I honestly think I've aged a few years more than normal, with this stress these past 2 years.

Yay! Healthy boundaries tonight! yeah!
freedom33

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 03:35:53 AM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)    Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest